Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our 1967 Karmann Ghia (with new stock rim)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1967 Karmann Ghia (with new stock rim) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Nice work on Mickey.
I wouldn't use varnish on your steering wheel. Sand it down to 400 or 600 and just rub some boiled linseed oil on it with a towel. wait a bit and rub it out, done. I think you will like it more and it lasts a long time. If needed rub more on every couple years.

Thanks so much buddy. Mickey looks better with the Fuchs and runs better with a newly overhauled engine plus some added ugrades like the dual kadrons, oil sump, Fram filter,Okrasa style oil cooler and Bosch 010.

Thanks for the advice buddy on the Empi GTV style steering wheel. I will apply that linseed oil. I know it will look better.

Thanks,

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Our 1967 Karmann Ghia (with new stock rim) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Hey DongKG, welcome back. A few thoughts for you and the Fuchs. There are early 6's (deep 6, 901 part # on back) and late 6's (flat 6, 911 part # on back).
A 67 has a long spline swing axle. Read up on that here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330991&highlight=short+axle+long
depending on if you have original early or late 6 inch or repop Fuchs the answer may change. On my 68, I swapped to 60-66 short axles, I have SwayAway adjustable spring plates, I have drilled rotors and drums, I have a 1/4 spacer on the rear drums. I have 195/60/15 tires in back. OG deep 6 Fuchs in back. No rub. I'm planning on dumping the adjustable spring plates and get lowered plates, dump the spacer and I can fit a 205/70/15. Note that all ghias may have different rear clearance due to handmade and decades of potential repairs.

205/70/15? is that possible in the rear of a '67 Karmann Ghia? Considering that it has long axles?
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1967 Karmann Ghia (with new stock rim) Reply with quote

I have short axles from 60-66. I have not gotten around to making the swap yet...too many projects. Good Luck DongKG
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1967 Karmann Ghia (with new stock rim) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I have short axles from 60-66. I have not gotten around to making the swap yet...too many projects. Good Luck DongKG

Cool one, Buddy! Thanks its difficult to look for a pair of short axle here in the Philippines. It has become a sought after parts here in the past few years.

thanks

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Our 1967 Karmann Ghia (with new stock rim) Reply with quote

If shipping isn't too bad....contact any of the trans shops (Rancho, Benco, KCR) thats where I found short axles. Maybe a trans shop in Philippines??? Good Luck Dong.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: