Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico??
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico?? Reply with quote

Hi! like all the thing lovers know is more easy find the right thing in mexico because they sold many more, So i find one very,very good one but i dont know if i can import and drive here in USA.

If you know some type 181 (thing) please let me know..

Thanks

Jorge Ladriere
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico?? Reply with quote

Crazier things have been known to happen. Talk to the VW shops and see what they say, they may know more about the laws in your area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico?? Reply with quote

This link has all the info you need to import- www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/Can0202.html
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico?? Reply with quote

Jorge:
A rounded figure of 62,300 cars were made in Mexico from oct 1970 to may 1980. Of those, 28,000 were exported to the U.S. and Canada, leaving you with 34,300 cars. At least 500 were sent to Costa Rica in 1971, and at least 2,000 more were sent to England, Germany and Indonesia, either completely assambled or not. Then you end with 31,800 cars sold in Mexico compared to 28,000 sold in the U.S. Not much of a difference. The reson why we see more Safaris in Mexico than Things in the U.S. is due to way more cars of other makes being sold in the american market blended with some Things. And a slower turn around of cars in Mexico were it is easier to see cars that have been long crushed in the U.S.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico?? Reply with quote

Importing a car is not for the faint of heart, In order to keep it away from a very expensive DOT compliance conversion, it must be 25 yrs old or older when entered.
you still have to post a bond, pay a customs broker and go thru all the scrutiny of a arms dealer. Try to find a good car already here in the USA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Can i import a safari (thing) from Mexico?? Reply with quote

Jorge...As Kubelken mentioned, It has to be 25 model years or more old to get past federal safety standard limitations on vehicle importation. That means that up to a 1978 could be imported. But, if you are importing into a state with emissions controls that are stricter than the federal standards, such as California, you are still limited to model year 1974 unless you want to try to do battle with the smog police. As am example, I doubt if you can get a 1978 Safari to meet federal standards unless you swapped in an entire 78 f.i. engine and computer control system.

I looked at a sweet 78 Safari at a dealer several years ago in Monterrey, but all I could do was dream... Good Luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: