Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Always wanted a Ghia, found a project
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Always wanted a Ghia, found a project Reply with quote

I am very new to VW's and I've always wanted a Ghia, and I've found a pretty good 1970 with minimal rust but without an engine for $400, and a pos '74 super Beetle with a decent duel port engine for about $300.

Could it be worth my while to get the Ghia, and Beetle, stick the engine in the Ghia, and dump the beetle? Would it be a direct swap? And what, if any, were differences between the engines that the Ghia and Beetle had?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Always wanted a Ghia, found a project Reply with quote

noexit wrote:

Could it be worth my while to get the Ghia, and Beetle, stick the engine in the Ghia, and dump the beetle?

yes

Quote:
Would it be a direct swap?

yes

Quote:
And what, if any, were differences between the engines that the Ghia and Beetle had?

Ghias and beetles shared the same engines. Not certain of any significant diffs between the 74 engine and the 70 engine.
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. The motor swap from a Beetle to a Ghia is a straight swap. And the Ghia is way cooler than the bug. At least I think so. Plus you can recoup some of the $$$ by selling the Beetle. Sounds like a good deal to me! And welcome to Ghia ownership and the group here. Great place to shop and learn. Smile

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a Ghia air cleaner assembly, as I don't think the Beetle's will fit.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Always wanted a Ghia, found a project Reply with quote

noexit wrote:
I am very new to VW's and I've always wanted a Ghia, and I've found a pretty good 1970 with minimal rust but without an engine for $400, and a pos '74 super Beetle with a decent duel port engine for about $300.

Could it be worth my while to get the Ghia, and Beetle, stick the engine in the Ghia, and dump the beetle? Would it be a direct swap? And what, if any, were differences between the engines that the Ghia and Beetle had?

Read this.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Always wanted a Ghia, found a project Reply with quote

noexit wrote:

Dump the beetle? So sad... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would switch out the trans too. I believe a 74 had the "freeway flyer" trans.
BlackGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"minimal rust"
I remember thinking the same thing when I bought my car!

I would have a look on the net for where to typical check for rust on Ghias.
Check the wheel wells, check the rockers...get out a screwdriver and dig under the carpet a bit. Check for the torsion bar covers. Ask the owner to stomp his foot on the floor behind the seats (I can tell you a sad humourous story....same year car, from same similar wettish weather)
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Always wanted a Ghia, found a project Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
Dump the beetle? So sad... Crying or Very sad

I didn't mean dump really, just sell the leftovers. It has two good front seats, and the dash and instruments are good, but it's missing the back seat , the rear skirt and the front driver's fender is in really bad shape, and overall, it looks pretty rough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't make my move fast enough, it was sold to someone else... Sad

edit: Wrote too soon. I couldn't find the ad again, so I thought it must have been bought, but Ghia was spelled Ghai, so my search didn't show it. Maybe that will help me get it before anyone else!
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, never got a response from on the last Ghia. People on craigslist can be flakes.

I've found another possibility. Says it really needs a front axle beam. What is involved in putting a new one it? Is it serious?
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is the beam for the Ghia and Beetle the same?
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noexit wrote:
Also, is the beam for the Ghia and Beetle the same?

Yes, read the FAQ at top, it will answer most of your questions. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: