Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges - Post Pics!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

^^^ Well done (as usual), Kourt.

How do you divide use of the Speedhut gauges v. the Ultragauge? Do you rely on the Speedhut gauges for normal driving and the Ultragauge for details such as mpg, etc?

I’ve settled into using both the stock gauges and the Ultragauge (although my speedo works and we got the tach to be w/in about 100 rpm accuracy at hwy speeds) and enjoy that combination.

Regardless, it’s nice to see a stock-looking Speedhut install!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Right now I'm just using the Ultragauge to check the accuracy of the Speedhut gauges. I think I will move the Ultragauge to a less conspicuous area but keep it connected for diagnostics.

Before these Speedhut gauges, I used the UG exclusively for speed, tach, CHT and fuel range. I didn't really look at the old Vanagon gauges. I disliked having this big useless instrument cluster, so that really motived me to fix up the analog gauges with Speedhut units and rely less on the UG.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Very nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Right now I'm just using the Ultragauge to check the accuracy of the Speedhut gauges. I think I will move the Ultragauge to a less conspicuous area but keep it connected for diagnostics.

Before these Speedhut gauges, I used the UG exclusively for speed, tach, CHT and fuel range. I didn't really look at the old Vanagon gauges. I disliked having this big useless instrument cluster, so that really motived me to fix up the analog gauges with Speedhut units and rely less on the UG.

kourt

Ah, I can follow the evolution now: UG replaced decaying stock gauges. Now Speedhut gauges are replacing somewhat rudimentary and clunky UG gauge panel.

That makes sense. You’re one step ahead of me. Very Happy

p.s. I just saw the explanatory paragraph on this in the original post. Doh.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

^^^^ That is really slick! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Lots of options (even custom ones) here! Wink

https://uniwerksdesign.com/vw-vanagon/vanagon-plastic-parts/gauge-pods/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Very nice job. Like it!!

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Just an update: I moved my UltraGauge to stick to the windshield in the lower left (driver's perspective) corner, behind the state registration sticker. It serves as a good heads-up display there, and remains helpful by providing speed and MPG in big numbers, and programmable service reminders and OBD diagnostics within its menus.

kourt
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Today I put together another set of three Gauge pods for a different Van but slightly updated the method of mounting the Pods to the Van. My first set was from 2014. The original magnet system used 3/4” rare earth fixed to the base of the gauge mount with VHB tape. The tape has deteriorated and the gauges were constantly shifting around before that, never perfectly aligned...

The same gauge pods are still available

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This time I am using 1” diameter magnets inserted into metal cups which focus and increase the magnetic force while also providing a convenient mount point for the gauge pod ball joint. 8-32 flat head screws and a nut hold the ball firmly to the magnet cup.The 8-32 nut recesses nicely into the top of the ball and allows full articulation of the joint. I used a self adhesive anti slip cover to provide friction so the pods stay in place and aligned. (The black dots)

Important tip: Make a notch in the side of the magnet cups to permit a screwdriver tip or pick in order to facilitate magnet removal in the future.

Here is an image of my pods in position with the new system, plus some shots of the new pods attached to the A pillar.

Tweeter enclosure application.....?

Very flexible positioning, great visibility, no drilling.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Great idea!

T3 Pilot wrote:
Today I put together another set of three Gauge pods for a different Van but slightly updated the method of mounting the Pods to the Van. My first set was from 2014. The original magnet system used 3/4” rare earth fixed to the base of the gauge mount with VHB tape. The tape has deteriorated and the gauges were constantly shifting around before that, never perfectly aligned...

The same gauge pods are still available

This time I am using 1” diameter magnets inserted into metal cups which focus and increase the magnetic force while also providing a convenient mount point for the gauge pod ball joint. 8-32 flat head screws and a nut hold the ball firmly to the magnet cup.The 8-32 nut recesses nicely into the top of the ball and allows full articulation of the joint. I used a self adhesive anti slip cover to provide friction so the pods stay in place and aligned. (The black dots)

Important tip: Make a notch in the side of the magnet cups to permit a screwdriver tip or pick in order to facilitate magnet removal in the future.

Here is an image of my pods in position with the new system, plus some shots of the new pods attached to the A pillar.

Tweeter enclosure application.....?

Very flexible positioning, great visibility, no drilling.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

figured id add my contribution as i just wrapped up the speedhut install. went a slightly different route than kourt, i wanted to use the mounting hardware and lighting that the gauges came with. had some scrap abs and pushed the mounting forward. used jb weld plastic epoxy and a tight physical fit to get the new mounting face in there. along with a new center stack with glowplug light and MIL from smallcar.

so far no issues with the fuel level - i used a decade box to calibrate the min/max - but will report back once we get more miles on it.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
f

So does the instrument lights from the new gauges reflect in the windshield at night?

I just bought a VDO GPS Speedometer, not sure when I'm going to install it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
captmatthew1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I recently relocated my extra gauges from the dash to the A-pillar.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
f

So does the instrument lights from the new gauges reflect in the windshield at night?

in the testing ive done in the dark-ish garage they dont seem to. we'll see how it goes in actual dark road driving

T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Hey there,

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on some Speedhut gauges. I'll be buying the same gauges as both valvecovergasket (I assume your gauges are also the 4" and not the Speedhut 4-1/2") and kourt though I haven't quite decided between placing the gauges on the front like valvecovergasket or the back like kourt. I already have the GoWesty circuitry installed in the back, so wiring should be relatively straight forward. I'll also be adding a 2-1/16 engine oil temp gauge and another for transaxle temp somewhere around there too (haven't figured out that one yet either).

Do any of you have a little more input on your choices regarding the position (same as original vs on the face of the cluster), feedback on reflections, visibility at night, or through the steering wheel?

I've also read that the fuel gauge can be all over the place but I believe that was feedback from 2WD van owners (we have a syncro). Any additional info or testing on that?

Thanks, and both setups look awesome and so much more usable by the way!

valvecovergasket wrote:
figured id add my contribution as i just wrapped up the speedhut install. went a slightly different route than kourt, i wanted to use the mounting hardware and lighting that the gauges came with. had some scrap abs and pushed the mounting forward. used jb weld plastic epoxy and a tight physical fit to get the new mounting face in there. along with a new center stack with glowplug light and MIL from smallcar.

so far no issues with the fuel level - i used a decade box to calibrate the min/max - but will report back once we get more miles on it.

kourt wrote:
I finally finished my gauges project.

- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
f

followup to this - no reflections at night, and i really like the backlighting and needle lighting of the speedhuts..
the only reflections i get a bit of are the ashtray gauges, but its minimal.

T3TRIS wrote:
Hey there,

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on some Speedhut gauges. I'll be buying the same gauges as both valvecovergasket (I assume your gauges are also the 4" and not the Speedhut 4-1/2") and kourt though I haven't quite decided between placing the gauges on the front like valvecovergasket or the back like kourt. I already have the GoWesty circuitry installed in the back, so wiring should be relatively straight forward. I'll also be adding a 2-1/16 engine oil temp gauge and another for transaxle temp somewhere around there too (haven't figured out that one yet either).

Do any of you have a little more input on your choices regarding the position (same as original vs on the face of the cluster), feedback on reflections, visibility at night, or through the steering wheel?

I've also read that the fuel gauge can be all over the place but I believe that was feedback from 2WD van owners (we have a syncro). Any additional info or testing on that?

Thanks, and both setups look awesome and so much more usable by the way!

i bought the same ones as kourt - the 4"
the actual hole saw size i used to cut those panels was a bit smaller as i recall 3-7/8? so the gauge is actually ~4" as measured at the bezels.

im really happy with my setup and especially like the backlighting of the numbers and the needle lighting. i find it looks a bit more modern.
as i recall kourts thread he was looking for a much more original setup and preferred the face lighting as a result but ill let him chime in...

my interest in mounting them toward the front was just because i didnt want to make any extra hardware or brackets and clamp the gauges (kourt had a really clever way of doing this), and wanted initially to mount them in the same location as kourt (or thereabouts) but use the speedhut mounting ring and all that.
unfortunately the cluster tapers way too much to allow for that, so i pushed it as far forward as i could to make it look not too out of place and gave me enough room to mount the gauges with the bezels and mounting rings they came with.

fuel gauge can be an issue below around 1/4 tank. the 2wd tank likely exagerates this as the sender is in one corner of the tank.
others ive seen also mentioned that their low fuel light comes on and off as a result, but mine doesnt...
i dont know if this is a software difference as some of those threads were a few years old, or if they turned their light on via settings and i neglected to when i set mine up.
all i did to the gauges when they came out of the box was test the filtering, calibrate with a decade box, and then plug them in.

im finding the oil pressure gauge to perhaps be a bit under damped as well, for what thats worth...

i reached out to speedhut this morning to see if this was something they could fix with reprogramming (this should be a simple filter constant calibration on their end...) but we'll see.
im not hacking together aftermarket level senders or dropping the tank again, as they should be more than capable of compensating for filter constant changes.

the gps speedo is also good, but not perfect and i think suffers from a similar filtering issue as the rest of their gauges (dropouts can cause a hard plummet to 0, proper software would have accommodated for a dropout to not be treated with the same filtering as a true value).
just something to be aware of.

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Jetta Cluster

Scan Gauge

Below: These descriptions are as of now, 6/15/2020

Top, left to right: EGT/Coolant combo, Turbo, Oil Temp
Bottom, left to right: Cooling system pressure, Vacuum, Volts, Oil pressure

hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

What kind of sending unit for water pressure gauge- mechanical or electric? There is a bad glare in your picture, what's the pressure range of the gauge? Do you have a link to it?

Hans
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Heres a look at the speedhut gauges I have on my Syncro. The cluster was modified by northwesty to fit the 3 gauges.

1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

livethevanlife wrote:
Heres a look at the speedhut gauges I have on my Syncro. The cluster was modified by northwesty to fit the 3 gauges.

I think I replied to your post of that shot, hopefully SpeedHut gets back to one of us Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: