Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW bus kit car
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: VW bus kit car Reply with quote

HI,

Anyone thought about making barndoor Samba kit cars? Meaning, make them from scratch (maybe rustfree metal or aluminum), and have all IRS and goodies like a modern van.
Would probably be expensive, but cool (maybe start a new fasion??)

Just a side thought....

Thanx!
felix ehrhardt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

when I look at the prices I think the same and wonder why nobody does them.
But than you only got a repro and who wants that ???

I think it`s way cooler to search,search more search deeper wait search and search again and restore and saerch parts... Wink
You even can update such an old lady with Irs,good brakes and so on.

I like them old.

Luckily a panel-fan,Felix

56 from a good friend of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUGXvk8_tw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Felix.
But, think how many people would want a barndoor deluxe in NEW condtion. Built 100% like the old ones. And, maybe pay a lot less.....
Take Andy Carrolls....£55k is a lot of money.....and its such a cool bus! There are probably a lot of people wanting a car like that, and would buy one if it cost £15k.....
I would....

felix ehrhardt wrote:
Hi,

when I look at the prices I think the same and wonder why nobody does them.
But than you only got a repro and who wants that ???

I think it`s way cooler to search,search more search deeper wait search and search again and restore and saerch parts... Wink
You even can update such an old lady with Irs,good brakes and so on.

I like them old.

Luckily a panel-fan,Felix

56 from a good friend of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUGXvk8_tw
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave, there is a guy in south america who is proposing to do exactly this, i believe he needs his first buyer though. i suspect the number you quoted above would be very do-able. i believe they would be fairly popular if well made. someone just needs to get the ball rolling. search the forums for "gerson", he has a website you'll find as well. i believe it's www.klassicfab.com
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
dave, there is a guy in south america who is proposing to do exactly this, i believe he needs his first buyer though. i suspect the number you quoted above would be very do-able. i believe they would be fairly popular if well made. someone just needs to get the ball rolling. search the forums for "gerson", he has a website you'll find as well. i believe it's www.klassicfab.com

I would buy a kit car, but i already have a bus...
I am thinking for the poor student souls that dont have a car...
They make Shelby Cobra kit cars.....so why not barndoor deluxe kit cars? They certainly would sell a lot better i think....
Again, just a thought....
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelarue wrote:
dieselnut wrote:

They make Shelby Cobra kit cars.....so why not barndoor deluxe kit cars? They certainly would sell a lot better i think....

Oh, I thought you were talking about a reproduction barndoor bus, I didn't realize you meant a barndoor kit car... Confused

I'm not sure I understand the difference, but I think what you're saying is you'd pay 15K to do the work yourself, and the underside would not appear BD. What Gerson is offering is the finished product, topside and bottom, for the same money. To each there own I guess.

Can poor student souls really afford 15K in the UK for a ride?
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
davelarue wrote:
dieselnut wrote:

Oh, I thought you were talking about a reproduction barndoor bus, I didn't realize you meant a barndoor kit car... Confused

I'm not sure I understand the difference, but I think what you're saying is you'd pay 15K to do the work yourself, and the underside would not appear BD. What Gerson is offering is the finished product, topside and bottom, for the same money. To each there own I guess.

Can poor student souls really afford 15K in the UK for a ride?

Yeah, i meant reproduction barndoor busses. A complete turn key car. I think that would be cool. So, Gerson, is he making reproduction Samba barndoors? Cool! Wonder how much he wants for one...
BUS_AV8TOR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Idea !! I'd buy a body if it wasn't to expensive. I think they would have to be shipped in as replacement body shells to avoid alot of EPA and NHTSA red tape. I think VW would be the hardest thing they would have to deal with doing it that way. I know GM filed several lawsuits over the reperduction camaro bodys but they ended up working a licensing deal with GM. Think how nice it would be to start out with a nice straight rustfree barndoor shell

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Bus
66 Bug
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think $50k is way to much for an old bus. Like just some years ago you could buy them for nothing...
I personally like the idea... Would be cool if someone like Gerson would make one for around $15k. People would line up to buy them. Would be big business.
I know just about 50 people in my SMALL hometown who wants a bd samba badly....
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to start offering the Colombian BDs that I have in my shop as "custom" vehicles, they are BEAT to shit, so I really see no sense in restoring these vehicles to original condition, once they are done, they are not really original anyway, 70 to 80% of the metal has been replaced. The plan is to offer, for example a 53 standard with every option that VW could have offered at the time:
Behr scoop or 2 ambulance air intakes
Roof rack
Safari windows
walkthrough
Double door
Double flipper middle seat
Rear opening hatch
Double side mirrors
The correct belly pans will be installed, etc. Other model BDs will be available, 23 window deluxes, 15 window deluxes, sunroof standards, BD double cabs, just like the "lost" Binz,(based on a BD single). We are thinking that if there is enough interest, we might start making the complete cars from scratch, this way you can order the vehicle with the options that you want, or fully stock shells. Of course these are just plans, I need feedback from people, and I need to see if there is enough interest for this to happen, we are looking for a "launch" customer now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson wrote:
I am going to start offering the Colombian BDs that I have in my shop as "custom" vehicles, they are BEAT to shit, so I really see no sense in restoring these vehicles to original condition, once they are done, they are not really original anyway, 70 to 80% of the metal has been replaced. The plan is to offer, for example a 53 standard with every option that VW could have offered at the time:
Roof rack
Safari windows
walkthrough
Double door
Rear opening hatch
Double side mirrors
The correct belly pans will be installed, etc. Other model BDs will be available, 23 window deluxes, 15 window deluxes, sunroof standards, BD double cabs, just like the "lost" Binz,(based on a BD single). We are thinking that if there is enough interest, we might start making the complete cars from scratch, this way you can order the vehicle with the options that you want, or fully stock shells. Of course these are just plans, I need feedback from people, and I need to see if there is enough interest for this to happen, we are looking for a "launch" customer now.

This sounds great! Shoot, if i lived in the states right now i would be all for it! How much would a turn key barndoor 23w cost?
So am i understanding this correctly? You are modifying beat up barndoors (junk panelvans, etc) to "new" whatever the customer wants (like a samba)?
If you are in the 15k range for a samba, i might be your launch custmer....
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a BD deluxe I will start with a type 22(standard), we would build a complete new chassis, new A,B,C and rear pillars, new cargo doors from the waist down, or new from zero, new long side, and short side panels, new cargo floors with seat supports, new front floors, clean, used front doors, new decklid, we would then modify the roof(add the samba roof sections, and sunroof hole), add the rear most windows, and the corner windows, new deluxe dash, etc.etc.etc. The "factory" options are up to you IE. safaris, Behr scoop, roofrack, double doors, walktru, and anything else you can think of. The car will keep it's body number, factory VIN plate, and the VIN number on the engine bay tin, this way the paperwork will not be an issue, the car will leave Colombia as a regular type 22, and can be registered anywhere in the world as a type 22, no paperwork hassles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerson, have you thought about offering a way to discern a 'repro' bd (ie a kombi that is converted into a 23w) from a factory bd?
i think this would be a concern amongst current (& future) bd owners.
felix ehrhardt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the pic in a book where a bd panel is picured with:

-deluxe dash ! yes that was an option...
-walk trough
-turning seats

Quote:
double cabs, just like the "lost" Binz,(based on a BD single).

Hmmmh I know where a orig. bd double cab is Smile
A friend of mine from germany sold it to a netherland for about 2 weeks !
I told to him that some day he will hurt himself for this.Sadly I don`t have any pics, maybe in some weeks I will get some.It was in a very bad condition cause it stood in a wood for more than 20 years and many things were rotted away.

Let the good times roll,Felix
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this whole thing takes off, I will be announcing this, I will make it known to the whole type 2 community. I really would like to do "modified" BD buses instead of "stock" BD buses, this way there is no question of where the bus came from, in other words, you will be able to tell right off, that the BD you are looking at is a Klassicfab built BD.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelarue wrote:
Gerson wrote:
Roof rack
Safari windows
walkthrough
Double door
Rear opening hatch
Double side mirrors

This sounds great! Shoot, if i lived in the states right now i would be all for it! How much would a turn key barndoor 23w cost?
So am i understanding this correctly? You are modifying beat up barndoors (junk panelvans, etc) to "new" whatever the customer wants (like a samba)?
If you are in the 15k range for a samba, i might be your launch custmer....

Use the search key Dave, if you're interested enough to spend 15K you should be motivated enough to so some homework yourself. This has all been discussed before. You initially stated 15K uk, then went down to 15k us, I think you're dreaming at the lower price. Perhaps some of the poor students in the UK will step up however. Good luck!
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
gerson, have you thought about offering a way to discern a 'repro' bd (ie a kombi that is converted into a 23w) from a factory bd?

How do you tell now? How many would you guess are floating around out there?
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
RockStock wrote:

How do you tell now? How many would you guess are floating around out there?

well, i now know of one that is not what it seems to be!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187528&start=0

oh, and this one
20-111782

http://www.barndoor.dk/Gallery55_3a.html

any more?
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more for sure but it's not for me to say. Not that I've got much of a knowledge base on it anyway. Simply digging through the samba archives would reveal more however, for starters.

But in the end, who's to say what is fake? That's a tough one for everybody to agree on... There's a similar thread in the split bug forums in regards to pans. That's kind of what I was getting at w/ my above comment.

This practice is widespread throughout the old car world. Ever wonder why ~half the heb's are missing there heb tags/body numbers? Or why pre '62 15 windows appear so infrequently?

A thread on fake BD deluxes would make for an interesting thread though! Laughing
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
There's a similar thread in the split bug forums in regards to pans

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194452&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
gotta have the og chassis...

dieselnut wrote:
A thread on fake BD deluxes would make for an interesting thread though

hell yeah. i say bring them out into the open!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: