Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Happened???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: What Happened??? Reply with quote

Yesterday I was out driving my 58 Type 1 and all was well until my motor bogged down and died. Turned off the ignition and popped open the deck lid and saw fuel running out of the throttle shaft of my carb. Lots of fuel. No fire though, whew! The carb is a 28 PCI and the motor is a stock 36 HP that is Judson Supercharged. I first thought that maybe the Judson carped out. Tried to restart the car and fuel once again starts coming out of the throttle shaft and the motor will not start. The carb is like new, was rebuilt by Ed Fall here on the Samba, and has never failed me before. I have had it on the motor for about 4 months now. Got out my tools and pulled the carb off thinking that maybe my float was stuck. Not an easy job to do sitting on 100 degree asphalt by the side of the highway. Took the top off of the carb to check the float but could find any thing abnormal. Reassembled every thing and tried to start the car. She fired right up with no leaks any where. So, what I am asking is did I magically fix something by taking the top off of the carb? I am thinking that the float stuck. I put a new fuel filter and lines on the car 3 days ago. Any ideas?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the float sticks, it will close off the check valve located inside the float bowl which in turn stops the flow of fuel. Sounds like the opposite problem in that you had excessive fuel pouring into the carb & the check valve wouldn't close.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Float Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, Rare Air! So what do you think caused the problem. Fuel pressure too high?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mkkraemer,
Things that could be causing the leak are:
1. Too long of fuel pump push rod, causing too much fuel pressure. Which in turn pushes the shut off valve in the carb open, and even the shut off float down.
2. Sticking, loose, or bad shut off valve, or missing, damaged gasket for the valve.
3. Too heavy of shut off float, or it is cracked.
4. Have heard of a crack occuring in the float chamber also!
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Float Reply with quote

Thank you EricandBarb, What I do not understand is that this is the first time that this has happened and I drive the car every day. When you run a Judson on a 36HP motor you have to install a heavier spring in your fuel pump. I did this and am now wondering if my pressure is too high. The fuel pump push rod is the right length. I think I will check my fuel pressure using a guage and see what the Judson sight says is within specs. Thank you for your reply!
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: So............. Reply with quote

I have driven the Bug for the past 3 days, even got her up to 65 MPH for 30 miles and the original problem has not reoccured. Wish I knew what happened!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: