Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Pan Progress - Build Updates
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Floor Pan Progress - Build Updates Reply with quote

So, here is what I have so far. I used 1x2 inch tubing around the outside and 2mm sheet for the floor. I also put a piece of tube through the tunnel from one side to the other. Thought it would give some extra strength. The next step is to get the rear end put back together then the front end then ......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Free_Buggy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dirtydeedss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good but the picas are pretty small
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtydeedss wrote:
looks good but the picas are pretty small

fixed

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like what I did with my buggy.[img]
[/img] 1 x 2 tube 14ga. floors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iawo Mark, Did you remove the mechanical hand brake and install a line lock? It looks nice and clean. I like it!
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Buggy wrote:
Iawo Mark, Did you remove the mechanical hand brake and install a line lock? It looks nice and clean. I like it!

Yes, I did. There was a bunch of relocating going on and no room for the e-brake set up. Here it is when the body is installed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kelroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Windshield Frame Reply with quote

Looking Good Freebuggy . Iowa Mark is that a Berry Body you have?
Iowa Mark Can you tell me where the Windshield frame came from? Also Do you have any pics. on how the windshield mounts on the inside of the body? I have a Berry Mini T IV and I am in the middle of restoring it .

Thank You in advance
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The welded in nuts are a nice touch. I love it.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Frame Reply with quote

kelroy wrote:
Looking Good Freebuggy . Iowa Mark is that a Berry Body you have?
Iowa Mark Can you tell me where the Windshield frame came from? Also Do you have any pics. on how the windshield mounts on the inside of the body? I have a Berry Mini T IV and I am in the middle of restoring it .

Thank You in advance

The windshield frame is one I built from mild steel, because body didn't come with one. It has a 3/4" square tube sandwiched between 14ga. plates that give the shape. There is a 1" reciever tube glassed into the body that the 3/4 slides into. There are also bolts welded into the lower curve that drop through the fiberglass and are washered and nutted under the cowel. The whole thing is a big U channel and the glass is black siliconed in (hope I never crack the glass, it will be a B-tch to replace!) The body is an old Mini T that I got off e-bay, and it sure looked a lot better in the pictures than when I went to get it. I should show you how I am trying to keep the shock towers away from the fenders.....

Genom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, what is that "item" on the top torsion arm? A torsion spring replacement? Looks like the front end rides nice and low, and if you've replaced the spring with a threaded bar of some sort, it should ride soft as well.

Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, sorry to Free Buggy for hi-jacking his thread.

As to the front end: The top leaves are gone and have been replaced with a 5/8" fine threaded rod. There is a ny-lock on either end, carefully measured to just touch the inside if the trailing arm with everything in place. On the outside is a delrin washer and a steel washer, then another ny-lock leaving just enough play to allow movement. The thing is even lower because I cut and turned the beam also. The front of this buggy is super light (not even the gas tank is up front) and still a stiff ride, thanks to those KYB shocks. When I tear it apart to paint, I'm going back to lowered oil shocks and reweld the beam a little higher. Flip the tie rods and stick another caster shim in. The car is waaaaayyyyy twitchy at speed. I'm surprized nobody noticed that it's a king pin beam running ball joint shocks. Very Happy
kelroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the Hijacking Free Bug. Iowa Mark mine is LP front the original builder cut off and boxed shock tower from the side used flat bar with a slight bend outward to mount stock shock Thanks for the info on the windshield. could you email some pics of windshield mount? PM me if you want. Free bug I see pans in my future hope I can do as good of as job as you did.
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Still working away at it. Reply with quote

Still working away at it. I have the cage tacked together. Next i will take it apart and finish weld it.

Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Build Update Reply with quote

So, I guess I will start adding pictures as I go now. Trying to get this this thing on the road some time this summer. I pulled the cage off the body yesterday.

Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Longest Build - Uo Date Reply with quote

So, I have been working on my dash. I added the dash grab handle to the passenger side from a 71. It fits the contour of the dash well. It took a bit of work to add some support for it behind the fibreglass. I also fiberglassed some bolts into the back side of the dash and formed a return flange to mount the speedometer. The wiring panel fabrication is not complete...I have to make a bracket for it to attach too when it hinges up out of view. I think that is all I'm doing to the dash...no other gauges or switches. Next step is body filler, high build primer, and wrinkle black finish.

[/img]
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice touch with the surfboard speedo needle.
donmac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does that flip top gas thing work. You weld the nozzle to the tank and then you put the hood on?? Then how do you secure the flip top? Sorry, I just can picture it.

67 Dune Buggy aka Shrek
74 Baja Junk Pile aka Wild Thing
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does that flip top gas thing work. You weld the nozzle to the tank and then you put the hood on?? Then how do you secure the flip top? Sorry, I just can picture it.

There are three very small set screws that tighten down onto the edge of the filler neck just above that flange you see in the one picture. It takes a contortionist to install it because the set screws are below the hood. The filler neck connects with a hose and a couple of hose clamps to the stock location on a 71 fuel tank. I have a quick fill cap from a company called Stant that fits neatly under the flip cap. This cap is a knock off of the flip caps originally used on the old Austin Mini. I also have to fiberglass some sort of gutter under the cap to stop water/gas from leaking onto the passengers feet.

Quote:
Nice touch with the surfboard speedo needle.

Thanks, it's one of the first things I did even before I had the car home in the garage. I have another speedo that is in better shape that I will likely put the surf board on after it is tested. I think I have it balanced well... but you never know how it will affect the speed reading or if the needle will be bouncing all over the place??
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Update - More Dash Work Reply with quote

Welded a bracket to the column to bolt the tachometer to...never liked the look of a hose clamp on these things. I also have a couple of holes in the column to run the wires from the signal switch although I did not run them that way for these pictures. Hope it gives it a clean look.

Had to run the speedometer cable through the lower tube of the dash support. Anyone else run into this issue? I don't think it will be a problem it may cause cables to wear out like crazy because of the bend where it enters the tube at the speedo end. I hooked the cordless drill up to the and it worked fine...guess I'll find out if I ever get to put some miles on this thing.

LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What steering wheel is the one your using out of? Buggy is coming along nicely.

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: