Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint Job
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Paint Job Reply with quote

What's a good paint job cost? Very little rust, a couple of smallish dings. Can you just get the exterior done? Just curious.
Thanks,
Kev
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic disscused already.

But, here is my story. My beat Westy (heavy dents and no rust) was prepped for paint in two weekends. Cost about $500 labor and $200 in materials. Mostly done in metal with little filler. I used some replacement doors from a donor.

Then I went to a "GOOD" Maaco and had a $600 paint put on. I am happy.

I am happy because every other group wanted over $2000 and I got quotes at over $4000 too.

I took all the outside stuff off in a day, too btw.

I got new (or good used seals) and painted with all the seals out.

It is good, I like it. (see lfe after death link too):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=226052

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings. Did you remove all glass?? Im getting some pricy quotes for mine and most wont even touch it unless they remove the glass.
Ive got 5 tiny dings one dent and no rust, and the quotes in California are running $4000.00-$5000.00.
No single stage paints allowed here,just base and clears.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
No single stage paints allowed here,just base and clears.

Whoever told you that is wrong.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vansmack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is shop around big time. When I had mine painted I got quotes all over the map (3k-6k). I had some rust to fix from two large dents and had the sides painted only and it cost ~ $3700. The work was top notch and the guy was an old vw fan and was excited about the job. He called me almost everyother day to show me what he was doing. When I went to his shop I saw antique Porsches and several old muscle cars (big$$$) - I could tell he knew what he was doing. If they act like they don't give a crap - then they probably won't and you'll be unsatisified. Attitude is key. Good Luck!!

Tim

'86 Westy
'03 Passat Wagon Turbo
'03 Ford F150 4x4
'91 Volvo 740 Turbo SOLD
'79 Ford F150 Ranger SOLD
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rent a booth and you paint it
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We removed some windows while we just cut the rubber seals on others. It works out the same painting IF there is no damage to deal with in the window frames. Mine is a bone dry Cali van so there was almost nil rust.

Now bookmark these words: "Paint is prep." If you prep your van well, anyplace that paints can do the finish work. Remember you pay them by the hour. So if you go with a stripped van and say to them to fix the dents and paint that is all they have to do. You will not have to pay them to R&R the windows, for example. Ditto bumpers or any other eays to remove item.

The guys we use work for high end shops. They have been freelancing for a group of us for decades. They come to our shop and we have all the basic things they need to work. They bring or buy the rest. That is why they could bang my van out in two weekends. One weekend rough body work and primer. Next was finish work and sanding. That lets the stuff dry real well. Then a few weeks later Maaco worked their magic. I can not complain. This is just like any other production paint job. Not the mirror paint job of a show car but not any worse than when it was new. It is just fine. Besides, I claim Vanagons to be dent magnets. How many do you see with dents in the rear? It is a utility vehicle and it WILL get damaged. So don't go overboard.

Good luck...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: