Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Labor Day Weekend
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Labor Day Weekend Reply with quote

So, with the weekend upon us, where is everyone headed?
(or for those folks reading this tuesday, where'd you go?!)

I, am headed north to the Sequoia Natitonal Park & National Forest. Leaving at the crack of dawn and returning monday night - i know, ideally i wish i could take some extra time but I cannot.

hopefully i'll get a couple pics of our setup.

Have a great holiday weekend all!!!!!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in downtown central tourist land, where do you expect us to go? Smile

Local trips. Laguna Mountain - Cleveland National Forrest. Beach - Kite Flying. Too much crazy on these long weekends to go to far. Besides school starts for the kids on Tuesday.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a county fair/rodeo. Mainly went too see some folks and let the kids partake in the barnyard scramble. Daughter got a chicken, which means someone else got a chicken (we live in town). Could have pulled-off a rabbit, but not a chicken. Only one night in the Westy this trip. Boy peed his shorts in his sleeping bag (he's only three and I forgot his Pull-Ups), kids fought on the top bunk, so had to seperate them, not enough sleep.....still way better than staying at home. Had to come home tonight (Sat) as eyeball deep in a house remodel.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the van ran well except for one thing. i seem to keep having electrical problems for whatever reason. i think it may be a ground issue - i have a 2nd battery setup so luckily i was able to switch over to that one for starting the van.
for whatever reason, the main battery is not charging - whenever i get in the van and turn the key the clock goes very dim and it wont turn over at all. once i press the relay switch to connect the 2nd battery into the system it starts no problem.

can anyone shed any light on this issue?

i should get some photos up soon...

ian
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went up to Butte Meadows, small (very small) mountain community located at about 4,500 foot elevation. 100+ degrees in the valley but nice and cool up there. Long uphill ride though, had to pull over multiple times to let cars pass, mostly 3rd gear for about 30 miles. Beautiful area next to a creek, quite and lot's of stars. Wes ran like a champ. This is before I found his kitchen rust on Sunday Crying or Very sad I wonder if those $25,000 gowesty vans are still projects too.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took our bay westy to a small lake about an hour and a half south of town. My boys have been bugging to try fishing, so we stopped on the way out of town and got a rod and some hooks. They spent most of the next two days learning to cast and reel it in. They got a couple of bites, but didn't reel one in yet! Now they want a boat to go with the rod! Shocked

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping Bear Dunes, MI. Plenty of lakeshore, bonfire on the beach at night, and the dunes. Drove up late Thursday with my dog, driving down the tight, hilly, windy roads at night (had to slam on the brakes once) a lot of 3rd gear, headlights reflecting off the tree canopy looked like a worm hole. Mostly 70's during the day and as low as 44 at night, mosquitos weren't bad. The van ran like a champ, 20mpg and I couldn't resist 93 octane at $2.72/gal. Bridgestone Duelers at 42psi. Got a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in oil and gas, fuel pump maybe sounds a little quieter. Drove on to Lake Charlevoix to visit family, more bonfires, sailing, and some good home cookin. The way back to Chi was 75mph cruising all the way, MI has a nice greenness about it. Must say, I'm starting to prefer sleeping in the van more than in bed.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to the usual local park for a picnic. My son Ryan(4) caught a three inch bluegill on a flyrod.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too live in a tourism area, we did'nt go anywhere, its quieter at our house than any camping area !! We just did seasonal stuff, brought wood to the hottub area(Snorkel stove !).
I cleaned up the garage, put the stove pipe on the garage woodstove, went out sun. to celebrate the wifes birthday -she turned 39 again-for the 6th time Laughing
I hope everyone had a safe 3 day weekend..............
Heres my wood hauling truck/trailer combo.......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got out of town and did some commercial Halibut fishing. It's the last big weekend here and things really start to quite down now. We're taking the bus up to Denali, leaving this afternoon. One last week-long trip, winter will be upon us before we know it.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: