Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

In the process of building a new engine I decided to use Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through to protect the metal line as it passes through the engine tin.

I was able to get everything at my local ACE Hardware for a few dollars. I used a 1" threaded lamp fitting, but cut it to 1/2" so the hardline can make it through without having to be bent. I also used threaded knurled fittings instead of washers.

(1) 1" pipe $0.50
(2) 9/16" nuts $0.30 each
(2) knurled threaded fitting $0.60 each

ACE also had a nice selection of rubber gromets for the valve cover breather hoses and my oil line for my mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Glenn.
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal...The fuel pipe wont wear with an 1/2 inch of support, like it would the thin engine tin edge. Does it have a snug fit to the fuel line, or do you plan to use a light coat of sealant where it passes through?

Thanks for the pics, think I'll do the same.

Greg
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could slide in a thin piece of rubber, like from a bicycle tube.

This it nothing new, Bob Hoover came up with this years ago. I originally had a gromet there, but I found it sitting on the tin, cut in half.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done this "mod" to every engine i have had for years....just that little bit of extra protection....i usualy just do it the way bob describes and it works great....lowe's, ACE, any hardware store should have the stuff....thanks for putting up pictures Glenn more folks need to *see* how easy it is...
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what bugninva said. Cheap insurance against a catastrophic failure. One of the few times I advocate trash-canning VW's engineering in favor of a home-brew fix.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

Glenn, can you repost your photos?

Glenn wrote:
In the process of building a new engine I decided to use Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through to protect the metal line as it passes through the engine tin.

I was able to get everything at my local ACE Hardware for a few dollars. I used a 1" threaded lamp fitting, but cut it to 1/2" so the hardline can make it through without having to be bent. I also used threaded knurled fittings instead of washers.

(1) 1" pipe $0.50
(2) 9/16" nuts $0.30 each
(2) knurled threaded fitting $0.60 each

ACE also had a nice selection of rubber gromets for the valve cover breather hoses and my oil line for my mechanical oil pressure gauge.

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

02/76 Beetle sedan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

Thank you-nice to see the Hoover link too. Been reading thru his 850 page blog...

Matt
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

I love ace man....it’s amazing what you can come up with just by taking some time and strolling around. Fabulous idea for only a few bucks!
So, the original idea from vw......why was it not very good? To much rattling and it eventually wore through the fuel line and then the fuel leaked out? Why not make the hole larger so it would chafe?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

No one expected these cars to still be on the road 60 years later.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
No one expected these cars to still be on the road 60 years later.

Laughing

02/76 Beetle sedan
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

I liked the low cost solution here, but wanted something to really hold the line in place personally, so I had a few of these made. They act like the lamp shade threaded rod concept but use Yor-Lok style ferrules to really clamp the line down and prevent it from moving around within the ID. Works with the 1/4" brakeline that I'm sure 90% of us are using as fuel line.

UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

Do you guys not have bulkhead fittings stateside?
bedlamite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Do you guys not have bulkhead fittings stateside?

Yep, that's the preferred method.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/110242/10002/-1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XAFICS?tag=duckduckgo-brave-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

I use electrical conduit fittings

For just about everything

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: My version of Bob Hoover's fuel line pass through Reply with quote

yea, not going to argue that using a stock style fuel line is a better set up than running all AN fittings from the tank back. Just offering another alternative to anyone who doesn't want to invest in all that AN hardware but still wants to improve the situation between the stock hard line and the front tin. AN bulkhead fittings are available stateside. all options in this thread are better than the stock rubber o ring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: