Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Airstream Trailer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bay74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
here is a hotel in wildwood, NJ a buddy of mine designed. it got so popular, they needed more rooms. scroll down to the bottom and check out his solution.

http://www.thestarlux.com/rooms.htm

I have seen that place a few times, It is a very popular motel/hotel.
That looks really cool, having the trailers.
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone of you know who owns the green and white Westfalia trailer with Westfalia bus? It's very important that I contact the owner.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Little Guy Tear Drop Trailers Reply with quote

I am having the rust removed from my '59 Double Door Kombi at MetWiz in North Carolina. We're moving from Virginia to California this summer.

Plan on towing my rust free rolling bus with my Sierra cross country. Instead of getting a UHaul for the extras that don't fit on the Moving Truck,
I plan to stuff them in my Double Door.

ONCE I do finish the Double Door, I plan on spending plenty of nights in Yosemite or along the Monterey Coast.

I like these trailers and think they should tow extremely well behind my bus:
http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

I've seen them in person and are very adaptable to whatever your needs from sleeping in them to having a beer tap in them. They weigh from 680#'s to 980#s.

My only concern is you load my bus up with two adults and two kids, add gear, add bikes, toys and coolers and then head up to the MOUNTAINS and it may put too much strain on the engine...

I haven't got an engine yet but would love to find a setup that puts out enough hp to get her up a grade at a reasonable speed without overheating and while tugging along a small trailer.....any ideas?
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: airstream Reply with quote

I have seen an airstream pulled by a man on a bicycle. It was one of the small ones. . . a "Bambi".
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Little Guy Tear Drop Trailers Reply with quote

vdubud wrote:

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

I've seen them in person and are very adaptable to whatever your needs from sleeping in them to having a beer tap in them. They weigh from 680#'s to 980#s.

My only concern is you load my bus up with two adults and two kids, add gear, add bikes, toys and coolers and then head up to the MOUNTAINS and it may put too much strain on the engine...

I haven't got an engine yet but would love to find a setup that puts out enough hp to get her up a grade at a reasonable speed without overheating and while tugging along a small trailer.....any ideas?

Personally I think that the trailer is too heavy. If you can, try to use a rack and tent for all the junk. Make sure the bus is sound mechanically and don't stress the engine even if it means going really slow and letting batches of cars past. I've had my 1500 fully loaded with a tiny trailer (maybe 300# loaded + 50#? for the Westy hitch) and all the gear with only 2 people, icebox, water, full tank, etc going over all over the steepest passes in the sierras and rockies. A gypsy way of controlling the engine is: in gears where you could rev and shift but it would bog, don't. Stay in the lower gear with the gas pedal only 2/3s max. On higher gears, stay 1/2 throttle. Never shut it off to pee at the top of a long grade, always go down the other side to cool it off a tad. I also think that the sweltering humid heat is harder on an engine than mountain roads. If you haven't put together an engine then get going and get it reliably broken in. Consistency is the key even if it's constantly breaking and you know what to do to get going again.
life long VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: towing the Apache Reply with quote

Back in the day 61-63 we were a family of 5 then 6. We had a bastard 40hp 1960 deluxe. We towed an Apache Silver Eagle tent trailer and often a canoe on top. The motor blew when we drove from Ill to CA going over Tehachapi so we spent a few extra days in Barstow while the dealer rebuilt it. Other than that, we had some great fun together with that setup. We just took our time. I can't say how it drove or stopped but I don't recall any serious issues, thought I would guess we were maxxed out weight wise. I still have and use the Apache but haven't hooked it to my bus yet (no hitch). Dry weight is probably around 450lb ish and the low profile makes a good match for the bus.
I know, "If I don't have pictures, it didn't happen". One day I will find pics for the vintage/family/microbus gallery. Mom still has them.
66 21 wndo deluxe microbus
59 bug
63 kombi w/ SO-22 westy
66 squareback
59 logoed standard bus Orangevale Baptist Church
58 PG/SG sunroof /safari standard
94 golf
2013 Bettle TDI (cheater)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: