Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unusual 1968~79 VW Type 2 and/or VW 181/182 ignition coil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Unusual 1968~79 VW Type 2 and/or VW 181/182 ignition coil Reply with quote

Hello Volks.

I'm hoping that one or more of you, will enlighten me, about an unusual VW Type 2 and/or VW Type 181/182 (i.e. VW Thing or Trekker, etc) ignition coil and connecting cable, I have in my possession, which are illustrated as Items 2 & 25, on page & frame 94-10, of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2, Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche. I have recently taken a 35 mm format, colour photograph, which I shall have precessed shortly and hopefully post it in The samba Gallery, when and if my local public library's flat-bed scanner, is functioning properly.

The ignition coil (VW part No. 122 905 115 D and Bosch part No. 0 221 107 001), is approximately 170 mm (i.e. 6·7 inches) in total length and 60 mm (i.e. 2·4 inches) in diameter; weighing nearly 1·2 kg (i.e. 2·6 lbs), including the mounting bracket. This is noticeably larger and heavier than all other air-cooled VW, ignition coils, I have come across!

In addition to the VW and Bosch part numbers, it also bares the following markings:

Bosch Made in Germany

030 KMW V12

12V Widerstand Vorschalten

What particularly distinguishes this ignition coil, are the terminal connections, labelled 1, 4 & 15. These are some special kind of screw-fastening, water-proof, gland connection, with internal spring-loaded contacts, for terminals 1 & 15, whilst terminal 4, has an internal co-axial spike, on which to impale the central core of the HT cable.

The connection cable (VW part No. 181 905 721 and Bosch part No. 0 290 320 009), is approximately 275 mm (i.e. 10·8 inches) in total length, with screw-fastening, water-proof gland connections at either end; which would connect the ignition coil, to what looks like some kind of ballast.

The ignition coil and the connection cable, form just a small part of a complete ignition system, which seems to comprise several special components. In the official, 1968~79 VW Type 2, Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche, these are illustrated in the lower half of Page & Frame 94-10 and Items 10, 11 and possibly 25, on page & frame 94. There also appears to have been a special distributor, but is not fully illustrated, merely depicted by a dotted line.

Several years ago, in an issue of the VW Motoring magazine, I noticed that a VW Type 4 industrial engine, used for the independent manouvering unit, of the now obsolete NATO 155 mm artillery howitzer (still used then, by the British territorial Army units), equipped with an ignition coil of this unusual pattern. I would therefore conclude, that it might have been standard equipment, on military versions of the 1968~79 VW Type 2 and VW Type 181, in countries such as Germany, Austria, Switzerland and The Netherlands.

To the best of my knowledge, the ignition coil and connection cable, were supplied to my father in 1975, by Ecta Motors, in Rochford, Essex (the then franchised VW dealership), as a made-up, overseas-touring spares kit, for our then newly acquired, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan. It wasn't until several years later, that we unpackaged the kit and discovered that these particular components, were not appropriate to our vehicle.

Although we had a few breakdowns and other technical hiccups, during our European touring holidays, it was fortunate that we never needed to replace the ignition coil, especially in Hungary or Czechoslovakia, in 1985 and 1987, behind the "Iron Curtain".

If anyone would like these unused, New Old Stock items, I am willing to sell them for a reasonable price or barter for things which I seek.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this?:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Unusual 1968~79 VW Type 2 and/or VW 181/182 ignition coil Reply with quote

Yes Scott.

The ignition system depicted in your picture, illustrating the engine compartment, of what appears to be a military VW Type 181/182, with manual engine-starting handle (a very useful accessory, which I would advocate for all rear-engined VWs, as I have retro-fitted to my 1973 VW Type 2!), is exactly the one to which I refer, as illustrated in the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche, on Page & Frame 94-10; reproduced on Richard Atwell's website, as follows:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t209410.gif

I have the paper Catalogue, which shows just the Page/Frame numbers and the Item numbers, with the line drawings, but does not give the part descriptions or VW part numbers. I do have a copy of the Microfiche, but have yet to source a microfiche viewer, with which to view it!

My ignition coil, has the symmetrical, Omega-shaped attachment bracket, appropriate to the VW 1600 Type 2 & VW 1600 Type 181/182 engines.

Are components for this system still listed as being available from VW or Bosch, or is it now a matter of sourcing unused New Old Stock and second-hand used parts?

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Unusual VW 181/182 or VW type 2 ignition coil Reply with quote

Here's my photograph of the coil and HT lead I have.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=327514

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came.
BusOK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for what type of Baywindow engines where these used on?

chrz
Jeff
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusOK wrote:
So for what type of Baywindow engines where these used on?

chrz
Jeff

Potentially they would have been used on either the VW 1600 Type 2 (VW Type 1 style) or VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 (i.e. Type 4 style) engines.

The following link about which I learned recently, might shed some more light.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+2+syncro/t2/1976-29/9/905-94010/

Item 2 043 905 115 B ignition coil 12V screened

Item 24 181 905 721 line screened

Item 25 181 905 723 line screened

Page 94-10 of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue

My ignition coil (VW part No. 122 905 115 D) has a different part number to Item 2 listed above, but my connection cable (VW part No. 181 905 721) has the same part number as Item 24 above.

Page 94-00 of the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+2+syncro/t2/1976-29/9/905-94000/

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unusual 1968~79 VW Type 2 and/or VW 181/182 ignition coil Reply with quote

Here's another picture which is in the German army manual, featured in The Samba technical archive.

1984 VW Bus German Army Parts Manual

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1984_Bus_German_Army_Manual.php

Shows the special ignition coil that I have

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unusual 1968~79 VW Type 2 and/or VW 181/182 ignition coil Reply with quote

There is an ignition coil of this type, presently listed in the VW 181/182 section of The Samba Classified Advertisements, but the vendor is located in Australia, from which shipping costs are horrendously expensive even for relatively small items.

Bosch Military Vehicle Coil | Price: US$100

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2505153

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: