Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges - Post Pics!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

For those of you using three Speedhut gauges, or who have deleted the center stack of LEDs, are the lights in the gauges a suitable replacement for that stack? My question is specifically in regards to my understanding that the Speedhut lights require programing in order to establish triggering parameters. So if say the main battery dies or is disconnected, will this require all of those lights to be reprogrammed?

I'm building a three gauge cluster to replace the entire center section of the stock dash in a client's Club Joker. I don't want him to be stuck with a situation down the road when he swaps out the battery and then his lights will no longer function as a suitable replacement for the factory idiot lights. Obviously the low coolant, and glow plug lights need to be separate, but will the battery and oil pressure lights function without programming?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gauges I ordered are similar to the above, but the fuel gauge replaces the oil temp in the four gauge set on the right side. Note that there is a single low or high parameter light associated with every gauge in that set. The lights in the speedo are for turn signals and high beam, which I'm sure won't require programming.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

i think youll be fine, the cals should be stored independent of battery power to the gauge. itd be really annoying if they werent given the kinds of hobby cars these usually go in.

the reason im 99.9999% sure thats the case is that i set up all of my cals on the bench, unhooked the gauges from my benchtop supply and walked them to the inoperable van. where they sat for some time before being used, without issue.

you can easily try it on the bench to confirm also

the only time i had to reset the cals was on the quad gauge, after sending it back to speedhut to extend the fuel level filter constant.
which if you havent read about, i think i covered in my build thread but is a must before using it in the van given the tank/sender layout.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Excellent feedback! I'll revisit your thread when the gauges finally arrive. I bought that decade box based on your recommendation, so I should be prepared.

y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I found this housing while searching for something else...Won't work for my setup but it's a novel approach to mounting accessory gauges in the locker panel spot (2wd or non locker, I mean):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1032933408/custom-vw-...M3EALw_wcB

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Interesting locaation, but for gauges which don't need constant monitoring, probably OK. But since the housing drapes over the footwell air plastic, it might be a pain to deal with.

Duncan
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I thought I had already posted this, but apparently I forgot. Anyway, here's my scratch-built gauge cluster as part of a general interior remodel:

https://intrepidoverland.com/up-cocking-the-pit/

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I like the industrial LT look of that cluster.

y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I thought I had already posted this, but apparently I forgot. Anyway, here's my scratch-built gauge cluster as part of a general interior remodel:

Very trick!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

there's so much i like about this ... the retention of idiot lights, increased area and gauges, a smaller tach, fan control, and the overall look. i'd like a rubber mat interior without any carpet.

one thing i've really come to like is the the $25 current meters with a current coil on the negative batt lead. it gives such a granular indication of the amount of current going in/out of the battery and it's state of charge acceptance. can really see when batteries are topped up vs just maintaining an even charging voltage.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I like the industrial LT look of that cluster.

Thanks. Yeah as the mockup was coming together I noticed the similarity as well. Not surprising, both are purely utilitarian, and when fancy isn't the goal, what you get is straightforward and simple.

I plan on some followup blog posts on aspects of those projects, such as certain wiring details, adapting a distributor Hall unit for a speedo pulse genny, adding custom armrests to aftermarket seats, a whole bunch of stuff.

Unfortunately, I post new stuff less and less often because every time Wordpress updates they do what all the so-called "tech industry" does, which is to make their products harder to use, more buggy and less efficient. It's their world, assholes all, we're just forced to live in it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

The gauge cluster I did for a client's Joker Syncro turned out similarly bereft of embellishments. My personal van has that same steering wheel and I love it. I'll bet it works better than stock with that gauge layout, as the tops of my original gauges are lopped out of sight.

y u rune klassik?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Well as I mention in my article, I had long intended to build a custom cluster, someday. Then when I put in the the 4-button wheel, its smaller radius blocked my view of the top of the stock gauges, so that was the goad to get on with it.

I modeled it up as accurately as I could including setting a rod as my estimated sightline, plus a cutout simulating the wheel rim, to sight down to be sure the critical sections of all the gauges would be visible. So I found that the two temp gauges could be in the median positions in the top row where the lower half of the dials is blocked, cuz I have no normal need to see cold temps, whereas oil pressure, fuel and clock needed to be in the lateral spots because I need to see the full scales on those. Similarly the speedo's barely left of center so I can see it all, and the tach is nudged right because the working range is all along its left side. And so on.

No substitute for a full physical mockup on something like this where the details will make the difference between elegant functionality and just another horrid hack-fest.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I modeled it up as accurately as I could including setting a rod as my estimated sightline, plus a cutout simulating the wheel rim, to sight down to be sure the critical sections of all the gauges would be visible. So I found that the two temp gauges could be in the median positions in the top row where the lower half of the dials is blocked, cuz I have no normal need to see cold temps, whereas oil pressure, fuel and clock needed to be in the lateral spots because I need to see the full scales on those. Similarly the speedo's barely left of center so I can see it all, and the tach is nudged right because the working range is all along its left side. And so on.

No substitute for a full physical mockup on something like this where the details will make the difference between elegant functionality and just another horrid hack-fest.

Clock? Where is the clock?

I agree that obstruction is a biggie and unacceptable. My gauge replacement started with not liking the squarish factory cluster pod. First I ground the corners down to soften them and subsequently decided to go with a whole different look with black on white for a retro look. During the process, I changed to a larger non power steering wheel which gives a better look at the dials and I like the comfort with the bigger diameter. All the center urethane was removed and the diameter of grip reduced.

Still a working mockup 3.0. Mockups, in my opinion, as you did, are the only way to go to insure satisfaction.

If a fella averages 50 MPH for simple figuring, and drives 10k a year, that is 200 hours behind the wheel looking at it. Why would you begrudge a few hours with a mockup to make sure you get it right?

The final version will have slightly larger gauge diameters. I have fuel and water temp in the middle because the cast iron brake hydraulic wad is behind it and not much room.

The sight lines are all unobstructed thanks to messing with it. Look forward to the day it's all finished with the 17th coat of varnish on. Because I wanted to design my own dials and decide on their finished diameter, I opted to mod the factory instruments. Lots 'o work and disappointments, but I'll win in the end. Getting the black on white odometer wheels was interesting.

Duncan
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

That had to take a ton of work!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
A ton of fun!!Work on a T3 is when it needs a job done. Mods and improvements are the desert in the dinner of something we'd rather not eat, but mom says we have to.

Duncan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
davlance01 wrote:
A ton of fun!!Work on a T3 is when it needs a job done. Mods and improvements are the desert in the dinner of something we'd rather not eat, but mom says we have to.

Duncan

I always remember it this way.

Would you rather have more dessert than desert? (More 's' in dessert.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Not to derail the subject, but thank you Dave . . . Always nice to have a trick up the sleeve when it comes to spelling.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Cawt agein with my crapie speling.

When I play Scrabble, I'm lucky to get "cat".

Never can figure it out. Planning a board through my plainer, 'er can't miss the planing board meeting?

I desssssssserve correction for all the double and single letter mistakes I make.

Duncan P.S. And while we're at it, why is Christ's Mass spelled with a single s at the end? Didn't they get that wrong?
1988Dokaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Here is a recent picture.

Cool gauges! Where'd you find them? I searched on ebay only to find what looked them for $250. Is that about right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Jump to:
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: