Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing brake pedal spring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:
Thanks, I'm going to break it all down, clean and grease and see what's up. My clutch pedal seems a little off too, so maybe this is the case and everything is just dry and dirty.

Does the clutch pedal use the same spring as the brake arm? I think it is the same?

No spring on the clutch pedal, just the spring on the transmission arm

True.

If you are motivated, take the clutch pedal off too and clean and grease all of that too.
Check the clutch pedal linkage and clip up front too, it often has wear from not being greased and needs to be replaced before it snaps at a really bad time.

Thread about the clutch parts up front:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415802
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Removed the brake arm, spring was not broken and was seated properly. Degreased everything with some cleaner and fresh rags, used some very fine scotch pad on the shaft, fresh grease and reassembled. Works perfectly now!

Started the process on the clutch arm, worked some pb blaster into it. Can't quite get it to budge outwards yet. Will try again tomorrow evening, hopefully the pb soak well loosen it more over time.
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

I'm having problems with my brake pedal spring. It doesn't sit in a positions like hazetyguy's here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine slips off that cupped washer and jams in between it and the pedal arm. There is enough axial force to work the snap ring loose.

These are the components. Originally it was missing the washer that goes between the clip and the pedal arm. I made one but didn't show it here. The new WW spring is the upper one in the pic.

I have the cupped washer installed in the orientation that is shown in EverettBs photo:

Any ideas?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

That spring to the right of the pedal looks wrong. It looks like a wrist pin keeper.

IIRC it should be a snap ring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Gotcha. I'll get a regular snap ring.

Can anyone tell me how thick the washer between the brake arm and snap ring is supposed to be?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Snap ring from earlier in the thread:

I don't know the thickness of that washer but yours does look possibly look thinner to me than the ones earlier in this thread.
I'm guessing the wrong snap ring is an issue though.
Unfortunately all my Buses have the pedal pans on right now to check.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. See how the spring sits in the left picture compared to mine on the right? I'm looking for ideas on whats wrong with my setup. My spring isn't centering on the shaft. It's jamming itself between the brake arm and the cupped washer.

I will get a new snap ring, but I am sure that isn't causing the problem. I also machined various thicknesses of washers (the one by the snap ring and nothing helped.

Last night I filed the weld down a bit too to see if the leg of the spring that contacts the frame could fit more in the corner.

Thanks!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

The coiled spring should fit mostly over the cupped washer. Your pick looks like it does not.

Do you have your old spring to compare diameter to?

Maybe some of these will help?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Truck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures!

I checked the diameter and the WW and the stock are identical. The WW is under the stock spring in this picture.

DonVWMiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

A little off topic but this thread gave me a lot of good info including the schematic of the pedal assembly.

My specific question is: “does anyone know the size of the nut for the shaft (part 35)?”

Mine fell off and luckily I didn’t crash...

I’ve tried Metric M12-1.75, M12-1.5 and M12-1.25 but can only just start the nut. Frankly, a Course thread 1/2” SAE works best but I don’t want to damage threads so I thought the Samba “braintrust” might know.

Regardless, this thread has convinced me to take the whole pedal assembly apart, clean it & replace worn parts. Since I’m doing the brake system anyway it only makes sense to do everything from penal to rear shoes & everything in between!
- Don
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

The parts list shows M12X1.5.
DonVWMiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

So I took the bolt out and the threads are trashed so I’m ordering a new one.

New question: my pedal assembly is missing the “stepped” washer (item #31 in the green diagram). I’m not able to find this part at Wolfsburg West so can anyone suggest a parts source for this part. I thought I read they made the bolt 7mm longer and the spacer isn’t needed so maybe what I have is correct?

Thanks my friends...
Don
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

What year is your bus? It looks like part #31 (which is not a spacer but a kind of inside guide seat for the spring's I.D. to glide on) was discontinued after '64. Starting with chassis 215 026 862 it was no longer used. I don't know what substituted for it: maybe the thing is built in to the undercarriage stuff. I have a '65 and '67 but both have pedal pans so I can't see mine right now.

The seat part is 211 721 235. You might be able to cheat the clutch lever return spring one from the transmission but I don't know. It is part 111 141 727.
FreddyWanKenobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Sorry being late to the game but anyone know of any videos or step by step on getting this spring on? It’s becoming a living hell!
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

Quick bump on this thread. My spring broke and I purchased an EMPI replacement but damn if I'm having the hardest time getting this installed. What's the trick or tool that could jam this damn thing in place with enough room for the clip and washer to go on? About the max I can push it in is just enough to put the bolt flush with the pedal. I need a good 3mm left it seems and no matter how hard I push it won't go.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

is the spring suppose to "move" not be under load at any point when brake pedal is not pressed? I can move my spring and it has no tension and im beginning to think something isnt right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
is the spring suppose to "move" not be under load at any point when brake pedal is not pressed? I can move my spring and it has no tension and im beginning to think something isnt right.

It should be under load at every pedal position.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
TheVintageVw wrote:

It should be under load at every pedal position.

Thank you, so yeah mine isnt right.....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing brake pedal spring Reply with quote

What year is that? If it’s ‘65 and earlier it looks like you are missing the “cup” or it’s the wrong spring. Check the parts list for a complete diagram of what you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: