Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to that last portion of the production number on the glass, your glass is from an '83 911. A quick search of the Pelican Parts forums revealed that:

Can anyone assist in determining if my windshield is the heated option or not? This is for an '83 coupe.
MADE IN WEST GERMANY
INFRA
As 15
SIGLA
FG-GK D 642
-AS-1 DOT 25 M 91-1
DGM 36124 VSP
II E-00037
E1 43R-001033
WHPLF

The numbers that are different are likely the batch number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stejohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Magnum Kit Car Reply with quote

I have a Magnum Dino Kit car circa 1984 and am in need of some parts for it, and came across this forum post. Yes, the windshield is from a Porsche 911, or at least that's what I was told. I bought the car about 20 years ago in Ohio from a guy that bought it from Lyle Mader. I have the original flyer, purchase agreement, and assembly instructions. According to Lyle's advertisements, their were 2 models, one built on a VW frame which used a Corvair engine, and a V8 version that was mounted on a custom tubular frame. I do have some of the original paperwork for both of these and would be happy to share it with anyone that's interested.
I bought the VW version. The body was a well built fiberglass unibody, so I pulled it off the frame and mounted it on a Fiero chassis, and installed a Buick V6 3.4-VIN X liter high performance engine onto the trans-axle. It has the original interior (with new seats and carpet) and original Magnum wheels, which were similar to the Dino's. The Magnum was a far better replica than the Kelmark, both in following the original Dino Design and in quality of workmanship. Nothing on it looks like a kit car.
I was trailering the car when I moved and had the front hood and engine cover blow off on a windy night in the middle of Wyoming. It was a heartbreaker! I'm now looking for replacement parts, and have searched the web endlessly for a donor car. Suggestions from anyone out there?
BTW, the literature list Lyle Mader as living in Madison, SD, and I tried to look him up. He no longer lives at that address and doesn't seem to have a listing in town, from what I can gather. If anyone has a way of contacting him I'd sure like to know! I'd like to thank him for building a high quality car. Last I was able to find he auctioned an original 1969 Z28 Chevy Camaro he special ordered from the factory in, yes, 1969. He'd had it stored for many years and got something like $125,000 for it. That guy new his cars!
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like whoever owns the "rights" to the car does not really feel like giving anyone any info . So you may be SOL

All joking aside I would like to see what you have for paperwork and such.
stejohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Magnum Kit Car Reply with quote

I'll scan some of the literature and post it. Will the forum accept .pdf files? They tend to be a bit smaller than .jpg. Give me a day or 2 to get to this. I can also post a pic of the car.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait!

I think I now own the rights to the Magnum GT, after an alcohol-fueled binge & wicked poker game bet... but, I can't share any details of the car.

bnc
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I buy half for $1?
Chopchop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stejohns and SpyderMag (and anyone else with a Magnum), the Kelmark / Karma / Magnum forum is at:

Kelmarkgt.com

There are mostly Kelmarks there with a handful of Karmas and at least one Magnum. That forum is your best bet to meet up with other Magnum owners.

http://kelmarkgt.freeforums.org/how-to-join-t13.html

Best of luck with your cars!
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess this is just another project that will never get off the ground? lol
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:
So I guess this is just another project that will never get off the ground? lol

No - it actually may eventually get off the ground...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnc
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahhahahaha
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one of those once at the Battersea Power Station near London....
mtnroads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fan of the Animals album perhaps?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnroads wrote:
a fan of the Animals album perhaps?
Many years ago a guy I worked with bought that album on cassette (I said it was MANY years ago Sad ). He brought it to work and gave it to me. Said that he tried to listen to it but when it came to the sounds of pigs oinking he just couldn't listen any more. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still nothing lol
serf2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Magnum GT Reply with quote

I have the 1st Magnum Gt that was built by Mader. I also have what I believe is the most complete collection of advertising and sales literature available for the Magnum. Only 5 cars were sold as kits. The rest were completed by Mr Maders company and sold as completed cars. The only instructions that I know of ever being available were ones written by the original buyer of the car I have. I also have a copy of these in his hand writing. I also have a lot of information on the creation of the car. Would be happy to share what I have.

wythac wrote:
Quote:
we also have all of the papers detailing the build with 2 complete cars so if there is any question we can answer it

Apparently he didn't mean it. Or, "can" is not equivalent to "will".

This is a discussion forum. Participate in the discussion and you might find a few more folks interested in your beautiful and unusual but not at all expensive or exclusive VW kit cars....but just a few. Sharing info on what commercially available glass is used wont threaten your business's plans. Posting evasive non-answers to inquiries from the very few who own these cars and are enthusiasts, might.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good serf2 - feel free to share what you have! Pics, pics, pics...

Jeff
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

So whatever happened with this? Lol
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

serf2 - 1 post wonder....... Rolling Eyes
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

So we will never see a "New" Magnum GT. Shocking!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Magnum GT Replica, Looking for info Reply with quote

It's quite clear when you have guys who are only thinking about money and nothing else...

"I have this information, that sheet of paper, those diagrams that nobody ever seen blah blah blah..." All about trying to get people interested while not really providing anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: