Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston's New Rear Bumper: Getting it in the End <VERBOS
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Winston's New Rear Bumper: Getting it in the End <VERBOS Reply with quote

Well, that was a trip. It always is. But with a Vanagon, you DO enjoy the journey.

When I bought Winston, his rear bumper chrome and strip were lying in the passenger compartment-- the P.O. had backed into it and knocked it askew. I hammered it into some kind of shape and got it back on, but I was disgusted by its flimsiness, and, worse, it didn't let me open the license plate hatch to add water and oil. It had to go. It went.

From a post found on Google, and something Levi sent me, I knew that the rear bumper off an OLD Ford Bronco--NOT the Bronco II--would fit on a Westy, and then there's that fellow who mounted a Smittybilt Toyota Truck rear bumper on his 'Bundeswehr' Vanagon. I had no luck in finding a Bronco rear bumper. Broncos are a HOT commodity here in Colorado, as are, for a fact, Toyota SR-5 pick up trucks, but there are a LOT of Toyota trucks.

Some of them end up here:

http://www.yotayard.com/home.htm

I called. They explained that 'SR5' in a Toyota is a style package, and that almost any of the old smaller truck bumpers would fit, and that they had a Smittybilt in stock and all I had to do was drive down and get it. I drove down. Someone else had gotten it. They felt guilty enough to keep a promise to call me when the next one showed up, which they sold to me for $124. Here's what it looked like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wasn't quite sure of how to fit it. With the summer camping season at work ending--and I made sure you all knew how THAT went, in short, WELL, and with Winston covering himself with glory, I finally had time to remove the old bumper assembly. That was... Hellish. It didn't have to be. Winston's rear bumper had a towing bar welded between the brackets, with a tongue coming down, I was able to unbolt three of the four bolts holding it all on fairly easily--you can use a 3/4" deep socket, it's one of those Metric convergences--but the fourth... Ah, the fourth...

Either when he hit it, or before, something had knocked the original nut welded into the driver's side passenger bracket off. Whoever repaired it, and it wasn't me, just stuck in a large machine bolt, that stripped as they put it in, and stayed stripped as I spent a really horrible two hours on my back under the van trying to keep outward pressure on the bolt's head while I ratcheted it off.

I cut my hands to ribbons, there was almost no room to work, and about all I had going for me was sheer stubbornness and a variety of prying tools. Finally the whole thing came off, once we cut nylon ties holding the trailer wiring harness to the bumper. The result looked like this:

Cool <WARNING! VANAGON REAR NUDITY!>: Cool

A fellow Samba-ite. [email protected], pulled and sent me, with some trouble, two bumper brackets that DIDN'T have a big steel beam welded in between them. Here they are:

The problem there was that I couldn't get the Toyota bumper in between them, due to the flange for the two bolts that hold the chrome onto the brackets in the stock set up.

G & S Auto Parts
5756 S. Lowell
Littleton, CO 80123
303-795-1412

machined those off for me for $10, and were quite emphatic that the bumper (which I'd brought along) would have to be welded to the brackets. They were as helpful as they were emphatic and gave me careful directions and a phone call introduction to:

Len's Welding and Fabrication
5880 S. Curtice
Littleton, CO 80120
303-794-6001
[email protected]

Len Marks, bewildered welder, proprietor. I think I bewildered him. I bewilder myself. Len is an adaptable fellow, though, he goes to Off-Road Rallies and welds damaged vehicles there back together in the field. He was able to cope.

Len looked at the Winston, bumper, the brackets, and me, and came to some conclusions. He said it'd be better to weld the VW brackets directly to the bumper, and he would add a plate on top of that connecting the VW bumper brackets to the tabs on the Toyota Bumper.

That was what we did this morning. He jacked the bumper into place and centered it where I wanted it, then made his welds. I respected how carefully he checked the alignment of the bumper and that the license plate hatch would open. Here's a shot of Len doing his welds:

I darted in and took a picture of the brackets while Len was making the two plates. Note the gap between the Toyota tabs and the VW brackets:

Those are what decided Len to do things the way he did and I thought he was right. Having himself had a rough summer, Len desired to be paid in cash, but, it took him an hour, and his shop rate is $50, and that worked out pretty well. Yes, I'm recommending him.

Len also advised me to get the missing bumper bolt and pulled one so I could match it, and also suggested, strongly, that I paint the new steel as quickly as possible. I followed both wise suggestions. Here is what the bracket and the plate looked like with three coats of Hammerite smooth gloss black on it:

I masked off Winston with a big piece of cardboard. Here, at long last, is the final picture of the finished product:

Another piece of advice that Len gave me was not to tow anything heavy at all with that rig--he'd have given me that same advice with the previous bumper, given how the brackets mount to the van. I wouldn't put anything more than half a ton behind Winston, but I doubt if I'd ever need to do that, anyway. I want to put some blue or red reflectors on that bumper, I've got some emblem adhesive that I used to lock the plastic tube ends in place, they've been falling out.

Let's see... Leaving out applicable taxes, etc., the bill comes to:

$124 for the bumper to the Yota Yard
$10 to G & S for the machining
$10 Postage and Handling for the Brackets
$50 to Len Marks for welding and confusion
$2 for the new bumper bracket bolt (B3) and washer

for a total of $196 before reckoning the several million in pain and anguish from removing that !@$%@#!% stripped bolt! Evil or Very Mad

But... I like the look. Twisted Evil HIT THIS, TAILGATER! Twisted Evil Did I mention that I was tired?

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SORRY. That bumper looks tacky! I just hate those things. Sorry. But, it just irqs me to see such things. You would have much less hassle just getting a new stock black bumper for the front and back If you wanted more steel, you could just weld in bar stock.

I just HATE those tube bumpers. They look bad, to me.

I hope you like it, I can not stand it.

Sorry....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
clickypens52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks pretty good
except a little short

but definitely an improvement from an old tore-up bumper
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painfully blunt honesty. Ouch! Shocked

Grandma used to tell me "If you can't say anything nice...".

Lots of hard work and constructive creativity. Nice job!

I enjoy your write-ups about your adventures with Winston. Keep 'em coming.

Regards,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed your write-up and, most importantly, the fact that you got Len to tuck in part of his shirt for the picture so we did not burn our eyes out with his Welder's Crack.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
kcwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks great! It will protect Winston from those pesky Colorado rocks, the price is right & it may keep the pin heads in their SUV's off your behind!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to be constructive. It IS too short. He will still catch the corners of the bus.

Yes, yes, I just don't care for it.

BTW: It is MY opinion and recall, just like something else, everybody has one. Some reek (sp?) more than others!

I can't say much too, though, I have those cheesy (nice looking) bumpers.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reviews! Reviews! Reply with quote

"The orchestra then expressed its own view of the performance by exchanging gunfire with the first three rows of the audience... "

:2gunfire: :snipersmile: :2gunfire:

Laughing

I like it, and guess whose view counts?

Laughing

But, if you want to put ANY OTHER kind of bumper on yours, I've left a detailed account HOW. Thank you for the interest and the kind words. Good thing I got that paint on, it rained this evening.

Very Happy

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did my mind generate a cracking of the buttocks image where apparently there isn't one... Think
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give it a B+. A little narrow, but good enough. An not terribly heavy methinks.
I saw an 82 Diesel westy w/ turbo in Des Moines last spring and it had a pretty neat bumper. chrome, but looked like it was from an RV or truck or something. Looked like it was aftermarket. A little curved, as viewed from above., it looks rather strong, yet light and furthermore integrates into the Vanagon's lines.
Myself, I've figured out that about 2 hours with a 2 lb hammer and some blocks of wood, wil leave the old one pretty nice, especially when part of it gets covered with the rubber strip anyway.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I am SORRY. That bumper looks tacky! I just hate those things. Sorry. But, it just irqs me to see such things. You would have much less hassle just getting a new stock black bumper for the front and back If you wanted more steel, you could just weld in bar stock.

I just HATE those tube bumpers. They look bad, to me.

I hope you like it, I can not stand it.

Sorry....

I have to agree. It's too short and it looks like hell....but if the owner likes it, I guess that's all that matters. Personally, if I spent $200 on something for any of my vehicles and it looked like that when I was done I would be pissed....but to each their own.

I just don't understand though...you went from a bent up bumper to an ill fitting one that you can't tow anything with AND looks completely wrong for the Vanagon.....what was the point? I would have just gotten a good stock Vanagon bumper to replace it. One more question...why did you block out the numbers on your license plate? What mystical informaiton could one gather about you from your license plate? It always boggled my mind that someone would take the time to blur out their license plates...when EVERYONE who sees your car out on the road everyday can see the same information. You can't do anything with a license plate number...why bother? It's like people not wanting to give out VIN numbers when trying to sell a vehicle when it's visible right through the window....doesn't make sense.....
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in some states there is more attached with a plate number then here in NY.. but yeah it's out for public perview when yer driving it anyways.. I don't know..

as for the bumper, a tad short, but Oh so much better then that joke of a vanagon bumper they put on these darned things..

Ohh and as for towing rating, the issues with welding to the STOCK hangers is the problem, if you approached the bumper welder initially and sourced about 18" of 2.5" of BOX or C'channel and some creative marking/welding on blind nuts. then you could get a far more STURDY frame to bumper connection..

and hitch MFGs never gave vanagons a real hitch (aside from Westfalia, but you'd think we'd see more of those Question )

you have a 3500#'s+ van with occasionally limited rear visibility.. with a piece of chrome crap that Vdubtech and I can mangle BY HAND.. Evil or Very Mad

I put a larger square tube hitch on mine, welded to the brackets by yours truely and it is just a scant inches wider, I'm still planning on decking the top and the wrap around sides ala ARB style. also will be adding my swingdown humvee style rear spare tire carrier, as my front clamshell will be removed with 'other' future plans.. gives a nice place to mount my PINTLE hitch for my little military trailer.

of course this is all TEMPORARY, it'll slide over to my syncro project once thatsw done and I'll go back to a more sleek fitting stockish bumper in the end for the 80 TD

I'll snap some images of my Isuzu NPR bumper (really just square tube) and pintle over the weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one wanted, a more robust bolt on solution made of heavier steel, one could put the SA bumpers on. I think there may be a US repro of those too, but am not sure.

I am sorry, but seeing the rear valance through the rear bumper is just so damn un appelling, especially when I see all that dark oily mess on the rear panel too.

It is just all wrong for the van.

"That is my opinion, what is yours"

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: It also reminds me of the 2x4 bumpers you see from time to time. It just does not belong.

I am VERY biased, as you can tell. Decades of cringing at those half assed bumpers has finally made me make a statement from safely behind my keyboard.

I do know that beuaty is in the eyes of the beholder, but ugly truly does go all the way to the bone. To me the tube bumper looks like bones. Butt ugly.

I need to stop this rant before........

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Towing with a stock Westy Reply with quote

LOL!

Towing with a stock Westy? LOL!

PLEAZZZ......they are slow enough the way they are. The stock ones weaze if you turn on the AC!

I just can laugh about this part of the thread....

VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a stock Westy Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
LOL!

Towing with a stock Westy? LOL!

PLEAZZZ......they are slow enough the way they are. The stock ones weaze if you turn on the AC!

I just can laugh about this part of the thread....

I tow with my '74 Bus all the time with a stock 1800cc air cooled motor and a single carb. I've towed a '71 Bus full of scrap metal to the scrapyard with my '74...total weight across the scales...over 7000 pounds. Thre's no reason you couldn't tow with a stock Westy, a small utility trailer would be just fine. The 2.1 in my '90 Vanagon had TONS more power than my '74 does and it tows just fine.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am too afraid to be run hit or run over. It is dangerous if you can not be going the same high warp factors as everybody else does. I constantly get the single finger pointing to heaven gesture from other drivers. They are trying to tell me to go to heaven so I am not in their way.

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Doo doo, dee doo... Reply with quote

<just walks around innocently, dropping knives where those arguing can find them...> Twisted Evil

I rather like the extra air that will be going through the engine compartment, actually, the exposed valence and holes don't bother me a bit. I wouldn't mind masking the hinges for the license plate hatch. I really COULDN'T open that hatch with the old bumper, and I took wood blocks and a hammer to it for quite some time before giving up on it.

The new bumper's step adds functionality I didn't have, and I believe that the tube bumper looks menacing and grill-destroying to whomever's hanging onto my tail. I'm going to mount some blue or red reflectors on it, as I've said, in the hope of being a bit less likely to get sideswiped in a camp ground.

Towing is the most strain you can put on an engine, and with a 1.9 Westy, that valiant little engine is doing all you can reasonably ask just to move that heavy Vanagon AND camper body along at 65 mph. I might consider a very light micro-trailer of a half-ton or less, which that rig could handle, but I just think there are other vehicles more suited for towing than Winston. I think the new bumper, BTW, is lighter than the old rig, and I'm always glad to shed a few pounds. On the van, too.

I don't mind the objections, and I'm very fond of you all, and, what's more, I respect your intelligence and opinions. This is one of the most interesting online insane asylums in which I've ever been an inmate! The license plate thing is just basic paranoia. You pass a Vanagon on the road, you don't know it's ME unless you can get a good look at the rear bumper! One of the first responses I ever got on the Samba was the poster saying he'd come over and torch out Winston's engine. It was a joke. I think. Shocked

I'd love to see someone put together a better rig for what I paid for this one, and if someone in my opinion has done that, I'll say so! But, I'm happy with my creation, proud that I saw it through, and anyone considering a different bumper modification knows how I did mine as either something to follow or something to avoid. That's my main purpose in taking those pictures and typing that text.

Best!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*applauds.

and be happy, it's a fine bumper, beauty is int he eye of the beer holder.. look around it's not like we'd all make the same choices in our life partners (hetero or not) but it's to he that finds beauty and happiness thats well. ..

anyways.. I agree that ANY functionality improvement in our german army knives of a vehicle is an imporvement.. don't car if mines a warthog, long as it's stout, capable, and functional..

for grill crushing.. yeah I'll gether a image of my pintle (shin basher) this wkend.

as for towing. you do have to differentiate between expressway and 2ndary roads.. I once tow'd my baja to a show in the neighboring city (1.5hrs each way) for a VW show. behind my poor little camper powered by a 1600cc turbo diesel total weight was near 6,000#'s and 1600ccs.. was fine, but stopping was a chore..
I've hung a square hitch cargo carrier FULL of firewood off the back.. (stretch wrapped for safety) now that made me nervous about my DIY welds.. and hence my next bumper will be better designed then just 'tacked' on as this and mine currently are..

for those that like crumpled chrome bumpers, feel free to swing by and you can have any one of my 3
they are ALL getting replaced.

dan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I guess I am too afraid to be run hit or run over. It is dangerous if you can not be going the same high warp factors as everybody else does. I constantly get the single finger pointing to heaven gesture from other drivers. They are trying to tell me to go to heaven so I am not in their way.
I, too have done quite a bit of towing with a stock 87 Vanagon. Including the day when my wife and I drove 400 miles to St. Louis and bought 2 late model Vanagons. She drove one, while I towed the second with my 87 and a tow bar. Actually the 2.1 had enough power to go 55-60 on the whole route except for a couple of hills that bogged me down to 47 or so.
The big problem was STOPPING.. A panic stop made the rear of the front vehicle nearly lift and skid all the wheels. Just drive carefully and all was well.
If I did this very often, I'd get one of those things that remotely actuates the towed cars brakes. 55 was fast enough that day. Oh, 16.8mpg towing the other vanagon. Not much worse than with nothing hitched on!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: