Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brazed in trim holes
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Brazed in trim holes Reply with quote

These were done probably 25 years ago. Been covered with filler, primer and paint since then. repainted twice. Only 1 ever showed signs of bubbling. I've heard that the brass in braze can cause corrosion and failure. Welding is the way to go these days, but should I redo these while it's bare metal or cover them up for another quarter century? It's not on a vw, Sad but the holes are about the same size as early bug trim holes. Anyone have experience with brazing under paint work, good or bad?
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your are planning on stripping the car down to metal and starting over then yes i would get rid of the brass, but if you are planning on re painting over the top again and the brass is still holding fine then i would leave it alone.
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the car is in bare metal now I would redo all of them. Why spend all that time and money..and have a problem with them down the road....welding is the only way to go.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since the car is in bare metal now I would redo all of them. Why spend all that time and money..and have a problem with them down the road....welding is the only way to go.

Because I haven't had barely a problem in the last 25 years...
Welding is the way to do it today. I'm asking if anyone else has had any problems with brazing as body repair. This stuff worked for a long time, has it worked, failed, for anyone else?
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen alot of brazing hold up from older repairs with really no problem, i usually see the brass repair after the car is stripped or the car has been hit and needs repair. Alot of the older repairs i see too are gas welded with really old soft body filler and alot of those "Mud Worms" coming through the panels from the "Screw in " dent pullers.........man i hate that Evil or Very Mad
John Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazing can hold up for a long time. I hate to see it when stripping paint though...just like I hate to see holes pulled and welded...both repairs make me want to start all over with new metal welded in. This is not always practical though.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. John, your experienced opinion was what I was looking for. But I got pissed, at the truck and at the lack of replies, and redid it all. What's another 5 hours at this point. It's all steel now, a 70 blazer that's hauled more vw's in it's life so far than most of you have owned. Next year it'll be ready to suck up that $3 a gallon fuel at <10 mpg.
I was puttin' fuel in it when it was $.75 a gal... Rolling Eyes
makinbakin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is nothing wrong with brazing up pinholes or areas with rust pits to level it out.....but for a large hole like a trim hole i would definatley want that welded!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: