Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want to look for turbo vanagon engines.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX man wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.schick-tuning.de/t3.htm

Glad I can read German. Typical of the Germans is to give almost no really meaningful information. Nothing you can use yourself. Like everything has to be this big secret or something. Oh well.

Now, I sure wish I could read your native anguage better. Your transmission project looks interesting. Where to you get the gear computation program from?

Vielen Dank,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX man wrote:
BenT Syncro wrote:
WBX headgasket issues.

I don't look at it as an issue... Just use the right coolant and the related precautions Wink

Well, that is all relative. I have a 1987 Vanagon GL with a 2.1 WBX. I got 386,000 miles on the original headgaskets before an external leak developed. I have another which got 283k+. However, the record is clear. A great majority of people have problems with headgaskets and corrosion in the heads. Any engine will each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I think you will find that the general consensus is the WBX is not exacly the most perfect engine VW ever designed. I have 4 WBX powered T3's out of the 9 that I own currently so in a way, you are preaching to the choir. I also have turbodiesels, inline-4's, and even a turbo subaru powered T3.

BenT
[url]vanagoncafe.info[/url]
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
RichBenn wrote:
I have a chipped 1.8T in my Passat -- it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face. I'm having pangs 'cause I have to get rid of the car(too much rolling stock). It really doesn't come on 'till 2500-3000 rpm or so, and then kicks you in the butt all the way to 6700 rpm. It takes everyone a little time to get used to this with the clutch -- you need to keep rpms up when starting or you'll stall. I would be real interested in seeing how it performs in a vanagon, with the extra weight, but the car is in too good a shape to part out Cool

Rich,

The Vanagon is substantially heavier than the Passat. Sure the higher HP will get higher tops speed. But torque is what you need for acceleration. The 1.8T equipped Vanagon I rode in felt like a normal contemporary car. That is saying a lot considering how much old these vans are. I would compare that to between a 4-cyl. & 6-cyl 2006 Dodge Caravan. I've rented both recently. Those minivans are actually quite well done. That is probably why they sell so many of them. They are cheaper than what most of us spend on these Vanagons. Yet here we are looking to spend as much on an engine conversion as a 4 year old American minivan. Love can be expensive.

BenT

Hi, BenT

BTW, the torque on these 1.8T chipped versions is typically 210-235 ft/lbs, with a reasonably flat curve. The original 1.8T was 155 ft-lbs, which was done way too conservative for the engine.

As for the American minivan comparison, personally, I would not purchase a vanagon if it wasn't a Westy, IMHO(oops, I don't mean to start a flame war everyone -- this is my opinion). I don't know of anything that competes with the Westy, so it's not a comparison with a minivan for me. It just wouldn't be worth the pain and money we put into these, for me, at least, for just a van, if that's what I needed, when there are so many reliable options, newer, cheaper.

Of course, as time goes on, the vanagon begins to join the split-window and bay window as a "classic", so maybe that's the motivation for others. But I digress.

Hope everyone that pioneers new vanagon options like the 1.8T will keep us all posted! Subaru 2.2's that don't have a zillion miles on them will be harder to find as time goes on...., and 1.8Ts from the wrecking yard will get cheaper.

Rich
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
Hi, BenT

BTW, the torque on these 1.8T chipped versions is typically 210-235 ft/lbs, with a reasonably flat curve. The original 1.8T was 155 ft-lbs, which was done way too conservative for the engine.

As for the American minivan comparison, personally, I would not purchase a vanagon if it wasn't a Westy, IMHO(oops, I don't mean to start a flame war everyone -- this is my opinion). I don't know of anything that competes with the Westy, so it's not a comparison with a minivan for me. It just wouldn't be worth the pain and money we put into these, for me, at least, for just a van, if that's what I needed, when there are so many reliable options, newer, cheaper.

Of course, as time goes on, the vanagon begins to join the split-window and bay window as a "classic", so maybe that's the motivation for others. But I digress.

Hope everyone that pioneers new vanagon options like the 1.8T will keep us all posted! Subaru 2.2's that don't have a zillion miles on them will be harder to find as time goes on...., and 1.8Ts from the wrecking yard will get cheaper.

I like Vanagons because of how they look and function. Don't laugh. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also like the handling characteristics as it reminds me of my other VW and Porsche vehicles. My favorites are my lowered 2wd van and 4wd Syncro Doublecab. I have a reasonable choice of vehicles to drive. I can probably afford to buy something more contemporary than the newest Vanagons made for the US market. You can figure out what I chose.

That said, I know where you can buy an 84 Ferrari Testarossa for the price of a tricked out later model Syncro Westy. For the price of a super tricked out Syncro Westy or about double the price nice Tristar, I know where you get a 2002 Comptech NSX with less than 10K miles. Another alternative? How about a 1967 Unmog with a firetruck body and extra radio box body for he price of an 86-87 Syncro Westy? Or roughly the price of a rusty Syncro doublecab? So why are you still driving a Vanagon?

BenT
EXITSTRATEGY
Samba Member

Location: rolling thunder river company, nantahalla gorge. NC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cause there's nothing else like em!

(although those other things would be a great deal of fun in their ot\wn right)
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXITSTRATEGY wrote:
cause there's nothing else like em!

(although those other things would be a great deal of fun in their ot\wn right)

Exactly my point! The Eurovans are more like minivans. Unfortunately, they are not as competent off-road compared to a Vanagon Syncro. As for on-road performance, they are more civilized but not quite as exciting as a Ferrari Testarossa. Fuel consumption is better though and doesn't cost $5K to get a major tune-up. Very Happy

BenT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Lundy wrote:
As for cost, it's expensive. It's about the same cost as a diesel conversion.

And that i$?

Walt, the cost of the conversion from a 1.9L to the 1.8T will cost roughly $9000. My conversion will be a few hundred more because I have the stock A/C and power steering that I want to keep functional.

Gears, my Westy is an 85 with 40K original miles. I bought it 6 months ago with only 32K on the odometer and have driven all over the North Western states since then. I figure that even after all the work being done to it, I'll have a great family travel van for well under $20,000. The option was to by an old Westy in great condition - or a new Toyota or Honda minivan for about $12-15K more. In my opinion we made the better choice, but I guess I'm preaching to the choir. Wink

Lundy
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey did anybody else see that $1000 2002 Jetta donor car on yesterday's San Francisco Craigslist? It was hit very hard in back, front, and sides but the guy was saying the engine was ok. I was lookikng for it today toadd to this posting but I can't find it. Probably sold.

BenT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, gave Stephan the keys to the Westy today, I'll post the results in a month or so.

Lundy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: