Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56-60? glove box inserts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: 56-60? glove box inserts Reply with quote

After talking to a fellow early Ghia owner a few weeks ago I have decided to take my glove box insert project off the shelf and start working on it again. I have been collecting parts for my 58 Ghia project for many years and still can't find a good replacement glove box insert, only the crappy plastic ones, yuk! A year or so ago I looked at the remains of the glove box insert I had and decided that it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce it. Well, I finally found a good undamaged original glove box insert to use as a model and make a mold from.

My question is: if I am able to make a near perfect reproduction that fits as original would any one else be interested in one? I hate to go through all this work to make one glove box insert for myself. If there is interest I could also look into flocking the interior of the inserts as original, though I don't know what colors were available and I doubt there are any sample books. I would also be limited by the colors of flocking available. Does any one know how many colors were available? I looked through my early parts books and there is only one part number listed and no color options. When was the black paper pulp glove box insert superceded with the grey cardboard version? I know the interior of the glove box was colored to match the color sceme of the car/interior, but was this the case through out the use of the black glove box insert? or did VW change to a "one color fits all" glove box later in production?

So far I am working on a mold of the interior of the glove box and should have it completed in a few weeks. Once that is finished I can start making trial runs and see what I come out with. I plan on using archival, color fast black 100% rag board for the actual glove box instert. I will have to cut the rag board up and blend it with some water (maybe adding some acrylic binder too). Once the rag board is pulped I will spread it out over a screen to the correct thickness, cut it to fit over the mold (using a pattern made from my original box) lay it over the mold, "sew" the seams together while it is still wet, let dry, remove from mold and trim to fit.

If any one has any suggestions, has already tried this, or knows of a perfect reproduction already available please let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy one if it came out nice.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down for one if they fit.

German Folks
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question is: if I am able to make a near perfect reproduction that fits as original would any one else be interested in one?

I'd definitely go for one! Sorry -- I don't have the answers to your other questions, but maybe Broadacus or RockStock will post a 30 image photo essay of pre-1960 glove box inserts. After some of the detailed posts they've contributed in the past, I'd hardly be surprised!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Broadacus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dmercer"]
Quote:
Sorry -- I don't have the answers to your other questions, but maybe Broadacus or RockStock will post a 30 image photo essay of pre-1960 glove box inserts. After some of the detailed posts they've contributed in the past, I'd hardly be surprised!

Reply from Broadacus;

Whilst I cannot speak for my good friend Mr Rockstock, it appears that our contributions the the Ghia forum are unwelcome and our knowledge of the Lowlight Ghias not required by some.

As this post was started by Loren, I will answer his question. I personnally would be interested in a glove box insert for my 1958 Convertible. When it arrived with me in the UK, the glove box had been eaten by mice and turned into a nest.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 1957 Coupe has the original glove box liner from the factory.

As previous stated, as our photo essays are no longer required by some people. This will be my last post on the Ghia forum Sad I have often wondered why Richard Troy does not share his vast knowledge of the Karmann Ghia on this forum. That question just may have been answered.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmercer wrote:
Quote:
My question is: if I am able to make a near perfect reproduction that fits as original would any one else be interested in one?

I'd definitely go for one! Sorry -- I don't have the answers to your other questions, but maybe Broadacus or RockStock will post a 30 image photo essay of pre-1960 glove box inserts. After some of the detailed posts they've contributed in the past, I'd hardly be surprised!

i'm all posted out!
(& apart from that, i don't have much on lowlight gloveboxes!)

don't panic, i'm sure the mercurial genius Broady will be back!!! he knows we all love him!!!
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadacus wrote:

As previous stated, as our photo essays are no longer required by some people. This will be my last post on the Ghia forum Sad

why? Sad

I'm just learning (read: up to my elbows in parts and pieces) and you have so much helpful information in your head.

forget what you said above - your knowledge is absolutely apreciated in here and for those who think it isn't - take a look at Ian's 63 rebuild.

edit: i would definately be down for a glove box repo as mine is in one piece but warped beyond use.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 56-60? glove box inserts Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
Does any one know how many colors were available?

For the 58/59 Lowlight Cabs I have 2 colours:

W2 Beige
Pearl White
Graphite Silver
Amazon
Diamond Grey
Colorado
Cardinal Red

W1 Grey
Bernina
Black

I.e. it seemed to echo the colour of the cars headlining (Light Beige or Light Grey)
If this rule were followed for the 58/9 Coupes, it would mean:

W2 Beige
Bambus
Aero Silver
Brilliant Red

W1 Grey
Black
Cognac
Cardinal Red
Dolphin Blue

Can anyone confirm?
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an og 59 Aero Silver Coupe - does she look beige??!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=297722
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadacus wrote:

Whilst I cannot speak for my good friend Mr Rockstock, it appears that our contributions the the Ghia forum are unwelcome and our knowledge of the Lowlight Ghias not required by some.

What a crock of BS. You guys are godsends when it comes to lowlight information. Don't you *dare* punch out.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let a few bad apples spoil it for everyone else. I would guess there are 10x the number of people who read this forum then who post on it....people that enjoy looking at photos and reading information. I am in no position to advise anyone, but a few bad comments wouldn't stop me from posting. Fuck the people that complain, if it bothers them so much why are they here??
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Reply from Broadacus;

Wow... that is bad news for the community. As with the other who have replied, I've gotten a great deal of value from your posts and detailed images.

I do hope you reconsider!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: 56-60? Glove Box Inserts Reply with quote

Broadacus, I think DMercer's comment was a compliment of sorts. He like the rest of us are at times amazed at your knowledge of ghias. I for one read post that don't even pertain to my car so I can learn more.

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted. Pass it on!
dmercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrrm... It didn't even occur to me that my comments could be taken as a complaint or criticism. Such was certainly not the intent.

Just to be clear, my opinion is that the kind of detail-oriented threads posted by Broadacus and RockStock (not to mention Retrowagen and others) are among the most valuable resources that someone restoring an early Karmann Ghia could ask for. It is exactly this kind of information that keeps me coming back thesamba, and I am grateful that these individuals choose to share their knowledge, images, and research with the rest of the community.

I have cited and referred others to threads by these authors numerous times and made use of them in my own project. I sincerely hope that this sort of quality content continues to be posted here.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the confusion has been resolved, now we can all kiss and make up and get back to the topic of glove box inserts.

Last night I lined my original 57 glove box with plastic and filled the interior with plaster. Unfortunately, I tore the original glove box while extracting the plaster mold Crying or Very sad I was hoping that no harm would come to it, but some times sacrafices need to be made. I still have to fill in the low areas where the original box was deformed due to the hold down strap and where the plastic overlapped during the mold process. I have added some plaster to fill the low spots but it will take a week or two for the plaster to fully cure before I can smooth out the mold and prep it for the paper pulp.

So far it sounds like there were only two interior colors available for the glove box insert for 58-59 Ghias, unless some one has information to the contrary? The 57 glove box I used for my mold had a green interior and the car was originally green so maybe pre 58 cars had glove box interiors to match the car color? Dave R. are you reading this? what was the interior color of the glove box on your red 57 Ghia?
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
Dave R. are you reading this? what was the interior color of the glove box on your red 57 Ghia?

*yawn* Huh? Oh, hey! It's a greenish-grey flocking inner with a rather elephantish-grey pulp outer.

Chris is correct, there were two colors available as he indicated above.

Perhaps molding in the strap indent isn't a half bad idea, Loren. Say, now that John C. has hung up his parts-making spurs, are you taking up the baton? It's a slippery slope... Smile
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glovebox on an og Toucan Black 56

Grey?

would be nice to see these made, loren
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using plaster to make the mold? Why not fiberglass?

My concern would be that the mold won't last very long.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using plaster because it's cheap, easy to use, non toxic, and easily fills the interior of the glove box. I am not very familiar with fiber glass and didn't know how to get it to mold to the interior of the glove box, besides all the fumes get to me. The mold doesn't have to be really durable since I am just using it to place a layer of paper pulp over, my only concern is making sure that the paper does not stick to the plaster. If the mold does not hold up I can always repair it, make a mold of the plaster mold and recast it in any material I want, but I doubt I will be making enough glove boxes that this will be a concern.

So it looks like there are only two colors to worry about for the late 57-60 Ghias. I am curious about the color of the glove box interior in the late 55 through mid 57 Ghias. The one I used as a mold was from an early 57 with the vent knobs at each end of the dash and the interior was green with a light green flocking. Any one else out there have a pre 57 Ghia with an original glove box?
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren,

Please count me in for one, maybe two in grey.....please pmail me when you have a finished product, my 4 year cab project is soon coming to an end!!!

Douglas

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: