Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 258, 259, 260 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Yeah I was just curious what people thought. I have the same opinion as you, although I really love actual westys. Side note I didn't want to offend anyone if the owner of the van saw it in the overpriced thread

I am going to join the rest here - pass. Nothing is more expensive than a neglected Vanagon.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Everything about this says scam...but I am guessing it is gone if it is not (a scam) posted 2 days ago:

Seattle folks (edmonds) $200.00 for a running 1980 Vanagon but no title

Ad:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6008629667.html

From the ad:
980 vw vanagon
condition: fair
fuel: gas
odometer: 11620
paint color: yellow
title status: missing
transmission: manual
type: mini-van
this van is in fair shape the prior owner died and no title was available

papers can be had by some work

the van has collector plates on it and can be driven anytime

need tune up and does run good as is

need to move it fast as I am needing to move and need money

200 cash now

best offer

and not you want to do this tonight money talks and I am motivated

no cash offer over 200 now wins and will deliver tonight if close
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Not mine, but could be a good deal for someone with a spare engine laying around ....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/6012481829.html

I have a 1985 VW vanagon westy model for sale selling for $3000 the van is not running it has compression issues in cylinders 1 and 3 so it needs to a rebuilt needs a rebuilt to be put in. if you have more questions you can email me and I can explain more.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

$11k for a 1986 Weekender
not sure if this is a good deal but looks fairly clean and worth mentioning here...

Port Angeles, WA
https://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/5998592872.html

1986 VW Westfalia Weekender - $10995 (Port Angeles)

Mechanically sound, well maintained, reliable, safe, Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia. ( If you would like it painted, I can do it any color you like for an extra fee.) New cylinder head gaskets, clutch, coolant hoses, tune up, belts, etc... Recent power steering rack, power steering pump, ball joints, tie rods, brakes, etc... recent transmission rebuild. Has a working Air conditioning system. Excellent stereo system. It's ready to travel!
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I'm a little torn about this ...

On one side, you are buying a Bostig conversion (with a 25kMi engine), and the other parts, and getting a (somewhat beat up) van for free. On the other, a tired tin-top for $12,500?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6015352080.html

If this was under $10K, I'd be personally tempted - would transfer the goodies to my 83.5 Westy, and hold on to the tin-top for my crazy B32 build dream I want to do someday.
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

There's a Bostig conversion on copart.com
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

You don't see Westy's this cheap anymore.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6021054785.html
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

ripe for an engine transplant. No reason to rehab an aircooled when you could drop a Bostig in there.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

That isn't a real Westy but still could be worth it if done well enough.

Mark
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Are we referring to the Phoenix ad as not a real westy? Looks real from here so how did u determine it's not legit? I'm half tempted to drive up there w 3k. I just picked up a 98 legacy w 122k and a blown tranny. Match made in heaven (or my garage). Laughing

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Yes, the Phoenix ad isn't an original Westy. Plenty of clues in the photos but the first line of the ad says it. Not being hidden.

"1984 VW vanagon with westy top and interior"

Mark
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, the Phoenix ad isn't an original Westy. Plenty of clues in the photos but the first line of the ad says it. Not being hidden.

Mark

Good catch, Mark! I didn't see that right away - but I believe you are right.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Not a van, but CLK rims (4) for $300.00 seems pretty sweet. California

Here is the samba ad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2027725
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

gregaz wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Good catch, Mark! I didn't see that right away - but I believe you are right.

The first pic shows the driver's side - and the complete lack of OEM Westy vents.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

This — https://www.copart.com/lot/19831577 — might make a nice starting point. As an auto, it might make a nice tintop camper for someone I know who hasn't mastered the three pedal dance…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
destrukt0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Does anybody have any insight on this one? I feel like it's been around for more than a year now and is priced pretty well especially considering the hightop. Who knows what's under that respray, but somebody must have checked it out at some point.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1905334
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

$45k is a lotta dough…much as I love the Vanagon vibe, if I am going to dig that deep, I might look at something else. Under all these buffed up exteriors and showcase interiors, the newest of these is 25 years old and has all that goes with that.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
destrukt0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Yup, just not many options out there for 4wd vans that can run on fuel outside the US. I've been going round and round. Currently own a JDM toyota diesel, but you're wringing the thing's neck at 60 and parts and aftermarket support are effectively zero. Tried the truck camper thing, but lack of a pass through is a deal breaker. Not sure i can bring myself to purchase anything made by Ford, but even if I could the prices for a 4x4 conversion are more than synchro for anything with less than 250k on the clock. I've been at this for more than a year and can't seem to find anything that fits the bill.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

destrukt0 wrote:
Does anybody have any insight on this one? I feel like it's been around for more than a year now and is priced pretty well especially considering the hightop. Who knows what's under that respray, but somebody must have checked it out at some point.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1905334

This thing has been for sale like forever. There is a huge thread on it started by the owner before the current owner. If you read the thread, you will see some effort to clean it up and deal with rust issues.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597183&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It eventually sold during the summer of 2014 for just under $20k. Looks like the current owner did a re-paint, a few other mods and it kinda looks like a flip for double the money. I think he's just waiting for the right buyer at his $40k+ asking price. He's been waiting a long time. The old owner made some remarks about the van last year on his blog:

https://edbee.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/get-away-van-update-wow-what-next/

The one Syncro I'd like to know about is the blue panel van Syncro that's been for sale at $22k for exactly 3 years. I re-read the description and its been t-boned "recently" and a fix is in the works. Looks like he dropped the price to $10k/trade. If you're going to do that, You might want to take down the $22k price in the header.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609000
destrukt0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

\

This thing has been for sale like forever. There is a huge thread on it started by the owner before the current owner. If you read the thread, you will see some effort to clean it up and deal with rust issues.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597183&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It eventually sold during the summer of 2014 for just under $20k. Looks like the current owner did a re-paint, a few other mods and it kinda looks like a flip for double the money. I think he's just waiting for the right buyer at his $40k+ asking price. He's been waiting a long time. The old owner made some remarks about the van last year on his blog:

https://edbee.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/get-away-van-update-wow-what-next/

The one Syncro I'd like to know about is the blue panel van Syncro that's been for sale at $22k for exactly 3 years. I re-read the description and its been t-boned "recently" and a fix is in the works. Looks like he dropped the price to $10k/trade. If you're going to do that, You might want to take down the $22k price in the header.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609000[/quote]

Thanks. I figured there had to be some shady history given then time it's been on the market.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 258, 259, 260 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 259 of 327

Jump to: