Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windsheild Wipers....after the Horn fix
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Windsheild Wipers....after the Horn fix Reply with quote

So, I have now had my steering column in and out about six times...fixing the dreaded horn wire. The male tab eventually broke off the column, so I used a male connector(drilled out with a tiny hole), and drilled a 3/32 hole into the column and attached it with a very small phillips head screw! (my dog, Moses, really hates the horn)I had to add a short jumper wire, and some shrink insulator....I was considering JB weld, duct tape, even super glue.....but the screw and connector seemed like the Hippy Fix Du Jour......

So now the wipers are acting up......they won't work in the slow position, and won't stop in the down spot after shutting them off. I am assuming this may be just the relay, but I'm not sure.(there is none) Anyone out there have this issue? They seem to be just fine on High, but I want this fixed.

During the column removal, the wiper fluid was leaking from the washer switch, but I re-pressurized the tank and there is no more leak. I am a little concerned that it might have got the wiper switch wet.

What say you?

peace

edit in bold
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I will bump this, and addd some more info.....

My wiper switch appears to be sending 12v to the terminal under the dash where the four wires go right before 2 wires head into the motor assembly.......Is that junction some kind of internal relay? I mean, something makes them stop in the down position.......

In any case, I was running this situation by Richard @ OE VEE DUB yesterday, and he said, "post it on the Samba".

So, wiper experts.......What say you?

p.s. I hate not having my bentley, but I am going up to Montana tomarrow, and it will stay in the bus.
robgohome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue, only one of mine doesn't work at all. I think it has something to do with the assembly underneath. My solution is to simply find a restored wiper assembly and motor.

In order to fix it, however, you'll need to check a bunch of connections, because the parking position is controlled by a certain connection, which apparently comes apart very easily.

If you'll turn with me to Electrical System in the bentley, verse 10.4, it sayeth:

1. Connect the wiper motor to the wiper switch according to the terminal designations.

2. Support the motor so that it will not fall.

3. Connect the ground terminal of the wiper motor and terminal 31 on the switch to the battery's negative pole. The parking position will not work unless these connections are made.

4. Connect terminal 30 on the switch to the battery's positive pole. Turn on the wiper switch and let the motor run for about 15 seconds.

5. Turn the switch off. The motor should stop in it's correct parking position.

6. Install the drive crank. Position it paralell to the armature shaft when viewed from the end of the drive gearshaft.

If you do all this and the wipers still don't run in the low setting, I'd either check the assembly underneath to make sure it doesn't need any greasing or adjusting, or take out the motor all together and see what is preventing them from moving. Again, refer to the bentley, they have a great windshield wiper motor troubleshooting section and other info, including wiring diagrams for the directions above.

Peace

-Rob

p.s. I may not know what I'm talking about, being that I've never actually succesfully fixed them myself. Take my advice at your own risk Surprised
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I would post the fix.......

After many hours of testing this, and shorting that, I found the issue. Under the dash there is a three wire clear plastic plug connector that connects the wiper switch to the motor. One of my wires had come loose inside the connector and it just needed to be re-inserted. I am glad I found this before I tore out the wiper motor assembly, as that was next on my list of things to do.

Now the wipers are working in slow position and parking back at the bottom.

Thanx for all the replies.

peace
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: