Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

If you're on the fence, or questioning the validity, benefit, or whatever about going the Mansi Speed EFI conversion route to solve ALL your running problems due to aging wiring, connectors or components...get off the fence!

I took Gossamer (our 1991 Vanagon Carat w/ 176,000 miles on the clock and running poorly) to The Dub Shop on Thursday of last week to get the swap done by the 2 wizards of EFI & WBX tuning Marco Mansi of Mansi Speed, and Mario Velotta Jr. of The Dub Shop. Boy was it worth it.

I drove the 260 miles at or below the speed limit - primarily because that's all I could get it to do except on downhill grades - and constantly monitored the coolant temp because of how hot it was, and how hard Gossamer was working. I legitimately doubted my sanity in doing so, and kept feeling my pocket for my AAA card. I kept thinking..."Please break down within the 100 mile radius of The Dub Shop, or my home!"

Early Thursday morning, I met the alchemists The Dub Shop, and Marco met me with a grin and asked for the keys to go evaluate how it was running. It was weird seeing someone else drive off in it, but I knew it was in good hands.

Marco got back from the drive and told me it was a strong motor, and I would love how well it drove afterwards. It kinda reminded me of when my wife and I got to the hospital for our first child's birth. The doctor was cool and confident as he was a veteran of this kind of thing, and I was the newbie...wondering what the hell was gonna come out of this experience.

So...they got to work. Marco dismantled the engine bay's wiring and components that would be removed...never to grace Gossamer's engine bay again...while I periodically looked on. He and Mario made the installation look easy, which actually speaks volumes of the quality of the components which where going back in and were laid out for me to drool over.

I pitched in to do my part and replaced the fuel filter and fuel line from the tank to the engine bay with the Gowesty fuel line kit to ensure no leaks, and prevent the dreaded engine bay fires that happen to these things with age. I also replaced the fan resistor behind the headlight which also was due for a replacement.

Several hours after they began the drama-less installation, they had me come out and cycle the ignition several times to build up fuel pressure before the start. The suspense was killing me, but when they said fire it up...it did! It fired up, stumbled a couple seconds, then smoothed out immediately. It was like hearing Q cry for the first time...just a lot less expensive.

Anyway, after some checks to make sure we were good, and a slight tweak of the settings based on my AC system, we went for a drive with Marco driving, Mario out back monitoring things on the laptop, and me riding shotgun. I burst out laughing at how powerful it felt, how quickly we got up to speed in the industrial complex, and on the road. I was literally stunned at the transformation...then we ran out of gas about a mile away!

In my attempt to record as much data for a comparison of before and after, I didn't fill the tank right before I got there...and we paid the price. Laughing our butts off. A cool neighbor gave me a King's Ransom worth of dead dinosaurs and that got us to a gas station to properly fill-up. Me grinning like hell the whole time because it was literally mind-blowing how much power it had to accelerate and how smooth it idled from the beginning to the end of the drive.

After staying another couple days to help out around the shop for Dan's installation, I drove home at a rather silly speed. I drove 10 mph+ all the way which was 70-84 mph because...well because it did it effortlessly. I literally had never been in the left lane on the highway before in Gossamer, and I was doing it, getting thumbs up and people smiling at the ridiculous sight I must've made. Loaded up with a lot of gear inside, my Yakima SkyBox up top, with 17" wheels with 200 tread wear 215 & 245 width rubber - not great for economy - and windows down, driving like a madman netted me 18.6mpg!

In case you missed my saying it earlier...DO IT!

To Marco of Mansi Speed, and Mario of The Dub Shop, thank you immensely. The upgrade has me smiling again. I even went and ordered new headlights and a driver-side window regulator so I can drive it more!

Do it. DO IT. DOOOOO IIIITTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Now, to modify the sliding door hinge to clear those big-@$$ rear tires.

https://mansispeed.com/

Last edited by DORIGTT on Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

At the hotel the night before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was hoping I wouldn't eat these words on the drive up!

Goodbye stock nightmarish EFI

DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Here's the kit in its entirety - minus the injectors compared to the original harness Marco pulled out.

Out with the old, and in with the new...

DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Nasty old, and slick and shiny new intake plenum with the MAP sensor.

Old fuel pressure regulator vs. the sexy billet piece from the kit.

DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

The maestro himself...get it? Italian...

Factory ECU vs the pre-programmed for my application Microsquirt ECU.

Old coil vs. the new coil-on-plug setup and ignitor. Almost feels modern just saying it.

DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Old nasty throttle body vs the rebuilt one from Marco.

Factory box that gets modded to house relays in such a neat fashion.

DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Cool prototype intake tube to eliminate the AFM flapper restriction. I said I wanted to be the test dummy for it.

Then I complained that it would stand out in my engine bay, so they made me one in black.

I'm super impressed with the new wireless distributor that uses bluetooth to feed the spark plugs.

I even got in on some of the fun by crawling under Gossamer to install the fuel line kit I got from GoWesty! No fuel related fires in my Vanagon!

Last edited by DORIGTT on Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Why do we look happy? Because the installation was a success, and running smoothly.

The test drive was so damned flawless...minus the running out of gas part...that Gossamer accelerated so hard, it peeled paint off the roof!!!!

I recorded my max speed before I hit traffic...

And here we are at home. My son...Gossamer will be his when he starts driving, according to him... was really impressed with the newfound performance and smoothness from Gossamer.

One last look around the engine bay after running an errand in 105 degree heat.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Looks good.
If you don't mind revealing, what was the bottom line $?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards getting this kit, I think Marco quoted me $2400.

That's for the kit, no installation.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

DORIGTT wrote:
Cool prototype intake tube to eliminate the AFM flapper restriction.

Surprised

My dad would love that! He shakes his head at the intake every time the engine lid is off.😆
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Looks good.
If you don't mind revealing, what was the bottom line $?

$2,450 for the plug&play system.
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

DORIGTT

Noticed y'all left the distributor in, is that to avoid pulling the drive gear?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

this is very cool. congrats to Marco and his team for the extensive development, and you of course for buying!

everything looks great... but i'm unfamilair with wireless distributors. the thought of it communicating via Bluetooth wierds me out! Marco doesn't do things haphazard so i'm sure it's solid but as a former broadcast engineer, i would worry about all sorts of interference. more details??

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

remraf wrote:
DORIGTT

Noticed y'all left the distributor in, is that to avoid pulling the drive gear?

If one of the washers falls off the distributor drive gear while removing it...you've got to split the case.

Purely a safety thing to NOT have to do an impromptu rebuild.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

looking at the harness, there's a new loom plug going to the distributor... must be using a Hall signal for something and the Bluetooth wireless aspect might pertain to interfacing with the ECU system for curve adjustments and observational data without relying on it for crucial engine running data. just a guess.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Anyone looking for this on the West Coast, go where I went... Mario Velotta Jr. @ www.thedubshop.com for the install if you want it done vs. doing it yourself.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

I wonder, how proprietary is this setup?

I know that GoWesty made a replacement fuel injection system and eventually abandoned it.

If I need a MAF 10 years from now...... where do I get one?
Is the one used in the kit from a standard production car?
Other parts, the computer, injectors, temperature sensors, throttle switches.......
If they are off the shelf pieces, will you let me know about spare parts availability upon purchase of the kit?
Or must I completely depend upon mansi for any replacement parts way into the future?
And what happens if Mansi decides "I'm not doing this any more"?

Not unlike what GoWesty did, what 10c did with rebuilding engines,..... as so many other niche product producers have done over the years.
Even the simple Window and vent screens.
Stuff just vanishes..........

Calm my fears please..........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I wonder, how proprietary is this setup?

I know that GoWesty made a replacement fuel injection system and eventually abandoned it.

If I need a MAF 10 years from now...... where do I get one?
Is the one used in the kit from a standard production car?
Other parts, the computer, injectors, temperature sensors, throttle switches.......
If they are off the shelf pieces, will you let me know about spare parts availability upon purchase of the kit?
Or must I completely depend upon mansi for any replacement parts way into the future?
And what happens if Mansi decides "I'm not doing this any more"?

Not unlike what GoWesty did, what 10c did with rebuilding engines,..... as so many other niche product producers have done over the years.
Even the simple Window and vent screens.
Stuff just vanishes..........

Calm my fears please..........

Dave

It's a microsquirt system, so about as open as you can get since it's megasquirt based. I'm sure Marco will disclose but the beauty of megasquirt based systems is people working out support for tons of OEM off the shelf parts. I wouldn't be surprised if Marco is using standard plain old GM sensors for most of it. Unless I'm wrong this system would increase parts availability compared to the old factory system or gowesty's.

I've been waiting on this vs trying to roll my own MS system. Gowesty lost my interest once it became clear they intentionally sealed their system and don't allow access via laptop. I would assume you can download TunerStudio (free) and connect to this like any MS system. And there are a ton of MS support companies and forums on the internet.
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
looking at the harness, there's a new loom plug going to the distributor... must be using a Hall signal for something and the Bluetooth wireless aspect might pertain to interfacing with the ECU system for curve adjustments and observational data without relying on it for crucial engine running data. just a guess.

Pretty sure it's coil on plug with crank trigger, so that distributor isn't doing anything.

Probably a typo earlier but being megasquirt it's a CANBUS compatible so buying any of the obd port bluetooth dongles will allow you to see whatever the ecu is reading. This could also allow easy digital gauges etc. as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: