Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
would it make sense to mount the cargo box up front over the tongue as opposed to the rear for weight distribution?

Yes... definitely... I'd put the box near the tongue... unless you plan to put something heavier than the bicycle.. like a motorcycle...

the rule of thumb is the heaviest load near the tongue... on the other way around you will run the risk of the trailer will lift your rear wheels up and you will lose traction...

btw. I like your hitch set up a lot... where you do get that? or home made?

Homemade. I basically poached the design from the commonly available tow loop mounted hitches. Those always sketched me out where they mounted, plus the receiver was too low for me.
I used 1/4" tube steel with 1/4" plates welded on the ends. I welded 4 grade 8 nuts to the plates. I bolted it with 4 grade 8 bolts to the tow mounts. Welded on a 2" receiver, gusseted that with tow hook holes. I notched the stock chrome bumper for the receiver access. Ezy pzy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Nicely done and very clever... thanks for the pics...
RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Happy Earth Day Sambanistas.

Anyone have this set up? What is your experience or opinion? It looks well designed. Also sold at Gowesty.

https://www.sportsrig.com/sportsrig-trailer

I would like a small trailer for a SUP, sit on top kayak and possibly 2-4 bikes.

thanks in advance.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

With regards to the sports rig trailer it seems like you could get more bang for your buck with a folding utility trailer or a boat trailer. For example an Ez-loader trailer would give you a galvanized frame and wheels. Just ditch the bunks and go crazy mounting racks and accessories to it. Size the tongue up to for the length of you SUPs and cut the extra off with a hacksaw. http://www.ezloader.com/adjustable/trailers/page/36/bunk Check out a 12 or 14' model. At one point I think they had a 12' trailer they would ship. If you are looking for the smallest storage foot print the sports rid would be tough to beat. I'd definitely get a spare tire and extra set of bearings for the sports rig because it looks like non-standard stuff. Boat and utility trailer tires, wheels and bearings can be found at many different types of stores like Walmart, Napa, FLAPS, outdoor stores and marine stores. This is a good think if you have a problem on a trip.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

This is a tough one. I've been looking for quite awhile for a different setup than our motorcycle trailer. I'd like something that is lightweight, can take a canoe or RTT, and have weatherproof storage underneath the boat. Ideally we could take it with our Westy for a second tent for kids, or have a complete tent setup for our Tacoma that would provide all the needed hauling.

The Sportsrig is great, but WAY too much money. Not saying a specialty design like that isn't worth it, but just not in the cards for us. Still looking for another off-the-shelf solution.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

RCWesty wrote:
Happy Earth Day Sambanistas.

Anyone have this set up? What is your experience or opinion? It looks well designed. Also sold at Gowesty.

https://www.sportsrig.com/sportsrig-trailer

I would like a small trailer for a SUP, sit on top kayak and possibly 2-4 bikes.

thanks in advance.

Those are Yakima trailers, look for them on Google search to find a better price or used on craigslist.
https://www.yakima.com/rackandroll-78-trailer

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

OMG that is crazy expensive.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Fox Mulder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Some more pictures....wiring left to go.

LEDs are floods for lighting up the campsite. I will have a 12v supply from the aux battery.

Any other ideas? Blue Seas 12v outlet or USB port?

Halifaxwesty- I seriously decided to finally join this forum instead of lurking, just so I could ask you what this trailer is! Can you help a brother out? I really love the your trailer!

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: