Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sink water pump mystery!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Sink water pump mystery! Reply with quote

1985 Westy.....

My sink water pump will only operate when my van is running. It will not operate at any other time....such as when van is off, and not even with the ignition on (not started). And the funny thing is....you know how when u start up a westy the battery light comes on until u give it a shot of gas? Then the light goes out......well the pump will not come on until the battery light goes out..then she pumps away!

All other accessories in the van seem to work, except for the fridge. And I do not have a second battery in the van, but it appears as though there is a wiring harness under the drivers seat. So I'm wondering what the problem is.....

Please help me! I feel like a real nob having to start the van up at 7am on a campground in order to get water for my coffee!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mog555
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just guessing here, but when I installed my second battery I put a relay that operated off the sending wire from the alternator. It only closes when the alternator is charging the battery. Sounds to me like someone wired this into your sink pump, does your van have a second battery? Is the wiring correct for it?
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you pump is hooked into the aux battery relay under the drivers seat. Even if you don't have an aux battery, the relay came factory. If the wires for the pump are tied into this relay (and I bet they are) then the sink pump is only able to run when the relay is getting juice from the alternator, which explains why it does not work unitl you give it a "shot" of fuel, the relay does not open until above a certain voltage. So, look under the drivers seat bat compartment and locate the small little gold colored cube, thats the relay, there is a way to change the wiring around but I don't have a Bentley in front of me so maybe someone can shed some light here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's got to be it! There is a relay under there...now I must seek out the perfect second battery! I will check the threads for "second batteries".

Question: Would my fridge (which does not work off either the battery or propane, perhaps work once I install the 2nd battery? I realize that wouldn't help the propane situation, but when the fridge is switched to the battery option, maybe it would work once i install the 2nd battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Look for 'Auxiliary Battery' Reply with quote

Or just do a search for 'Odyssey' or PC1200

Been there, wired that... Loved it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: