Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine removal question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: engine removal question Reply with quote

so my brother and i were trying to take the engine out of the bus. we unbolted everythiing. and were shimying it off the trans wen the drivers side upper bolt on the trans is making it difficult to take off. That bolt is holding us up and we can't bang it out. the passenger side moves out just enough to the point where we can't go any farther and it just won't come off. how can we pull this thing out? we're so close i can smell it but we can't get that bolt off the top. any help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shagg
Samba Whipping Post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't come out,it's usually a stud that stays. Not to be rude, but you did take the nut(17mm) off of it??? If you have all four off (3 nuts, 1 nut and bolt in the starter, it should come out. They do occasionally bind(clutch,flywheel,etc.) nothing a little "wigglin" wont solve. Be careful when you do get it loose, not to pinch your plug wires between the tin and the body seal... Good luck!!!
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the bolts are are off. its the bolt on the clutch arm side. it doesn't want to come out. we tried wiggleing like crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pause, get under there, and just look. It's obvious, but are you sure you disconnected everything? Heater cable barrel nuts, heater tubes, gas line, accelerator barrel nut?

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shagg
Samba Whipping Post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
all the bolts are are off. its the bolt on the clutch arm side. it doesn't want to come out. we tried wiggleing like crazy.

bolts are off?? the upper left drivers side DOESN'T come off, the stud stays, the nut comes off. I have to agree w/ nugen, double check heater boxes, fuel lines,etc. Another common mistake I have seen is when you put the jack under the motor, DO NOT jack it up too much, as it will cause binding also....the jack should just touch the bottom of the case, no more.
coronamv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropped my engine from my 66 micro and it took about 2 hours. Same issue got it free from bolts and wiring and hoses and it just would not go any farther. My friend got on it and started jerking it and wamo it came free. Now the fun begins should I tear it down all the way or is there a way to know how far is enough to save money?
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper left side of the bell housing has a bolt that goes through it, not a stud. Once the bolt is free of the nut, the engine can be removed without removing the bolt. If yours is jammed in the hole, then someone forced a larger size bolt through the hole. Spray PBblaster on the bolt, then put locking pliers on the head of the bolt and twist it while pulling on it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
The upper left side of the bell housing has a bolt that goes through it, not a stud.

This bolt should slide back,out of the way, unless the engine case is pulling down on it, jack the engine up a little, then see if you can push it back, or pull it back.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i just think dan and i are physically not strong enough, so we'll get my father out there and we'll all pull. that thing is being a rat and a half. Need to get this thing going so we can go to transporterfest on sunday!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
ok, i just think dan and i are physically not strong enough, so we'll get my father out there and we'll all pull. that thing is being a rat and a half. Need to get this thing going so we can go to transporterfest on sunday!

Another possibility is that it is a later ('71 up) case with a fixed nut in the case, in which the bolt is screwed into it from behind instead of using a nut like on earlier cases. But I assume you have checked that?
--Dan
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possibility is that a PO used one of the half moon bolts into a later case with the threaded insert.
I found this to be the case on the 58 Kombi. It was almost impossible to turn the bolt out because I could not get any form of wrench or Vise Grip on the head of the bolt. I managed to turn it with my thumb and fore finger 1/100 of a turn per try. After about an hour of misery, my raw and bleeding digits finally freed the bolt.
Wiggle under the bus with a flashlight and spy up above the transaxle to confirm what kind of bolt is there. Also, look behind the shroud to be sure as to whether or not the case has the threaded insert or a nut. You may also have a doghouse oil cooler and a nut instead of the threaded insert. That makes the nut exceedingly difficult to get a wrench on. Investigate both sides of the nut/bolt, that way you can be sure what you are up against.
BTW, you should be plenty strong enough to wiggle the engine out by yourself if everything is unhooked properly.
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:

It's not a matter of strength. My 120lb wife can remove a bus engine by herself w/only a trans jack.
If two grown men can't get it out, something's hung up or still connected.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
_monkey_
Samba Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time I had this issue where it seemed to be hanging up on the driver's side top bolt, it turned out to be the accellerator cable the was caught up.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not the four engine mount points, check the accelerator cable, heater control cables, choke cable, fuel line, various wires to the engine which may or may not be in the right place, upper heater boxes catching on the front shroud or engine seal rubber, auxiliary oil cooler lines, busted throw out bearing catching on the clutch.

Not all these things are supposed to be on your engine, but you never know...

Anything else?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should it be in neutral or in gear, or something? it just seems like the bolt is binding up.
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should let us know where you are at, and maybe someone can stop by and tell you what you are doing wrong

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they are in massachusetts
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
i think they are in massachusetts

OK, that explains it....

Transporterfest is in Brookline this weekend.
Check us out there.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolt isn't the problem: the last one inch of it would easily slide out of the hole. Does the engine have a dog house fan shroud? If it does, unless it has been converted to a dog house oil cooler, it has a round nut attached to the case. You have to use a rachet with a long extension and socket on it to unscrew the bolt from the front. Did you do that?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammmmm Guys, I wish I'd seen this Sunday a.m., I drove right thru Northhampden Sunday.
you've got mail

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: