Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 324, 325, 326  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Sm0king deal Reply with quote

Syncro window van:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=331209

$2200 makes an ideal for a conversion or whatever.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sm0king deal Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Syncro window van:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=331209

$2200 makes an ideal for a conversion or whatever.

UGH! That thing has major rust issues r3! And look how he took care of that: With a can of silver spray paint?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro parts are EXPENSIVE. That is why I wrote "whatever." MIght make a useful mule.

Also, recall, seam rust ain't that hard to deal with. All you need is a recirculating media blaster run over the areas to clean them up of the rust. Prep, (weld?), seam seal, seal, etc....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: NOT a GOOD DEAL! Reply with quote

NOT A GOOD DEAL.

I think I have to toss this one into the mix. I am SURE they spent some money on this one. It *IS* nice. But, for the money, I can get a full Syncro Westy, I think. Not that I "need" a syncro (some debate that) but heck that is sure a lot of bling - "Oh, snap!"

NOT A GOOD DEAL.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=354968

NOT A GOOD DEAL

flying brick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to look at this van, it is in Oakville, really nice shape, great van, bank wouldn't say yes to me, so I thought I would pass it along: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=357402
Cheers, Willy.

Last edited by flying brick on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a deal..... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=356135
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually really looks like a deal (for once) Very Happy
Ever notice that every vanagon for sale that has A/C always says "has a/c, needs a charge"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't the rear bumper off a 73 chevy pick up?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Here's a deal..... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=356135

Pretty close to me... Not that I need a 6th Vanagon. (Last time I had a 6th Vanagon, I traded it for a pretty nice 79 911.)
That's in one of the prettiest places in the central United States. (Upper Misssissippi Valley.) Losta small breweries, too! It would be worth a trip even not to buy!!
The A/c systems just seem to be pretty porous. Used to be Freon was so cheap, who cared! (A few years back I parted out a 65 Olds Cutlas w/ factory air- pretty rare. this was a car we had known since new. Never added Freon in over 30 years. Vented all that nice 1965 R12 into the air. there was a lot in it!) What magic did they have then that was since lost? Better O-rings?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
every vanagon for sale that has A/C always says "has a/c, needs a charge"?
That's because the all need a charge once a year or so, unless they have had the a/c upgraded ($$.) It is (or should be) a well known fact that those long a/c lines leak. Fact of Vanagon life. Sorry.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: AC Reply with quote

69doublecab,

Americans know how to make an a/c sytems. For the europeans it is sort of an afterthought, at best. Or at least, it used to be that way. Not that the new cars are much better.

Another area the europeans don't do well at are cup holders. Ever buy a new cup holder for a Weekender? YIKES! Big bux and crappy design. Notice there are no cup holders in Vanagon full Westy campers? What idiot forgot those? Another example: I can not hardly use but one of the 4 cup holdes in my New Bettle. The one I can use sits behind me, out of my direct sight. Stupid!

End rant...

noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This van is in great shape for $600, just add engine.
Birchwood interior panels and everything.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=369316

Edit: look at that, here's an engine for $500.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=369346
pitbovver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that was a steal, i got a whole drive train for that in my garage. too far west though arrghhhh!!! Mad
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $600 that would be a perfect donor for my pop-top conversion plan. Very Happy Then part out the rest. Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too nice to gut! No matter how cheap, it is not right to slaugther a nice one. Fix the engine and sell, if you have to. But, don't kill it. Or convert it to what you want. Adding mechanical things is far easier than doing coachwork related things.

Heck you could turn it into a Syncro, too. Just have to cut and add stuff.

-W

cheri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Magic Bus! Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
I believe these vans magic, you don't find one, it finds you! Tune in and you will know when your van has arrived Very Happy

Best of luck!

Indeed! I believe in the magic.

My husband had pretty much convinced me that a Chevy cargo van would better suit our needs than a VW. I'd been watching ebay and the classifieds here on TheSamba, and was not feeling very confident in the VW vans in our price range.

THEN as I was browsing Craigslist (looking for a Chevy?) I ran across a simple ad stating the very basics, which included no rust and 72k miles. Here in the midwest that seemed just too good to be true. It was only 30 miles from me, so I figured it was worth a look. It was a few days after the listing, but we somehow managed to be the first to look at our new Westy, a brown 86 completely original full camper.

It was awesome, in great condition, owned by a retired couple who had purchased it in '92 with 20k. My husband caught the fever right away, and I was hooked before we even got there.

Truly this vanagon, named Van Everett by our 2 year old, was meant to be ours.

I need to thank all of you on the Samba for sharing your knowledge and passion. Special thanks to Kevin, Mordeaux and Walt for responding to my posts.

Cheri
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheri,

Now the fun begins. You need to get smart about the unique thngs circling around all things Vanagon. So go forth and read, read, read....

Have fun,
Walt...

riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Cheri!

Keep the road salt washed off. Seam rust can set in very quickly in our area. Way too much salt is used in Wisconsin. My Westy sits in the garage all winter. Based on the mileage and lack of rust, Van Everett's PO may have stored him in winter, as well.

If you don't do your own repairs, you will need to find a shop that you can trust.

Parman's Service on Monroe St. seems to have a different VW in their lot every day! They have been doing the neighborhood service gig since the 50's or 60's.

Have fun!

Salud,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal??????

I just post this because I find it amusing that a lurker would post this.

Waddda ya think?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=404431

kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked No way would I pay that much for that van!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 324, 325, 326  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 326

Jump to: