Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Yes I agree.
What surprises me is how much the Vanagon/Westy is in general. The high mileage (anything over 150K) is still starting at 20K and even reaching 50K. I know nothing about the Vanagon. Can anyone explain how many miles the Vanagon engine can reach before most step away?

I try to do most of the work on my 67 Westy, it's easy and simple but there will be a day that I upgrade to roll up windows and heat for winter. My daily driver is an 85 mini truck so I'm starting to think the Vanagon is the way to go in transition.

I don't know if there is an explanation regarding how many miles before stepping away. I bought my '87 with 270K mi on the engine, and did some top end work, and now its close to 340K mi. The rod bolt failure seems to be pointed at by many skilled, and knowledgeable owners and mechanics. However, there are some that say that is not as easily assigned the blame as plenty of other factors. The simple answer is to take care of the rig, drive it as intended, not like you stole it. Also, the rod bolt mystery is (almost) easily resolved. There are brand new rods to be found from several big vendors. All you need to do is to follow the 1.9 WBX specs to torque the bolts, and NOT Torque To Yield as the 2.1. One revered builder that sometimes posts here explained that it is not the bolt that is the problem, it is how TTY is actually partially destroying the bolt. If the tool that did the TTY on your particular engine was out of spec, or the bolt had been manufactured a little off, well, obviously the failure LOOKS like the mentioned rod bolt failure. The actual truth is that nobody can actually know. My advice would be to find a spare engine that came out of a running rig and install new rods/bearings/etc. You can get the rods out without splitting the case. I'm not saying any of that would be easy, but it sure would be peace of mind. Engines often can be found by calling around to places that do transplants.

Since you are an air cooled driver, you must have at least some basic skills to keep it running. If you've been inside your ac engine, there is very little difference, and quite a few parts that are exactly the same. I also came from the air cooled world and although there is a learning curve to the WBX, you will most undoubtedly be a fast learner.

Perhaps your question about stepping away is based on seeing that some folks transplant other engines into their rigs. I was hell bent on doing a transplant when I first got my '87 (my first Vanagon) and collected all the needed bits. I never drove a transplanted bus so little did I know about what the transplant would do. I've heard that a Subaru 2.5 will eat a manual transmission in short order if you don't get a proper rebuild done on it specifically for the 2X(+) 'power' that is now going to go straight out your foot. The Automatic trans is supposedly more able to handle it though. I did not put the Subaru in my '87 but instead, when my daughter's 2.1WBX (with auto trans) blew its floppy water jacket seal and all the coolant dumped, I steered the pile of Subi stuff on her Wink Much later, I acquired an already converted TinTop with an EJ22 and manual trans. I truly fear for that trans, as it has been mated to the EJ22 for ~10 years. Super fun to drive though Wink

However it turns out for you when you move to a Vanagon, I am sure you will enjoy it if you do the work of maintaining it. Nothing 30+ years old will be fun to drive or reliable without good maintenance. But, you already know that as an old bus owner.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

In the Bozeman area.

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/d/belgrade-1987-volkswagen-gl-van-retro/7497939381.html

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

'82 passenger diesel for $1200 in PA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602765241165277
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

campism wrote:
'82 passenger diesel for $1200 in PA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602765241165277

that van must have been in the barn behind it for a long, long time. I grew up in that area of Massachusetts and lost more than a few vehicles due to road salt.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/d/arroyo-seco-1990-volkswagen-vanagon/7510749083.html

Found this on my daily craigslist search. This belongs to a buddy of mine that has a history of selling stuff below market value. He sold his last westy to a mutual friend about 12 years ago. Same deal, mechanically sound, needed bodywork and a paint job which they had done in Albuquerque. I still see them driving it around town all the time.
I have only seen this van once when it was taken apart in his shop but I do know that he has been through every inch of the drivetrain and he is a highly competent mechanic .

As I recall its a rust free New Mexico van but I did not bother to read the absolute novel of an ad he posted
vwolder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

VW T3 DoKa Syncro 16" ELW FTA

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/volksw...nt=app_ios

With the dollar being so strong against the Euro and all that

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

vwolder wrote:
VW T3 DoKa Syncro 16" ELW FTA

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/volksw...nt=app_ios

With the dollar being so strong against the Euro and all that

Seen this one on Busman. Certainly a collectors item and a very interesting item at that.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/aptos-1985-vw-westfalia-vanagon/7516197720.html

1985 VW Westfalia Vanagon - $20,000 (aptos)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Hillcrest Dr near Mar Vista
(google map)

1985 1985 VW Vanagon
condition: excellent
fuel: gas
odometer: 109675
odometer broken
paint color: brown
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: bus
This is a Wolfsburg Edition camper van in excellent condition. One owner with complete maintenance records.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/aptos-1985-vw-westfalia-vanagon/7516197720.html

(google map)

1985 1985 VW Vanagon
odometer broken
This is a Wolfsburg Edition camper van in excellent condition. One owner with complete maintenance records.

I never understood why people post "for sale" ads like this (assuming its real, and not a scam). One 10 foot photo, and two sentences that really don't do anything to describe the vehicle. GLWS I guess?
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
1988M5 wrote:

(google map)

1985 1985 VW Vanagon
odometer broken

I never understood why people post "for sale" ads like this (assuming its real, and not a scam). One 10 foot photo, and two sentences that really don't do anything to describe the vehicle. GLWS I guess?

This isn't my van, simply just a Craigslist AD I happened across and thought it would be kind to share to the Samba community.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I spoke with the woman selling the van and because it's close, I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. $20K is a big number for me to spend on a vehicle I don't need but if it's super clean, I may just buy it just to flip or give to my dad. Advise is wanted here for value.

Thanks,

BK
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
1988M5 wrote:

(google map)

1985 1985 VW Vanagon
odometer broken

This isn't my van, simply just a Craigslist AD I happened across and thought it would be kind to share to the Samba community.

I understood that you are not the seller of this van. I was just stating a gripe in general I have with postings like that. I can see the confusion though. Thanks for sharing the post, and let us know what the van is all about once you see it in person.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/soquel-vw-westfalia-camper-1989/7520473505.html

VW Westfalia Camper 1989 - $18,900 (soquel)

I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

How much discount do you folks think a salvage title is worth?

Cheers,

BK
EL31415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
I spoke with the woman selling the van and because it's close, I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. $20K is a big number for me to spend on a vehicle I don't need but if it's super clean, I may just buy it just to flip or give to my dad. Advise is wanted here for value.

Thanks,

BK

Add $10k fir future mechanical fixes.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/warrendale-1987-vanagon-syncro-project/7524105254.html
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Not sure if it's a deal or not - 87 Syncro Westy 25k CDN

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/756501935426107/
slapin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Not sure if it's a deal or not - 87 Syncro Westy 25k CDN

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/756501935426107/

If you're in the US, it's ~$18,500 for a syncro, which would be nice. That spare tire swingarm bolted to the side of the car hurts my sensibilities.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Here's a 1982 Vanagon from a Nebraska auction. Body looks solid. Probably could get it for next to nothing. Lots and lots and lots of oddball trucks and commercial vehicles up for sale this month (26 & 27th)

Lot #1003 page 19

https://bidnebraska.hibid.com/catalog/395414/rob-van-vleets-nebraska-truck-hoard-auction/?cpage=19

Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Decent syncro with some body work required: https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/vw_t3_syncro/104748684

As long as you don't mind importing it from Sweden Very Happy About $8300.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

It has new wheels and tires. Looks like someone was trying to restore it. Why is it for sale? Blown transmission?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326  Next
Jump to:
Page 322 of 326

Jump to: