Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 305, 306, 307 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Is it me or does it look like this could be a steal? No affiliation:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2399798
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Trying to buy this one!

Reached out a little bit ago, can't wait to hear back
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Ellioup wrote:
Trying to buy this one!

Reached out a little bit ago, can't wait to hear back

Best of luck! Love that year and model.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Is there a guide on what to expect for road noise per year?

I assume they get better with each year, but was curious how the 85 is "rated" for road noise.

Thanks Idea
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Ellioup wrote:
Is there a guide on what to expect for road noise per year?

I assume they get better with each year, but was curious how the 85 is "rated" for road noise.

Thanks Idea

I’ve never seen a guide. Maybe something exists, but I would think it’s mostly subjective and varies from Van to Van, more so than year to year. I recall the last few years of Vanagons had extra seals at the leading edge of the front doors, but I can’t say whether that makes any real world difference in sound. Tire selection can make a big difference. So can the condition of window seals. Added / removed insulation? That will change things too.
A Vanagon isn’t silent like a new Benz. It’s a high revving toaster on the highway, so for sure there’s some noise. But I’ve never found it to be irritating. But I also prefer to listen to the pulse of my engine while I drive, rather than the radio anything else. Plus, a little road noise drowns out the kids fighting in the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Sweet thanks for the tips
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

If the van you end end up buying isn't as quiet as you'd like, there are threads on here detailing how and where to add sound deadening.

Added benefit includes a nice solid thunk when closing the driver door now instead of the original tinnier sound.

Minor, I know, but I kinda like the little things like that. Wink
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Lol same! That's why I'm getting so detailed on it (without even owning one yet!). Can't wait..
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Ellioup wrote:
Lol same! That's why I'm getting so detailed on it (without even owning one yet!). Can't wait..

Did you buy this 85?
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

YosemiteBound wrote:
Ellioup wrote:

Did you buy this 85?

Trying too/that’s the plan.

Haven’t driven much manual before but can’t be too bad to pick it up. Is yours manual or automatic?
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Ellioup wrote:
YosemiteBound wrote:
Ellioup wrote:

Did you buy this 85?

Trying too/that’s the plan.

Haven’t driven much manual before but can’t be too bad to pick it up. Is yours manual or automatic?

Manual for sure. I can't imagine having one of these in auto... Also I hate to bust your bubble but these aren't the right rigs to learn on.
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Oof yea i figured. May have it shipped..

Do y’all have any recommendations for shipping?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Ellioup wrote:
Oof yea i figured. May have it shipped..

Do y’all have any recommendations for shipping?

This will get you started.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Post on one of the existing topics with any new questions rather than in this topic. Or start a new topic of your own if you do not find what you need. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2401905

Thoughts?
Georgia Cracker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

This might be a decent deal - https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/atlanta-1985-volkswagen-vanagon/7168704575.html
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Another 85 that looks like it could be gotten for a good deal. Recent Go Westy engine rebuild and a bunch of other work. Would want to check it for any rust in person though. No affiliation.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1985-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia/7162347193.html
acal.photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Georgia Cracker wrote:
This might be a decent deal - https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/atlanta-1985-volkswagen-vanagon/7168704575.html

Curious about this one too since I'm in the southeast. Looks like rust below the kitchen and above right wheel well, sagging suspension. I'm a novice that's still on the hunt for my first van, so feel free to correct me, but with this one what it seems like is a bad body with an engine rebuild and new wheels?
Georgia Cracker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

What looks like sag looks pretty normal to me, our '85 is the same. I think an inspection is warranted. The rust may not be bad, certainly treatable. At that price I would look if I was in the market.
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Any info on this van? Advertiser didn't respond, assuming it sold but left ad active. This would be a fun project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2400054

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

"Bone stock" must not include those T&C buckets. Nice enough van other than that goof.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/375684943397855
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 305, 306, 307 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 306 of 327

Jump to: