Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sunvisor question ...important ...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: sunvisor question ...important ... Reply with quote

Hi everyone !!!

since i am real close to reproduce the sunvisor material, i would like to know what is the correct color and shape for a split ......

i have 3 sunvisors , 1 that came with my car and it is translucent black /dark grey .....2 that came from an ebay auction , one of them is very dark red , similar shape as the 1st one , and the last one is dark green , same shape as the previous 2 , but with a small rib over one side of the plastic , the other side is flat .

last one is not an oval sunvisor

material is not perspex ......

any advice about color and shape ????

sunvisor frames would follow ...

thank you !!!

Ricardo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you said in your other thread regarding the sunvisor's you weren't going to reproduce them Confused Laughing Laughing Shocked Don't take me serious though Ricardo I'm glad your repopping them because there's alot of split beetle's out there without sunvisor's Wink

Libreriajenny
Samba Contributor

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 pm Post subject: sunvisor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no , i don`t want to have them reproduced , i just need one for my car ...i have the og part , but the perspex shrunk and is badly warped ....

otherwise , the mirror and the sunvisor frame are in perfect condition .

by last , what`s wrong if i would like to get the part to reproduce it ?? that would help dozens of vw users .....
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: sunvisor Reply with quote

i don`t think that a left side sunvisor would be a "crown`s jewel " or a very , ultra , super rare accesory .....this sunvisor will help the car to looks good and it originally came with the car ....

all the parts i have reproduced were made thinking in my own car`s needs , but since a company won`t manufacture just a single piece , here we go ....

i will manufacture the sunvisor plastic material , and maybe i `ll try to manufacture the frame ....but no promises here ......

believe me , i cannot pay 600 euros for a nos sunvisor , and i believe that most of you cannot pay that crazy sum either .....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey !!! 130 hits and just 1 answer ????

c`mon guys !! a plastic engineer is going to visit me tomorrow and i should have a clue by then !!!

tell me , smoked red , green or black/grey ??

one side ribbed or just flat both sides ??

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEE
wolfsburgvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the visor on my 51 unrestored is green,flat both sides. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfsburgvw wrote:
the visor on my 51 unrestored is green,flat both sides. Very Happy

I agree. Flat and green. 1/3 again thicker vs an oval's plastic.
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my unrestored but schrunk visor plastic is almost 2mm thick , with a grey/green - smoked plastic ......flat both sides ....

as stated before , bought 2 sunvisors at ebay , 1 is exactly like mine`s but dark red , the other is green , but with the rib on the upper face ..

so if all of you agree , i will try the 1st variant that came in my car .......
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people visiting this site Ricardo only read posts strictly out of curiousity and for learning purposes, but here is some more data to consider. I have a several of these original split visors, from the NOS one on my car to several used, all are a semi-translucent dark green (almost black) when held up to a strong light, and no lip, all flat edged. The only style I've had with a slight incation of a raised lip on one side which were correct for a split were manufactured by Hagus, a period correct replacement parts maker for these, and those were also a dark green, and that one I have is an NOS accessory passenger visor on my 50, you can see these visors in a picture in my gallery.

I've also seen a few different colors in the past but can't prove or even truly know if they were original or not, or if they were weathered at all, but for sure anything is possible however, as there were several sources for these during the days, and I'm sure some folks simply fixed their own visors during the days with what they could find. But, as you can tell from the set you got from Andy on Ebay, the far greater majority are a dark green, and would be the direction I would choose to go in color. To get the most accurate color though as a reference point, I would suggest sanding both sides of the visor you have to remove the top oxidation layers that are there (which happens to all 50 year old plastic), then polish it out to determine the most likely original color of the visor first, then use that as your color chip to match to a new plastic.

Its a great project, definitely a needed solution for split owners. Don't believe it makes much sense to just reproduce the plastic however, ideally you could produce the complete solution turnkey (ready to install), that is if you can hopefully sort out the costs to produce them (authentically that is) at a reasonable price. My guess to consider would be an original level quality reproduction visor would sell attractively in maybe the $90 - $125 range, again assuming its a truly authentic representation, thats really clean, next to no tooling marks, correct rivet heads, reliable, and plastic doesn't deform in higher heat conditions. Good luck with it!

Gary
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the shot of the set in my car as mentioned, note the color of both, and the slight raised lip on the accessory Hagus visor:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a lip of any kind on an original split visor.......rt or left. In fact I have an original visor (driver side) in my '53 that is identical to the accessory visor in Gary's split. My guess is that is an oval accessory visor or at best a Zwitter visor.

Any other split owners have a visor with a "lip" on it? Perhaps a dated accessory catalogue can clear this up since I also have that visor in my oval, and I would much rather have a "oval" visor. Wink
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I GOT ONE FOR YA HOW ABOUT REPRODUCING A PASSENGER SIDE VISOR FOR EARLY CONVERTIBLES Question
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubinit wrote:
HOW ABOUT REPRODUCING A PASSENGER SIDE VISOR FOR EARLY CONVERTIBLES Question

I need one of those too.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
vdubinit wrote:

I need one of those too.

There you go Ricardo.........two guys with deep pockets. Make them happy. Wink
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
RareAir wrote:
vdubinit wrote:

I need one of those too.

There you go Ricardo.........two guys with deep pockets. Make them happy. Wink
Maybe only 1 because Glenn still cant even come up with the 100.00 he said he would give me over a year ago.
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
vdubinit wrote:

I need one of those too.

Me too Very Happy
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the sunvisor topic here goes: Where did all the repro oval era sunvisors go? In the spring everybody had them - now nobody has them. Is there anyone who is in the loop who knows when the repros will, or even if they will be back?
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: sunvisor repros Reply with quote

if everything goes ok with the split visors , the next step will be an oval visor .....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any success on the early vert passenger visor??

It seems all the sedan visors are out of stock as well.

Were any complete visors ever produced?
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on the short convertible sunvisor assy, don't worry it'll be ready soon

1951 crotch cooler split
1971 1302 cabriolet
1981 Mercedes Benz 230 military "Gelandewagen"
2010 Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor touring
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swanlakers wrote:
Since this is the sunvisor topic here goes: Where did all the repro oval era sunvisors go? In the spring everybody had them - now nobody has them. Is there anyone who is in the loop who knows when the repros will, or even if they will be back?
I spoke to Shawn at Vintage a few weeks ago who has these produced in Asia. He said the production had been interupted due to a severe weather in the country where the are manufactured but some have been made and are in route to the US and should become available soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: