Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter differences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are interchangeable in that you can use a later spring on an earlier shifter but I have seen people selling "early" springs in the past.

I found this quote from an old ad for a "50-59" NOS shifter spring on the site:
Quote:
Here is an NOS 1950-59 bus shifter spring,the coiling diameter at the top is about 3/16" smaller [7/8"] than the 1960 up [1 1/16"] because the 50-59 straight shifter had the small diameter ball. 1960 up curved shifter had the larger diameter ball with the pin.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I think they are interchangeable in that you can use a later spring on an earlier shifter but I have seen people selling "early" springs in the past.

I found this quote from an old ad for a "50-59" NOS shifter spring on the site:
Quote:
Here is an NOS 1950-59 bus shifter spring,the coiling diameter at the top is about 3/16" smaller [7/8"] than the 1960 up [1 1/16"] because the 50-59 straight shifter had the small diameter ball. 1960 up curved shifter had the larger diameter ball with the pin.

So does Wolfsburg West have this Wrong??? they told me at the counter that this is correct for my 61 but the inside diameter hole is smaller than the shifter ball.. my old one on the right out of my bus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Yes they made a mistake, hard to believe
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Weird part number. Your part should be 214 711 155. The part that is pictured is '66-'67 and should be numbered 211 711 155 C. However Wolfsburg West may have made a universal one that goes from '62-'67. It's still not the '61 correct one for you.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Weird part number. Your part should be 214 711 155. The part that is pictured is '66-'67 and should be numbered 211 711 155 C. However Wolfsburg West may have made a universal one that goes from '62-'67. It's still not the '61 correct one for you.

Appreciate the info but if it were a 66-67 shift rod then why does it have the early style end for the 62 and earlier coupler?

Anyhow, after we debated back and forth at the counter he went and got a second opinion from an "expert" and came back. "yup, its correct for a 61" Confused

By the way.. much props to WW. Just trying to clear this up.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Appreciate the info but if it were a 66-67 shift rod then why does it have the early style end for the 62 and earlier coupler?

I could easily be wrong but I got the info from the parts book website. I assume your bus vin falls into the '61 year model.

CaLiBus wrote:

I can't see the other end in the photo but that hole on the front is for the '66-'67 style pivot as those years didn't use a bracket with tensioned plastic guide/anti-rattle.

CaLiBus wrote:
Anyhow, after we debated back and forth at the counter he went and got a second opinion from an "expert" and came back. "yup, its correct for a 61" Confused

The acid test to me is that your ball won't fit his hole. Did you take your shaft with you?
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Thanks Baryl. No did not have the old parts in hand the first time assuming they would have the correct parts. Lesson learned..
The descrition itself on the label 59-62 seems to be wrong as well? Crossing over into different years?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Thanks Baryl. No did not have the old parts in hand the first time assuming they would have the correct parts. Lesson learned..
The descrition itself on the label 59-62 seems to be wrong as well? Crossing over into different years?

I've never had to deal with early rods but something is awry. See for yourself. Parts #11 or #12: http://oacdp.org/5867part/359.png
You bus vin/year: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Now Look at #3
Shouldn't the lever change the same time with No 11 ?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Now Look at #3

Seems that way but I don't know for sure when the ball size changed. There is that rod after the shifter change but before the next one (not counting the '66-'67]. Someone else needs to cut into this dance. I know the early shifter was closer to the seat pedestal then moved forward so maybe that is when the ball changed as the shift rod had to be longer and maybe all the forward ones have the smaller ball.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:
Now Look at #3

Seems that way but I don't know for sure when the ball size changed. There is that rod after the shifter change but before the next one (not counting the '66-'67]. Someone else needs to cut into this dance. I know the early shifter was closer to the seat pedestal then moved forward so maybe that is when the ball changed as the shift rod had to be longer and maybe all the forward ones have the smaller ball.

There are 3 gear shift levers

Early close straight 211 711 121

Mid further bent 211 711 121A

Late further bent 211 711 121B

There are also 4 different fron shift rods listed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
There are 3 gear shift levers

Early close straight 211 711 121

Mid further bent 211 711 121A

Late further bent 211 711 121B

Excellent.

Can someone list the ball size (big/little) to associate with these levers?
Everett wrote:
Early straight shifter ends:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=533921
Shifter from my '55:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=518622
'61 Kombi shifter with ruler:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=233441

Everett posted this on the page before but I can't tell ball size.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Berg site sez:
Pre-60: 15.7mm ball and approx 22" tall.
60-mid 1966: 21.50mm ball and approx 7/8" from bottom of base to bottom of ball. Total length approx 25" floor to top of handle.
mid 1966-79: Length approx 25" from floor to top of handle.
sandtrooper747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Did the shift rod bracket change in 67? WW has it up to 66: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701255B
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

sandtrooper747 wrote:
Did the shift rod bracket change in 67? WW has it up to 66: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701255B

'66 and '67 don't use that but you can if you want to change your '66 or '67 to that older style. Cut off the front pin that '66 and '67 front shift rods use if you use that earlier one but '66 and '67 style work better.
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Do I have the right shifter base on my early 64 bus? I'm thinking I don't based on a gallery pic from @RareAir. Accordingly to the gallery pic, I have a type 1 base, not a type 2. Can anyone chime in? Thanks,

Brian

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

missmybus wrote:
Do I have the right shifter base on my early 64 bus? I'm thinking I don't based on a gallery pic from @RareAir. Accordingly to the gallery pic, I have a type 1 base, not a type 2. Can anyone chime in? Thanks,

My early 64 has the higher base. What you have may work but your reverse lockout will not so finding first will be a pain. Also it may damage your linkage if it is putting too much force down.

If that came with your bus you may also have a modified shifting lever or linkage.

edit: You could space the base up off the floor the difference in height to get by until you find the correct one.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
missmybus wrote:

My early 64 has the higher base. What you have may work but your reverse lockout will not so finding first will be a pain. Also it may damage your linkage if it is putting too much force down.

If that came with your bus you may also have a modified shifting lever or linkage.

edit: You could space the base up off the floor the difference in height to get by until you find the correct one.

OK, thanks. Think I should get the taller one. I've been restoring this bus for almost 3 years, why not have the right base? Thanks for the response!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

Someone asked me today how to tell a Bay Window shifter from a 66-67 shifter.

Anyone have both on hand to post any photos of differences and/or measurements?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humberto lapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter differences Reply with quote

On 66 and 67 bus shifter bottom pin shown in this pic, is it suppose to have that spring exposed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: