Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you have a very early bay ? (1967)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

68 westy built on October 16 1967.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

Seems like our doublecab was built in Feb. 1967.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratherb-buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Seems like our doublecab was built in Feb. 1967.

February 1967 isn't possible but February 1968 is. They didn't start 68 production until August of 1967.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

I am very curious about this. Please go to the other thread and see a picture of my M plate. I ran the M plate through the decoder and that is the date that came up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

Time to put some life into this great thread again! Very Happy Applause

- - - - -

Wasted youth wrote:
I am very curious about this. Please go to the other thread and see a picture of my M plate. I ran the M plate through the decoder and that is the date that came up.

Hey wasted youth. I don't know if your problem has already been solved, but i searched through another thread and found that particular photo of your M-Plate..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is very clear to me, that it your double cab was built in February 1968.
Why? First of all - if it was February 1967, then it would be a Split bus.
Baywindow production started in July/August 1967.

Another evidence is your VIN#: 268106615.
It is set together by the first two numbers in the last line of your m-plate and the 7 digits on the very end of the right corner.

First two numbers refer to the type - 26 is a single or double cab.
Third number refers to the model year -1968
All other digits are the VIN: So your vehicle ist the 106.615th bay ever produced. That is another big hint for the production date of February 1968.

In this list (if you scroll down a little bit) - you can see that by
31st of December 1967 - production reached VIN number 218 073 585.
Which means in 1967 - by the end of December a total of 73.585 early bays had been produced.

So your number of 106.615 is clearly a February 1968 build.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

But now let's move on to what i really wanted to write in here. Very Happy

I just did some research about very early bays produced in 1967.
In a german forum i am currently having an discussion about when Baywindow Westfalia (Pop Top) production started.

A guy there claims, that Westfalia Camper production first started in 01.1968 - except for some prototypes.
More details of his argumentation:
He wrote that this is referring to the cut of the sliding sunroof of deluxe buses (Clipper L) which was first available in January 1968. This sunroof cut has the exact same proportions as the gap for the Westfalia pop tent. Thats why they were not able to build an Westfalia pop top bus earlier - except for a few prototypes (Westfalia and also sunroof prototypes)..

I googled, searched for different forums and read through some books and specifications guides. Non of these mentioned knowledge sources could prove his statements.

During my search for the oldest bay i found quite a lot different Westfalia pop-top buses that were already manufactured in 1967. Some of them in October others later.. and others even earlier as it seems:

Like some evidence in this particular thread here claims:
WileyVW wrote:
My 1968 Westy (SO67 interior with tent) was built Sept 8 1967, (early production no firewall) if that is what you mean by 1967 bays Chassis # 8015757

TequestaBay wrote:
Hi guys, I've got a August 22 1967 built Euro westy. What are some other traits of a 67 built bay besides sealed vent windows?
Thanks

Now my question? Is it true - the thing with the prototypes?
I'd say as there was an total amount of 73.585 bays that were built in 1967 (statistics by 31st of December) - there must have been a lot of those prototypes of Sunroof and Westfalia buses within them. What's your opinion?

And can we find the oldest Westfalia bus?
According to a submitted M-Plate on the vw-mplate decoder website, there is also VIN #1979 with the planned production date of August 23th, 1967.

I' love to get in touch with the owner of this car and see photos! Shocked

Cheers,
Alex

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

I thought I had already made a mention of my 68 Double Cab.
Built October 26th, 1967.
A Thursday. In which I hope the boys had a good strong pint after the last whistle. You boys did damn good.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I thought I had already made a mention of my 68 Double Cab.
Built October 26th, 1967.

Hi Sam!
During my (one week old) search for the oldest bay - i collected quite a few 1967-built buses. One of them shares your build date of 26th of October.
It is a window bus in the Netherlands. I already mailed him, trying to get to know his VIN.
It would be interesting how far both of your cars VINs are apart.

And i can't agree more with the rest of your comment Applause
SamboSamba22 wrote:
hope the boys had a good strong pint after the last whistle. You boys did damn good.

Sam

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have a very early bay ? (1967) Reply with quote

My last post here was in the end of July 2020 - and a couple of days later i had lots of new info about the very early bays (1967 built ones) - so i wrote everything down and published it on my website.
Now, almost 2 years later again, i just noticed that i didn't even post my discoveries here!

Just to give you a short appetizer: i managed to contact a guy in Germany who already worked at VW back in 1967 and who could give me some insights on how the first big model change (regarding buses) happened back then. Also i contacted the owners of some very early bays (VIN numbers 38 and 67 !!!) and of course i also compared lots of numbers (planned productions dates vs. actual dates of build) which let me discover that there were big problems, VW was behind the schedule and if that wasn't bad enough factory holidays were yet to come..

If you are interested, please click on the links below and have a read:

••••••••••

Further info - research about:
Summer 1967 - End of split bus production / start of early bay bus production: (written in August 2020)

Link to the topic introduction:
https://austrosplit.com/en/research-vintage-vw/1967-earlybay-production/

And below are all 5 subpages of course also linked and in chronologically written order:

Best greets from Austria,
Alex

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: