Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Our disease is such, that you are never NOT looking to buy a Vanagon. As such, when I came across this one, I thought about it long and hard. I spoke with the owner. I thought some more. And I decided to pass. Crying or Very sad

I think this is a great deal for someone who is looking to buy low, and put in some sweat equity. The engine is in there, and may be good for all we know. The interior looks too good to be true. The trans is out, probably because it's bad, but again ... Who knows?

Please direct all comments toward the owner, I have spoke with him, but have NOT seen the van in person. Located about two hours north of Phoenix, in Flagstaff.

Additional photos are ones he texted to me.

FWIW, when he first put the ad up, it was listed for $4,250 - there should be flexibility in the price for the right buyer.

https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-vw-westfalia-vanagon/6268143521.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Could maybe be a little cheaper, but this seems like a great platform to start from.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/1985-vw-vanagon-gl-4-speed/6298055087.html

"1985 VOLKSWAGON VANAGON GL

One owner since new. 127,500 miles. Selling for my neighbor who isn't driving it anymore. Never in an accident, no rust. Nice interior. Good tires. Records since new, INCLUDING ORIGINAL WINDOW STICKER from Riviera Motors Portland. Includes all original manuals and all 6 Original keys. Runs and drives great."
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Could maybe be a little cheaper, but this seems like a great platform to start from.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/1985-vw-vanagon-gl-4-speed/6298055087.html

"1985 VOLKSWAGON VANAGON GL

One owner since new. 127,500 miles. Selling for my neighbor who isn't driving it anymore. Never in an accident, no rust. Nice interior. Good tires. Records since new, INCLUDING ORIGINAL WINDOW STICKER from Riviera Motors Portland. Includes all original manuals and all 6 Original keys. Runs and drives great."

Wow, that's the most seat belt chippage I've ever seen!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Also, not sure what makes that a "weekender", but seems like a straight original rig.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

wyldryce wrote:
Also, not sure what makes that a "weekender", but seems like a straight original rig.

Pop-top, closet, full width back seat, rear facing jump seat, no galley.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

gregaz wrote:
Our disease is such, that you are never NOT looking to buy a Vanagon. As such, when I came across this one, I thought about it long and hard. I spoke with the owner. I thought some more. And I decided to pass. Crying or Very sad

I think this is a great deal for someone who is looking to buy low, and put in some sweat equity. The engine is in there, and may be good for all we know. The interior looks too good to be true. The trans is out, probably because it's bad, but again ... Who knows?

Please direct all comments toward the owner, I have spoke with him, but have NOT seen the van in person. Located about two hours north of Phoenix, in Flagstaff.

Additional photos are ones he texted to me.

FWIW, when he first put the ad up, it was listed for $4,250 - there should be flexibility in the price for the right buyer.

https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-vw-westfalia-vanagon/6268143521.html

What the hell were they trying to accomplish with crowbars in the lower rad opening? It doesn't build confidence in the maintenance program, does it?
www.thebassspa.com
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

wyldryce wrote:

I think Weekender is technically correct. The invoice on my "7-passenger" Syncro has the Weekender package (A $275 option) which I believe is just the rear bench/bed option. I don't know what the official VW terminology for the kitchenless poptop Westfalia was called but is does lead to confusion.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Doesn't look too bad for $1200.00 if its still available.
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-vanagon85-completefor/6263875064.html
coronita65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Found this one... im actually thinking about it

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-vanagon-wolfsburg-edition/6300751976.html
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

coronita65 wrote:
Found this one... im actually thinking about it

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-vanagon-wolfsburg-edition/6300751976.html

That patina is a rush! seems like a no-brainer to get that and do the head reseal job. Sun damaged/patina might be to your taste or not.. I guess the replaced slider, and the crushed in spot behind it might not be all that much fun, but price seems like a deal, and never opened curtain set is awesome!

coronita65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

yes for sure,i think im going to try to see it in person the guy own it for 17 years, it also has a spot of rust in the passenger side windshield corner which it leaks inside

check this one out too https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-vanagon-weekender-project/6273488651.html
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

$19,500 1987 Full Westy with rebuilt WBX 2.1L and rebuilt Auto Trans
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1987-vw-vanagon-westfalia/6322517605.html

Seems like a nice price, looks like all of the necessary upgrades are there (suspension, cooling, brakes) ...doesnt state anything about fuel lines though.

Anyways, for a van w/ Gowesty bumpers, interior battery, CLK wheels and a rebuilt engine and trans...seems like a good deal

cheers

ad:
1987 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Westfalia w/Automatic Transmission. Only 2,000 Miles On New Factory 2.1L Engine w/Upgraded AMC Cylinder Heads! Wolfram Grey Exterior w/Grey Interior In Good Original Condition. Late Model Westy With Many Upgrades: Power Steering, Power Mirrors, Programmable Wiper Relay, CD Player, Rubber Floor Mats Throughout, Gowesty Battery Isolator w/Dual Secondary Batteries & 1,200 Watt Power Inverter, Yakima Roof Racks w/Basket, Gowesty Heavy Duty Steel Bumpers, Upgraded Bilstein Suspension, Set Of 5 Gorgeous 16" Forged Aluminum Mercedes CLK Wheels & 215/70r16 BFG All Terrain Tires. Full Camper Model Has Fridge, Sink, Stove, Cabinets, 12V Outlets, Front & Rear Tables, Pop-Top w/Full Upper Bed, Curtains & Dual Swiveling Front Seats. Curtain Set Complete Including Front Wraparound, Skylight Screen Cover, Bug Screens For Sliding Windows & Rear Hatch. All Camper Features Are Fully Functional! Very Well Maintained Vehicle With Many Records. Halsey Automotive In Portland Built & Installed New $5,500 Engine Just 2k Miles Ago! Recently Had Auto Transmission Replaced w/Low Mileage Freshly Re-sealed Unit & New Torque Converter. Runs & Drives Great! Clean Title Accident Free West Coast Van Doesn't Have Any Rust Issues. Original Paint & Poptop Canvas Have Numerous Blemishes Expected Of A 30 Year Old Van. E-mail or Call/Text (206)Three49-4Three44. Also Have Gowesty Lift Springs & Removable Rear Facing Jumpseat Which Can Be Included If Further Lift Or Seating For A 5th Person Is Desired.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1986-vanagon-syncro-svx-swap/6322598471.html

1986 Syncro tintop w/ SVX swap
+ an '84 Westy...
$16000

Shocked Cool
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

That is certainly not a 1984 westy, but there's a lot of value there for somebody with the skills to make it all happen.
TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

1990 Syncro for $11k OBO on Santa Barbara Craigslist. No affiliation, and not sure whether it's a good deal (given the work it needs), I'll let the Syncro folks weigh in. Just putting it out there to the greater community.

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-vw-syncro-vanagon/6328804486.html

The text reads:

Im selling my 1990 VW Syncro Vanagon Its in Santa Barbara, CA, it hasn't been driven in a few years as we have been driving the truck for a 4x4. Last time it was started it ran and drove but its been a while. Known issues are transmission won't enter Low "Creeper Gear" probably worn, leaky head gasket and some rust. As all Vanagons, it needs some work but will serve you well if taken care of. It has the larger "South African Rims" which greatly improved its footprint from the stock wheels and new tires and full-size spare. has great ground clearance and has 155k miles. asking $11k obo if interested send a message or give me a call
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Seems like "good deal" is too elusive anymore, so I will just hope "a good deal" applies on this Wolfie... Not sure the guy knows what year it is, really.

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-volkswagen-vanagon/6320205387.html
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

TopaTopa wrote:
1990 Syncro for $11k OBO on Santa Barbara Craigslist. No affiliation, and not sure whether it's a good deal (given the work it needs), I'll let the Syncro folks weigh in. Just putting it out there to the greater community.

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-vw-syncro-vanagon/6328804486.html

The text reads:

Im selling my 1990 VW Syncro Vanagon Its in Santa Barbara, CA, it hasn't been driven in a few years as we have been driving the truck for a 4x4. Last time it was started it ran and drove but its been a while. Known issues are transmission won't enter Low "Creeper Gear" probably worn, leaky head gasket and some rust. As all Vanagons, it needs some work but will serve you well if taken care of. It has the larger "South African Rims" which greatly improved its footprint from the stock wheels and new tires and full-size spare. has great ground clearance and has 155k miles. asking $11k obo if interested send a message or give me a call

Not really a good deal. Tintop syncro with rust,bad trans and in need of engine rebuild is $3-4k tops
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

$29k 1987 Westy Syncro with 2.5 Subaru conversion, Bellingham WA
Also not sure if this is a "good deal" but maybe of interest:

What I can't tell from the ad is if this is a converted top van or if it came with the poptop from factory.

link:
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-westy-syncro-multi-van/6319627035.html

Ad:
1987 Syncro seats 7, with all the Westfalia advantages like swivel seats, 2 tables, rear cabinet, and sleeping room for 4. 1990 Multi-Van full length couch and 2 bucket jump seats are the perfect arrangement for road trips and ski weekends; and with the addition of a Fiamma 10' awning, also an excellent family camper in the Westfalia style. Body has 293,000 miles. The 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5L, installed in 2015 by Small Car, has only 50,000 miles and means carefree freeway driving. Smooth functioning all-wheel drive and "on the fly" locker adds winter driving & off-road confidence. No drips or leaks, always professionally maintained. Includes all curtains, screens, table trays. Loaded with extra's like a 6 speaker Blue-Tooth stereo; Yakima roof rack and 21 cubic foot Skybox, 6 bike Northshore rack, 10' Fiamma awning, and performance exhaust. New paint is all this one needs. Please email me for a complete maintenance record, we can geek out together on the details. Thanks for looking.
Seamoar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

What do we think about this guy? 13K for an 87 weekender with decent body.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/6322632137.html

I'm thinking about having a look see - I'm on the hunt for a weekender, like the color, and he'll be driving the van practically through my backyard. If I bought at this price I'd have another 10-12K in my budget to spruce it up professionally. Any red flags aside from its history going to Michael Franti and Phish concerts? Laughing

Here's additional info from the owner who was fast to email me back on CL:
Re: issues: Off the top of my head - the oil leak, the screen from the pop up tent is missing, the fan/heater switch stuck last time I used it and I didn’t get around to pulling it apart to see why...and the odometer started moving really slow and then just pretty much stopped...the temp gauge seems to be sporadic as well - there has been no overheating, but it sits too low so I suspect it. Not sure what is going on with the instrument panel but it is probably all connected.

I do not have the jump seat or any receipts. I’m pretty sure that the previous owner had some work done at the No Name Garage in Eugene, Oregon but he didn’t have any receipts when I bought it. Maintenance has been regular and was with him as well.

Super reliable for us and also for previous owner. He did multiple cross country trips - he was an older baby boomer that went to a lot of Phish and Michael Franti shows with it. For us, we stayed in Oregon and did Descend on Bend in 2016 which was pretty awesome and a lot of coast camping trips - longest trip we did was Portland to San Francisco which I am going to be doing again on Monday. Previous owner told me he was selling it because his partner didn’t want to sleep in a van.

Small rust in the usual places but as I recall nothing serious.
[/img]
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Seamoar wrote:
What do we think about this guy? 13K for an 87 weekender with decent body.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/6322632137.ht'll

I think you should go look at it but not buy it. Body isn't that great. That is a rhino liner bra and some other odd spots. The stuff off the top of his head will be only half of what a thorough inspection will turn up. He sounds honest but I wouldn't be surprised if miles were higher. And must not have been a Cali van it's whole life. For 4-5k more you could get something that you won't have to put as much money into and with a better body to start. But if it's close enough you should go look for comparison.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 269 of 327

Jump to: