Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 265, 266, 267 ... 324, 325, 326  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Not mine just an FYI

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6163097478.html

"All the good stuff:
I bought this four years ago from the original owner who kept it well maintained. We do a lot of camping often well out in the boonies so as a mechanical engineer I have worked hard to insure reliability while adding capability. We are going to spend months on the road instead of weeks on the road now that I am fully retired. We will be pulling a camper instead; so "Elsa" needs a new home.

--Propex heater for four season camping.
--Added a limited slip differential for more than twice the traction off road, on ice and snow
--No rust
--Fully inspected last month by the Vanagon gurus at Foreign Auto Service Technicians so all the little items like torn boots taken care of
--GoWesty alloy wheels with wider and taller tires; good tread on Michelin X-ice
--New fuel pump and filters plus spare fuel pump just in case
--New drive shafts (half shafts)
--New alternator, water pump, starter, Bilstein shocks, thermostat (with spare), thermal sensor (for engine computer), O2 sensor, cap (w/spare), rotor, plugs and wires
--Added GoWesty strengthening alternator bracket
--New heater core
--Refrigerator to cabinet conversion
--New windshield
--Sound dampening (GoWesty FatMat Rattle Trap)
--New pump and faucet for sink

Includes:
--Yakima Rack with Thule carrier and gas spring lift assist to help you get the top up with the extra weight
--Second deep cycle battery runs lights, heater, USB charger, cooling fan and 110V inverter without fear of running down the main battery. Charges automatically off alternator.
--Front bike rack (modified for a Vanagon)
--Front window screen kit from GoWesty
--Removable interior cooling fan
--Tire snow cables
--Rear hatch spacer allows the rear hatch to be opened ~4 inches and be locked. The rear screen has been modified so our small dog can't get out
--Newly upholstered front and rear
--New flooring
--CD stereo has USB input
--Canvas top still in excellent shape
--Digital interior/exterior thermometers
--Bentley detailed a hop manual
--Coleman extreme cooler

The coldest I have camped out is only twenty degree nights. The heater was on less than half the time. One tank of propane lasts about five freezing nights.

In 2002 the original owner didn't get the emergency brake on tight and the bus slipped backwards into a tree. The back hatch and bumper have been replaced and the bus fully repainted. Before buying the bus in 2013 I had the frame checked (no sign of frame damage) and made sure all four tires were properly aligned both left/right and vertically (they were). Because of the cost of a new back hatch and bumper plus painting was so high compared to what used vanagon a were selling for fifteen years ago, the owner received the money for writing off the vehicle, had the back hatch and bumper replaced with used ones and pocketed the extra money. This does mean that this van is technically a salvage title. Before you panic, remember that the original owner hung onto the car for over ten years; the car was then bought by a mechanical engineer who has not only had it since, but has rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the transmission but has replaced or upgraded a wide variety items on the vehicle because he thought he was going to continue using it often for another ten years. You get a Vanagon that is 4-5 thousand dollars under valued.

Contact me with any questions:
Mark. 5O9-714-5499"
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

**Not my Ad** would make a nice start to a Doka project. Seems like a fairly rust free truck.

1988 Diesel Doka on Vancouver Island for $6,000 CAD.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=29525191&position=1&hb=6

From Add

I imported it from Germany in 2004. Has 1.6l Diesel from 82 Vanagon with less then 200' km in it. Original 1.7l non turbo engine comes with it. (Head is off, was welded in glowplug area,
new headgasket is included)
pmelliott39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

ELO78 wrote:
https://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/6159401676.html

1985 Volkswagen Westfalia Camper Van - $16500 (Menominee, MI)

With some sadness, we are offering for sale our '85 Westy "Vanaru". We've had her for 8 yrs. now and have enjoyed many road trips and weekend campouts. It was a California van to start and it's never seen winter driving since we've had it and the owner before us said the same was true with her. The body is solid with almost no rust and the interior is clean and in very good condition. All the camping equipment is in good working order. In 2013-14 we did several upgrades including the installation of a Subaru EJ22 engine, a rebuilt transaxle, Go Westy bumpers, the 15" Mercedes style alloy wheels and Michelin HydroEdge tires. Last year it was the large front brake upgrade and a headlight upgrade. There's lots more too, if you'd like to text me for details.
We feel the asking price is fair but, of course, feel free to make an offer. Thanks for looking.

Will it pass CA smog??? If yes, I may pull the trigger on it. Trying to replace my totaled '82 ASAP.

Thanks for sharing!
txmxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

pmelliott39 wrote:
ELO78 wrote:
https://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/6159401676.html

1985 Volkswagen Westfalia Camper Van - $16500 (Menominee, MI)

With some sadness, we are offering for sale our '85 Westy "Vanaru". We've had her for 8 yrs. now and have enjoyed many road trips and weekend campouts. It was a California van to start and it's never seen winter driving since we've had it and the owner before us said the same was true with her. The body is solid with almost no rust and the interior is clean and in very good condition. All the camping equipment is in good working order. In 2013-14 we did several upgrades including the installation of a Subaru EJ22 engine, a rebuilt transaxle, Go Westy bumpers, the 15" Mercedes style alloy wheels and Michelin HydroEdge tires. Last year it was the large front brake upgrade and a headlight upgrade. There's lots more too, if you'd like to text me for details.
We feel the asking price is fair but, of course, feel free to make an offer. Thanks for looking.

Will it pass CA smog??? If yes, I may pull the trigger on it. Trying to replace my totaled '82 ASAP.

Thanks for sharing!

I saw that one, looks like a good buy! I don't have the means to get out to michigan (a little outside my range for the time I would have to drive it back) but I was considering it for a bit. The subaru 2.2 is a carb legal swap and just needs a special cat from the company that did all the leg work for having that swap made carb legal (I forget their name) but if you look them up you may find it on here. Check this thread even though its about the 2.5:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502340&start=0
pmelliott39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Called the shop who supplied the engine and they said it requires the CARB sticker for CA. If not, it sounds like it could get costly and work would need to be re-done on it? I'd be willing to put more money into it to make it legal, just curious how the process works.

Thanks for any help!
txmxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

pmelliott39 wrote:
Called the shop who supplied the engine and they said it requires the CARB sticker for CA. If not, it sounds like it could get costly and work would need to be re-done on it? I'd be willing to put more money into it to make it legal, just curious how the process works.

Thanks for any help!

Search up on here and follow that link I sent, you have to have someone inspect it and get you that carb sticker. It needs that specific cat installed. Then (forgot the specific term for the official who looks at it) but they will inspect and see if it complies then provide carb sticker. I haven't done this personally and may take some running around.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

txmxer wrote:
pmelliott39 wrote:

Thanks for any help!

...(forgot the specific term for the official who looks at it)

Referee.
txmxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

campism wrote:
txmxer wrote:
pmelliott39 wrote:

Thanks for any help!

...(forgot the specific term for the official who looks at it)

Referee.

Yes! Thank you
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Looks somewhat decent for $3,100. Conversion is half done. Seller lost "focus". It's been up for 9 days, so it might be a deal only for people who know what they're doing.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6164956233.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

That sure looks like an ABA. But the ad says 2001 ABA...I thought the ABA was used 93-99. Question
dub01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

ELO78 wrote:
That sure looks like an ABA. But the ad says 2001 ABA...I thought the ABA was used 93-99. Question

They were used in Cabrios all the way through 2002.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

91 Auto tintop 125,000 miles 1 owner $3,900 Greenville SC I have not seen this van, I do not know the owner, looks clean and unmolested in the pictures. https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6173334142.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Does it seem to anybody else like the averages prices for all 2WD tin tops and for pre-'86 Westies have stabilized or are even down from previous levels?

Syncros and later-model Westies are still sky high, of course.

Keeping with the theme of the thread, this looks like a smokin' deal if it's still out there, '91 tin top for $3k:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/6154177344.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

nice if only it were closer
I haven't had a blue one yet..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Does it seem to anybody else like the averages prices for all 2WD tin tops and for pre-'86 Westies have stabilized or are even down from previous levels?

Syncros and later-model Westies are still sky high, of course.

Keeping with the theme of the thread, this looks like a smokin' deal if it's still out there, '91 tin top for $3k:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/6154177344.html

I agree,. Pretty nice car for $3k 215K miles, but that's not extremely high.
New PS lines are a plus. Seems most rust out.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelbteam Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

In Salt Lake City there is a 1988 Westy for sale for $8000. I can't paste the link right now but the ad is on KSL.com and Craigslist. I looked at it in case anyone is interested. It's a decently maintained daily driver with 250K miles and some questionable rust, so I offered less.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Salt Lake City, 1988 Vanagon Westy $8000.00
Ad:
I am selling my 88 Vanagon Wesfalia 2wd. This is a great camping van and is all original. The pop-top is in great shape as is the interior. The Paint is white and does have some rust minor rust. I have taken care of any leaks that have cropped up and she does not lose oil or coolant.
The stock refrigerator has been removed but in my opinion, this is good thing as you gain cabinet space and don't have the typical left side westy rot due to condensation from the fridge.
There is also a 52Ah house battery located under the drivers seat. This battery can run a thermal electric cooler for about 10 hours or can be used to run/charge portable devices.

Recent work done:
New clutch about 1 year ago
New exhaust about 3 years ago
New breaks about 3 years ago
New fuel lines about 3 years ago
New BFG TA KO 14 inch tires were put on 2 years ago. These are the hard find 14 inch version. They are correctly weight rated and have far better traction than most other correctly rated 14 inch tires.
Link: https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/6169295787.html
michaelbteam wrote:
In Salt Lake City there is a 1988 Westy for sale for $8000. I can't paste the link right now but the ad is on KSL.com and Craigslist. I looked at it in case anyone is interested. It's a decently maintained daily driver with 250K miles and some questionable rust, so I offered less.

michaelbteam Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I looked at it [88 Westy in SLC] pretty carefully, almost agreed on cheaper price. Engine and tranny are completely dry underneath; needs tie rod ends, and headlights, and had some rust on front suspension parts, and some seam rust but "not too bad."
I probably would have bought it for my son but I don't feel like even another "minor project" right now.
I think it could be a great beginner Westy for someone.
MattyBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

white '87 westy camper for 6k, looks like fair condition, seam rust visible. "salvaged" title.
https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/6178151785.html
txmxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Somebody buy this van haha:
https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/6140505810.html

I was extremely close to buying it, some things came up and a westy won't be the right move for me right now, as much as I want to against practicality and buy it. I paid for german wagon werks in reno to do a pre purchase inspection, compression test, and leak down on the subaru 2.2. No air conditioning though.

Engine had good numbers on the compression test and leak down passed. It needs some things like ball joints, new caliper, and a few other things (quoted at $1400 from the shop with parts/labor). I have a copy of the quotes and invoice for everything the van needs from the pre purchase inspection.

Anyway, I felt I should forward the deal to someone, and since I already paid for the pre purchase inspection. Wish I was bringing it home!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 265, 266, 267 ... 324, 325, 326  Next
Jump to:
Page 266 of 326

Jump to: