Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

System 1 oil filter
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: System 1 oil filter Reply with quote

I know I'm going to get a ton of flack for this, but here goes anyway.

Has anyone ever used a System 1 oil filter on their bus? I know, I know, I've read all the links, I know which the recommended ones are, etc.

I have the filter anyway, from another application, and am tempted to try it out. It's got an inspection cap, cleanable stainless steel mesh filter, 5 or 6 micron filtering capability, reusable, by pass valve, etc.

edit - forgot to ad pics!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?

Last edited by dwill49965 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cmfilters.com/tech.cfm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: System 1 oil filter Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
I know I'm going to get a ton of flack for this, but here goes anyway.

The stock filter is inexpensive, well made and works that's why it's so well regarded.

Quote:
Has anyone ever used a System 1 oil filter on their bus? I know, I know, I've read all the links, I know which the recommended ones are, etc.

Read: http://www.system1filters.com/

IMHO, any money you save with this filter will be wasted in time cleaning it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a System One for an engine start-up and break in. It is easy to see what particles came out. But after that it's a pain compared to a throw-away spin-on. You have solvents and containers to deal with and then disposing of the solvent. And then also they are not cheap. I think the money could be used better elsewhere.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
And then also they are not cheap. I think the money could be used better elsewhere.

I agree. I wouldn't go out and buy a new one either just for my bus. I already have it, and its just sitting around.

However, with previous posts extensively debating the merits of whether or not to clean and inspect the oil strainer screen every oil change, and the risk/likelihood of overtorquing the strainer bolt, and sealing up the gaskets so they don't leak every time, etc, etc, etc ......

Why not go right to the source - the oil filter itself, and see the gunk it is collecting (or not)? I suppose you could cut open your old filter every once in a while to have a look.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: