Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe-henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Transmission Question Reply with quote

Previously, I wrote about some of my woes with my 1980 westy and many of you responded (Thanks!). As it turns out all of the noise I was hearing was in fact coming from my transmission.

I took a buddy out with the van for a diagnostic run and after leaving the neighborhood the transmission lost her mind. Taking her out of second gear and into third was dramatic to say the least. There was no 3rd or 4th gear at all. The typical placement for those gears were empty space. Nothing at all could be felt in those positions. So, I put her in second and heard a terrible noise (grinding). The only gear I had left was first. I limped home!

So, my question to you guys and I am sure there are some older topics on this matter (I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for), is this where is the best place to purchase a transmission? Are there new ones available or only rebuilt. I know nothing about transmissions so rebuilding myself may be out of the question. I live in Alaska so, shipping is somewhat of an issue.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*IF* you found a new transmission it would be VERY expensive. There are places that rebuild them. You, most likely, experienced the 3/4 slider breakage that is so so common. I do not know how much damage you have now. I know when we tried to take a badly broken one apart with the factory tools, it was so meesed up that it would not hardly come apart!

I am sure others will chime in as to who does good work. There are a few places the Vanagon / Bus places use to do their rebuilding. Find the place the actually does the work and consult with them.

Don't bother with a used one, it will need fixing most likely too.

Good Luck...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-Henry,

Echo on the used. Good money after bad. Be sure it is not just linkage.

Your closest qualified rebuilder may be in Vancouver or Seattle, but for what its worth, I got mine from GoWesty!. Great service, and well shipped. Not cheap, but I have no worries.

Do the clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and machine the flywheel at the same time, and you are good for posterity.

Skaal,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a rebuilt one about a year ago from Bugtrans (aka "Stuff" transaxles). Found the best deal there balancing price and warranty. I've been entirely satisfied with about 12k miles on it. I was facing my second imminent 3-4 slider failure after putting in a cheap used box after the original died. He got a freeway flyer sent out right quick. I got to pick my top gear ratio, at little extra cost. There's other 3rds and heavier diffs, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the URL for the Bugtrans place?

I understand this is a good place: http://www.aatransaxle.com

There is a place in Sebastopol (sp?) CA that is recommended too, I just don't know the URL for them.

Anybody else???

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bugtrans.com/transaxles1.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Question Reply with quote

joe-henry wrote:
So, my question to you guys and I am sure there are some older topics on this matter (I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for), is this where is the best place to purchase a transmission? Are there new ones available or only rebuilt. I know nothing about transmissions so rebuilding myself may be out of the question. I live in Alaska so, shipping is somewhat of an issue.

Daryl Christensen at aatransaxle.com is a well known Vanagon transmission expert. His prices are quite reasonable. Local shops in my area also order rebuilt trannies from German Transaxle from Bend, Oregon. For the money I'd go with Daryl. Typical rebuild is $995 assuming the ring and pinion are good etc.

BenT
[url]vanagoncafe.info[/url]
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
There is a place in Sebastopol (sp?) CA that is recommended too, I just don't know the URL for them.

It is Long Enterprises and all they do is sell trans related items. Lots and lots of trans parts. A great find for someone needing parts. But, no repair work, it seems. But you can get EVERYTHING you need to do it yourself, if you are so inclined.

Next box I do, with my brother and his special tools, will use some of their parts I bet:

http://www.longenterprises.com/

joe-henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies thus far! This really helps in time of need. I've got a lot to read and a big hole to throw my money in. Thanks again.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I understand this is a good place: http://www.aatransaxle.com

I'll third the endorsement for Daryl at AA Transaxle. He's just across the valley from me, just outside of Seattle. He's a really nice guy to boot.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuild my own. I've rebuilt manual transmissions since I was a crazy 16 year old and broke them.
BUT! Vanagon trannies are quite difficult and require several special tools to do a good job. (Oddly enough, a 911 Porsche is much easier!)
I'd recommend Darryl at AA transmission for anyone in the western half of the US.
Dennis Haynes on the east coast.
Both are gentlemen and scholars. Check with Darryl. It might make more sense to buy a core than to ship a junk one from Alaska.
091's don't often have the 3-4 slider problem that later 83 up 091/1's and 094's do.
but yours has something bad wrong with it. sounds like the front mainshaft bearing went bad and tore out 3rd and 4th gears because the shafts spread apart.
When you hear a bad noise coming from the tranny, it's a good idea to stop. It never heals itself.
BTW, a 091 with the bellhousing removed will fit in a 25"x 15"x15" box and weigh about 80lb. Find Fedex Ground.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Greyhound too for shipping.....very inexpensive.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: