Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much is too much? Horn Voltage...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: How much is too much? Horn Voltage... Reply with quote

Ok, so I got the day off today(unexpectedly), and it's Bus, Bus, and more Bus.......Installed the SVDA(a cardone rebuilt) and Bessie seems almost turboesque.......I can pull the 8% grade up into town(9500ft elevation) at over 40 mph instead of 33 mph, and acceleration is better and smoother! Best $60 I have spent on Bessie...Who ever decided the 009 was a good idea for a bus, needs to be taken out in the woods and SHOT!

And now to the question you have all been waiting for.....I took off the steering wheel, with my knees under the wheel pushing up hard and smacked the shaft using a maul and a wood dowel. It took a few smacks, but just as steponmebbbom says, it will pull off without a puller. I reconnected the unconnected wire to the insulated shaft housing, black taped it all up good, and all is well.

Execpt that I seem to be showing a 4~5 volt draw on the wires right at the horn all the time with the key on. My horn is non-functional at the moment so I dont know if that is acceptable or not. When I depress the horn button it goes right up to 12.75.....I am waiting for Richard at OE VEE DUB to get some more in stock, as his store is just up the highway from me.

So, what say the bus gurus of the Samba? Is a 4~5 volt draw too much? Do I need to replace the wire in the shaft?

On edit: If your bus is running, or just with the key ON, what kind of voltage do you have at the horn wires without depressing the button?

Peace

p.s. Thank Budha this site exists, as I have really learned so much from lurking, and reading a zillion posts!

Last edited by 73kombi on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the draw is all the time? Even when the key is off? It may indeed be too much --- SOMETHING is grounding out somewhere it sounds like - possibly. I aint a horn guru but in my own experience

x = reading

if x=0 volts = off
if x > 0 volts = on

Congrats on the Cardone --- I did the same for my 71 and I am very happy as well.

1963 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm saying when the key is off it's .016 volts......digi meter. But when the key is on, I'm showing 4 volts at the horn, which makes me believe I'm getting a small grounding somewhere in the column, which really sucks.......as it's all back together now.

Just wondering here if that is kind of normal (I know it's not), or if other folks have a similar kind of working horn. In other words, if a working horn is getting 4 volts, will it remain quiet?

Sound confusing?

peace
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are at the stage I wanted to be before I decided to pull my steering column to fix a few other issues. Have you tried to adjuest the horn at all, to see if the horn is functioning properly? I beleive I read in the Bentley, that the adjustment should be set at the lowest possible amperage pull AND the horn sounds proper. Have you tried to pull th ehorn off and get it to work properly with another power source?

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn is dead, no worky on the bench, no worky at all.......I can afford the $12 for a new one, I'm even considering putting on an aftermarket ahoooogaa type horn.

Does anyone have any ideas on ahoooga horns and where to get them? Like checker or advance auto?
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahooga Booga!! I put two semi truck air horns under my bus on the left and two old cadillac horns under the bus on the right. Please cut in front of me.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi trick horns run on compressed air........did you install an air comp on the motor? or do you just have a semi truck simulated electronic horn?
I am thinking now that stock will not be loud enough to cover my stereo.......so perhaps I will install an aftermarket noise maker under Bessie........

But I am still concerned about the constant 4 volts at the horn with the key ON. I'm sure it's a mild ground short in the column now!

peace
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have their own compressor and tank. go to http://www.groverproducts.com/index.html
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: