Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

first paint job
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: first paint job Reply with quote

Bout a year ago I started tearing my squareback apart, fixing rust and modifying things (shaving drip rail, turn signals, putting in bug headlights, shaving door handles, etc). Finally got everything the way I wanted it, primed it, wetsanded, primed again, and shot basecoat.

Here's a pic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It didn't turn out this well everywhere:

So first thing this morning, I went out to wetsand the runs. There were only a couple, and they were relatively small. No big deal, sanded with 600 grit, shot a wet coat, let it sit, then misted the whole car with another coat to even out the metallic (otherwise it would look different in the areas II sanded and reshot).

I let it sit for an hour or so until the surface of the car was tacky, then I shot clearcoat. It was going on nice and wet, almost too nicely, when I turn the corner and look back and see this starting to happen:

It basically looks like that over the rest of the car now. Apparently I didn't let the basecoat (which isn't a true base coat, but single stage Nason urethane) flash enough and some of the solvents aren't fully compatible with the SPI clear I was using. This caused the single stage to "melt" (for lack of a better word) underneath.
So, back to the sanding block it is Smile

All and all, I don't think it was too bad for a first paint job, considering I used a $59 Harbor Freight gun and a $100 compressor. Couple things I would do differently if I had it to do over, such as building a base for the body to sit on with casters that I can roll around. Also, having good lighting is a plus. I have good lighting on one side of the car and it looks better than the other side.
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah it looked awesome till the disaster. oh well, live and learn right. you did this in your garage? what model compressor and gun did you use exactly?

good job
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
shaving drip rail, turn signals, putting in bug headlights

I have never seen a square with a shaved drip rail and beetle headlights, those look like early beetle lights. I am new to type III's, the headligths and turn signals look awesome in your pics, what does the shaved drip rail look like? I love doing the body work, but refust to paint (just for that reason), to much can go wrong, and I can't rattle can paint that well. Good luck, the body looks good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: first paint job Reply with quote

ddare wrote:
It basically looks like that over the rest of the car now. Apparently I didn't let the basecoat (which isn't a true base coat, but single stage Nason urethane) flash enough and some of the solvents aren't fully compatible with the SPI clear I was using. This caused the single stage to "melt" (for lack of a better word) underneath.
So, back to the sanding block it is Smile

Also, having good lighting is a plus. I have good lighting on one side of the car and it looks better than the other side.

Well it was looking good. The single stage Nason you were using needed to dry for about 3 days, then you color sand with 600 then clear the whole thing. It would have looked awsome then. A buddy of mine has been using this method for a couple of years, and it works great.

Lighting is one of the most important parts to painting. It's even more so today, with the high cost of paints and clears. I've added a bunch of 4 ft lights in my own garage just to help my painter out while he shoots for me. I just don't have the touch for spraying paint, primer yeah, but paint no. I think it's partly due to being able to sand the primer, and know it's not the top coat. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
GTIHun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad, I hope it's going to work out better for you the next time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: