Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
there's a movie about a guy who wants to be an astronaut, went thru surgery to be qualified, cheat etc... in the movie he drives an Citroen DS... I forgot the name of the movie..

Sounds like "Gattaca."
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Just scored this little fella on Kijiji....

1985 HP 350

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks to me like you need a little time tidying up that garage... Wink
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

This is day 3. The summer was unkind.

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
Halifaxwesty wrote:
Just scored this little fella on Kijiji....

1985 HP 350

Looks to me like you need a little time tidying up that garage... Wink

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

I was just in Germany during Oct., last month.
These people are trailer towing enthusiasts! It seemed like half the cars had one behind them and it was October, not exactly the height of the summer season!
I did not get any decent pictures unfortunately and I did see some nice ones.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Here is mine:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458571&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Some more pictures....wiring left to go.

LEDs are floods for lighting up the campsite. I will have a 12v supply from the aux battery.

Any other ideas? Blue Seas 12v outlet or USB port?

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

This is my trailer, although since this photo it has had all lights upgraded to LED as well as the crappy house paint removed. It is a rental trailer from a company called Jartran (at the time, in competition with Uhaul) which went under in 1986. It is 4X6, all aluminum construction built by Fruehauf. Its light and tows so nice. I hunted for this thing for like 5 years. Its hard to find a quality commercial built trailer.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
This is my trailer, although since this photo it has had all lights upgraded to LED as well as the crappy house paint removed. It is a rental trailer from a company called Jartran (at the time, in competition with Uhaul) which went under in 1986. It is 4X6, all aluminum construction built by Fruehauf. Its light and tows so nice. I hunted for this thing for like 5 years. Its hard to find a quality commercial built trailer.

Nice! What are the dimensions and weight of that little cutie?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Here's a better shot of my Letsgoaero off-road trailer. Clamshell lids which can be removed, 275# empty with a 25# tongue weight, hauls up to 700 lbs. 13 inch wheels on rubber mounted suspension. I mainly use it to haul road racing bikes around the country either behind the Vanagon or the Outback. You don't really feel it back there unless going up a steep hill 😀

'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
southernscouse65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

hi new to this site looking at halifaxwesty pic seems my trailer is very similar painted it to match the van a few years ago but still looks ok it has a name plate saying it was made west germany
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

southernscouse65 wrote:

hi new to this site looking at halifaxwesty pic seems my trailer is very similar painted it to match the van a few years ago but still looks ok it has a name plate saying it was made west germany

Wow... Super nice Gipsy!
Cool trailer, and even the trailer wheels matches the Gipsy wheels, only smaller!
Your Gipsy is right hand drive, and the camper set up too! Thats very rare!

Thanks for posting pics in thesamba gallery.
You should start your own thread for the Gipsy...
Cool Cool Cool
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

I actually don't have one of these. And, I can not vouch/comment/critique them. And, I know the thread is for posting my own pics - which I don't have.

But, these look like are worth checking out? Maybe there is another thread for an inventory of trailer options.

http://www.spacetrailers.com/
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

I really am interested in this thread. I am currently considering rehabing an older thule rocket box and mounting it to a very lightweight utility trailer. Question for all. Pros cons of swapping my usual camping gear load from inside the van (as well as using a cargo box on a rear hitch) to a small lightweight trailer like being used in this thread. Anything gained by removing the excess weight (say 200#s) from van to a trailer? Or will pulling a trailer now tax the van in other ways? Basically, Im not looking to add any additional weight by going with a small trailer (other than the trailer weight), Im looking to remove the gear from inside the van and hanging off the rear of the van. So wondering if the trailer option is a gain in anyways like mpg, performance, safety etc... im running a stock 2.1 in the mountains
What says you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

@candyman

Me too I am debating to get a lightweight trailer (I have 2.1WBX) here something to consider

- added the weight of the trailer
- spare wheel for the trailer
- place to store when not in use

- reduce clutter in the van
- leave all the stuffs in the trailer at campsite and have the van to go for a day trip around
- no need to pack and repack the stuff in the van every time you go camping

https://www.sylvansport.com/go/

http://www.alumaklm.com/enclosed/single-axle/ae46-all-purpose-enclosed-trailer
- reduce strain on suspension components.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

^^^ That's a good list of pros and cons.

I'd add that parking becomes much Less convenient. That plus storage are barriers to the benefits of trailers for my situation.

I do like seeing all the ideas.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

yes, yes... I agree.. parking ... specially parallel parking is a skill which some have it and some don't...

I know how to do it but when I am too tired I just unhook the trailer and walk it around...

Very Happy
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

I don't have one, and haven't seen one in person, but this one looks appealing: light, versatile, folds for storage. About the same price as others I have seen online.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24510
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Yep, the ability to leave the trailer at a campsite, locked and hobbled, with bikes inside was the reason I went with my trailer design. Not only that but out of the weather and away from prying eyes on the road. I actually went into a parking deck at the St Louis monument last summer and when I found 2 spots together just unhitched the trailer, locked it up and went sightseeing.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Ok,
So here is a mock up of what im thinking. Trailer is bigger than what I would ultimatley like, 5'x8' weighs close to 200#s im guessing. Its pretty light, aluminum frame, steel boxed. Anyways, i own it so it's free at this point. I also have this sears excargo box that has been sitting in my attic for 15 years, so also free. Here is the basic layout, can probaly mount 3 bikes comfortably and have center storage for spare water or fuel, wood etc...

question: would it make sense to mount the cargo box up fron over the tongue as opposed to the rear for weight distribution? I like it in the rear for ease of access but not married to that idea.

This trailer idea would trump (hate that word now) my current set up which is a cargo hitch that holds a plastic bin. It makes it awkward to also mount bikes etc... plus the bin does not hold all camping stuff so there is spill over into the van which I dont like.

So in theory Im not carrying much more weight say maybe 200#s for trailer. Everything else we usually bring with us. How do you suppose the van will handle pulling as opposed to hauling? Now i would be pulling something that is on wheels as opposed to hanging everything off and in the van. 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of the other? Mostly concerned about tranny temps since its a syncro and of course brakes.

Thanks all

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trailer Setup? Post your pics! Reply with quote

Quote:
would it make sense to mount the cargo box up front over the tongue as opposed to the rear for weight distribution?

Yes... definitely... I'd put the box near the tongue... unless you plan to put something heavier than the bicycle.. like a motorcycle...

the rule of thumb is the heaviest load near the tongue... on the other way around you will run the risk of the trailer will lift your rear wheels up and you will lose traction...

btw. I like your hitch set up a lot... where you do get that? or home made?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: