Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing brake pedal spring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG spring on the left, New Wolfsburg West spring on the right:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ian wrote:
you have to bend them real hard, your old spring has lost tension and is stuck in a worn out position.

spring looks right, hook is the right way

i have installed 3 of the WW ones and a couple of the "cheap" ones, they all seem to be fine

I tried to get the WW spring in there but it really seems that bend is incomplete, it was too difficult to get the spring between the frame cross-member and the pedal stop. How were you able to compress the spring long enough to get the pedal lever in place?

peterxxl wrote:
Report:

I guess you're more lucky than I am. I investigated today my spring and tried to mount it. It's not possible, but mine is different than yours. It's flipped, like in the mirror. The hook is on the other side that original. I guess the Bays have the pedal connected from the other side.

I can send you a Wolfsburg West spring, the one seen in the photos. You'll have to use Ian's method of getting it to fit or bend it to look like the stock one. PM me an address and I'll send you the spring. Not sure how long it would take to get to Mexico from here but I can send it out tomorrow.

hazetguy wrote:

unless that spring (on the left in the pic above) is actually broken, if you install it properly, there will be plenty of tension for it to return the pedal for a long time.
i have had genuine VW NOS springs, with VW stickers still on them (VW paper stickers, not the vwoa dealership stickers) and they looked like the spring on the left (in the pic above, on the right below).
in the above pic, the spring on the right looks like a poorly made repro, or perhaps a (repro of a ?) bay window spring.

broken spring on left, original spring on right

Thanks for pointing this out hazetguy, my OG spring is in good shape and the return is snappy enough. I wasn't sure what was going on and why it was so tough to get the WW spring to fit. I'll call WW tomorrow and let them know. Thanks again for sorting that out.
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant seem to install mine correctly?? Its either to tight "bolt not the spirng" that it doesnt return the pedal,, or to loose that the nut is half way on. A few times the spring angles the pedal causing it to rub against the side of the steering box mount. Its a og spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an email from WW about their experience installing their own return spring, here it is:

Wolfsburg West wrote:
So I was able to get the spring to go on, as you can see in the photos. We don't like the way it fits, so we will be fixing the part. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We'll keep you posted once we have the new production spring available.

Good to see that the problem will be fixed shortly.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Duz It wrote:
I cant seem to install mine correctly?? Its either to tight "bolt not the spirng" that it doesnt return the pedal,, or to loose that the nut is half way on. A few times the spring angles the pedal causing it to rub against the side of the steering box mount. Its a og spring.

Can you post pics of what is causing the problem? If you are using an OG spring, make sure it is located like the one in hazetyguy's photo:

drumming123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please confirm the orientation of these pieces? I took the brake pedal off so long ago and can't remember which pieces go where (except the snap ring and washer).

I looked in the obsolete documentation, but couldn't make out the image very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger/better image

Not totally sure as I haven't had it apart in a while but 34/35 are on the left side of the frame member.

So it should be 35/34/Frame/31/23/11(Pedal)/32/33 ?

These are the parts from the assembly, as posted by hazetguy

Maybe this helps too

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drumming123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Everett. Just what I needed.

Can you tell what the 2nd item from the left in my picture is from?

It's a thick, stepped washer, I had it in the ziplock bag with the other brake components. Maybe I just slipped it in there on accident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like you have two different brake spring seats (#31).

I took the pedal assembly apart on my 66 to do a box raise and noticed I didn't have a spring seat (stepped washer) so I ordered one from Campingbox. I didn't end up using it because I couldn't reassemble the pedal as long as it was in there. It kept wanting to "crush" the spring seat up against the frame and bind the pedal. I left it out and put it back together as it was before. Problem solved.

Good luck. Be sure to post pics.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadnotmusic wrote:
It looks to me like you have two different brake spring seats (#31).

That was my thought too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popping an older thread to say:
I recently ordered a Wolfsburg West Bus brake spring and it now matches the originals pictured in this thread.
justinpirie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy the snap ring and washer? Reply with quote

I'm missing my snap ring and washer- does anyone know the dimensions of either or where to buy them?

Is the beetle one the same? http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N124241

What size washer does it take?

Thanks!
nebkv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two version of pedal Confused

images
Maybe black pedal going without part 31 from EverettB picture?
Or have longest part 30?

pic host

free upload pictures
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nebkv wrote:
I have two version of pedal Confused

images
Maybe black pedal going without part 31 from EverettB picture?
Or have longest part 30?

pic host

free upload pictures

It says in the Bentley manual that from September 1964 Chassis No 255026862 that the support tube (211721141) of the brake pedal on all LHD models was lengthened 7mm to improve the location of the return spring. If you use the longer tube version, you do not use the "special washer" 211721235 (#31 I think).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Stupid question but just want to make sure. With no master cylinder or pushrod installed, the brake pedal should always spring back to the "up" position, correct? When you push my pedal, it just stays at the floor. Spring is present, maybe it's cracked though.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Stupid question but just want to make sure. With no master cylinder or pushrod installed, the brake pedal should always spring back to the "up" position, correct? When you push my pedal, it just stays at the floor. Spring is present, maybe it's cracked though.

Yes it should spring up.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

Yes it should spring up.

Thanks Stan, another part for the shopping list.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Stanagon wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

Yes it should spring up.

Or the pivot is just dirty and dry. I pulled both clutch and brake pedals out, cleaned, lubed and reassembled and it was a big difference after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:
Stanagon wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

Yes it should spring up.

Or the pivot is just dirty and dry. I pulled both clutch and brake pedals out, cleaned, lubed and reassembled and it was a big difference after.

The brake spring is really strong, I would suspect it's messed up if it can be held down just by dirt and no grease.

Always a good idea to disassemble and inspect and grease it when you do the spring though.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm going to break it all down, clean and grease and see what's up. My clutch pedal seems a little off too, so maybe this is the case and everything is just dry and dirty.

Does the clutch pedal use the same spring as the brake arm? I think it is the same?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Thanks, I'm going to break it all down, clean and grease and see what's up. My clutch pedal seems a little off too, so maybe this is the case and everything is just dry and dirty.

Does the clutch pedal use the same spring as the brake arm? I think it is the same?

No spring on the clutch pedal, just the spring on the transmission arm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: