Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Probably a silly question...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerrBGone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Probably a silly question... Reply with quote

Probably a silly question, but that’s never stopped me from asking before… Think

Is it possible to put a 914-6 motor in a Vanagon engine bay or would the van have to magically become about a foot longer?

A fellow wanderer on the road less traveled

Fritz, '71 Superbeetle
Galileo, '98 New Beetle
Thunder, '85 Vanagon Westfalia (full camper)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a aircooled 6 from a 911?
http://pagetuner.com/vanagon/
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, everyone loves this idea - Porsche power for a brick. But, the Vanagon was obviously designed with a particular performance/purpose/price point in mind. The rest of the gear and the platform itself is not suited to this kind of power. I suppose if you never pushed the speed past what a stock 2.1l can do it's not an issue. But the temptation would be great.

I would think that at minimum, you'd want to upgrade the brakes all the way around if not also lower and modify the suspension to handle twice the horsepower.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a 1970 2.2 E engine with a car that I will sell you for $6000, any more questions?

That was in jest. I do have a 911, its just that the engines are too expensive to install in a bus. They are also too tall, you have to modify the engine hatch. A 917 style flat fan could be used, but once again, too expensive.

I say invest in GoWesty or Subaru if all OG is not for you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: