Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Serrano's Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta have the comfort zone.

with Art working on the engine the carbs will be better than weber ever made them! he just finished my 52s and boy are they sweet!

BUT they have to battle with a set of the same sized throttle bodies on the 3 liter to fight for their right to stay on the engine Smile
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art did my IDA last year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little 1914 n/a serrano motor went 14.24 @91 mph tonite. It's only got 300 miles on it. We'll see how long it lasts. Wink
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstart wrote:
My little 1914 n/a serrano motor went 14.24 @91 mph tonite. It's only got 300 miles on it. We'll see how long it lasts. Wink

Hmmmm mabye not long if your drag racing an engine wih only 300 miles of running in time. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstart wrote:

Don't get me wrong... I don't have anything specificly bad to say about Serrano, it's just I was surprised that the pump cover was not resurfaced. Doing that can cause to low oil pressure and premautre wear.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
dragstart wrote:

Hmmmm mabye not long if your drag racing an engine wih only 300 miles of running in time. Confused

Hell, when it had 40 miles on it , I drove it 220 miles to Indy and drag raced it. Gotta break 'em somehow. Twisted Evil
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
dragstart wrote:

Don't get me wrong... I don't have anything specificly bad to say about Serrano, it's just I was surprised that the pump cover was not resurfaced. Doing that can cause to low oil pressure and premautre wear.

Actually, even though for the moment, I'm happy with the motor, I still am not happy about the process, and am not 100% confident in it. Like I said earlier, if I had it to do over, I would've had an engine builder do an engine for me. Who knows, it may turn out great even in the long term, and I may forget about the five months to build, the numerous unreturned phone calls and e-mails, and the general unease it left me with about the engine assembler I choose.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

I took my 2165cc to the track with less then 5 miles on it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
dragstart wrote:

As long as the cam is broken in and the rings seated, it shouldn't matter how many miles are on it.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my 1600 from Serrano last year.

still pretty "green", but beside some carb adjustment, it ran perfectly so far.

if i had 5k+ to spend on an engine, he'd definately be first in line... as long as i could wait for the engine to be ready.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboblue wrote:
krusher wrote:
dragstart wrote:

As long as the cam is broken in and the rings seated, it shouldn't matter how many miles are on it.

OK, ok, but for some of us we put a few run-in miles on the thing first to seat the rings if it has not been running outside of the car. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take my car to a steep hill that was about 1/4 mile and turn around and compression brake down to seat the rings. Those chrome moly rings can take forever to seat sometimes. That was after at least a 300 mile break in usually.
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
turboblue wrote:
krusher wrote:
dragstart wrote:

OK, ok, but for some of us we put a few run-in miles on the thing first to seat the rings if it has not been running outside of the car. Confused

What's with all the good advice coming out of Indiana? They must have gone to I.U. Laughing

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
8nMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the VW fraternity is tight, and most of it probably happens within a hundred miles of Southern Cal, but for us outlanders and newbies, when ya'll talk about the great builders and shops, could you post things like business names, phone numbers, web sites, etc.? The only Chico I know was a Chihuahua owned by an Aunt of mine. And I mean no disrespect.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhtaylor wrote:
I know the VW fraternity is tight, and most of it probably happens within a hundred miles of Southern Cal, but for us outlanders and newbies, when ya'll talk about the great builders and shops, could you post things like business names, phone numbers, web sites, etc.? The only Chico I know was a Chihuahua owned by an Aunt of mine. And I mean no disrespect.

Start here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/cat.php?id=1
Then inquire on the forums about a specific shop.

krusher wrote:
turboblue wrote:
krusher wrote:
dragstart wrote:

Isn't that what I said?

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Namocsid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhtaylor wrote:

Chico refers to Annibal Chico, of Chico Performance Racing (CPR)

www.steelbuggin.com
or
Samba Ads

Hold the pickles, it's 100% pure beef Namocsid!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jardindelalma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i won't bad talk serranos engines but it was an ordeal getting a 1600 longblock

first they just did not like the fact i wanted a SP and not a DP

then when i told him i was not in a hurry i just wanted it done right...he told me it would be done in two weeks

of course it wasn't done for 4 weeks and then they shipped it to the wrong person...got that staigtened out

got longblock and put it all together and it wasn't that Confident feeling of makeing the right choice it was i hope this was done correctly...(can't remember specific things that made me feel this way, just the little details)

so in short i would pay a little more and go with someone like chico in the future....

thats if the $$ you put into it means anything to you

cause for some it doesn't seem to matter!

BTW: i have over 5K on that engine and it does run fine...so again i am not "bad talking " just agree to the description of them as overworked and more of an assembler not a builder
Alaskan Adventurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/296742.jpg This is a 2054 turn key fron Sorentos. It RIPS! Less money than every one else. Steve is very easy to deal with as long as you do not ask for a build sheet or bill of sale.I have 300 mi. on the eng so far so good.I am in Alaska so I hope their is no problem.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vtailalaska wrote:
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/296742.jpg.[/img] This is a 2054 turn key fron Sorentos. It RIPS! Less money than every one else. Steve is very easy to deal with as long as you do not ask for a build sheet or bill of sale.I have 300 mi. on the eng so far so good.I am in Alaska so I hope their is no problem.[/img]

No build sheet or receipt?
So you have no idea what your engine specs are?
I dunno about all that...........

Fixed your link too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

mike231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

I know this thread is way old and beyond dead. BUT, I had to say this for anyone who happens to run across this - I bought a 76 x 90, 1955cc from Serrano's in 2005. Steve was very helpful.
I AM STILL RUNNING THIS MOTOR! NEVER OPENED IT UP. STILL HAS 120~ LBS OF COMPRESSION. DOES NOT LEAK A DROP OF OIL. PULLS HARD.
I've driven it on 200 mile trips. I also put my foot in it on a regular basis. Smoked a GTI recently, and a Boxer at a stop light run. (He started it!)
I'm not trying to minimize people's complaints.
I felt I owed Steve this considering the bad press he gets. Hope he sees this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: