Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever use "Sea Foam"?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever use "Sea Foam"? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Sea Foam = Dr. Peppier! Rolling Eyes

Bug On!

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever use "Sea Foam"? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
I used the Sea Foam Spray in my ‘67 Beetle’s engine yesterday. (1600 SP engine with nearly 100,000 miles on it.)

After warming the engine up to operating temp, I removed the air cleaner and propped a 5lb dumb bell against the gas pedal to hold the rpm’s at about 2,000. Then I slowly sprayed the Sea Foam into the carb. After about 10 minutes, the can was empty and I shut the engine off to let it hot soak. After 15 minutes, I started the engine and took the car for a spirited 10 mile drive.

Although many have commented about plumes of smoke billowing out of the tail pipes, I only got some limited white smoke while spraying the product down the carb...nothing as bad or heavy as I was expecting.

The idle is definitely smoother now, and the engine feels a little peppier.

Sea Foam = Dr. Peppier! Rolling Eyes

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever use "Sea Foam"? Reply with quote

I used the Sea Foam Spray in my ‘67 Beetle’s engine yesterday. (1600 SP engine with nearly 100,000 miles on it.)

After warming the engine up to operating temp, I removed the air cleaner and propped a 5lb dumb bell against the gas pedal to hold the rpm’s at about 2,000. Then I slowly sprayed the Sea Foam into the carb. After about 10 minutes, the can was empty and I shut the engine off to let it hot soak. After 15 minutes, I started the engine and took the car for a spirited 10 mile drive.

Although many have commented about plumes of smoke billowing out of the tail pipes, I only got some limited white smoke while spraying the product down the carb...nothing as bad or heavy as I was expecting.

The idle is definitely smoother now, and the engine feels a little peppier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 12volt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used sea foam on my 66 only because I recently rebuilt it. Sea foam works great on engines with a lot of carbon build up. The first time I used it was on a used ford truck I bought. It had a bad fuel pressure regulator and had been running extremly rich for a long time. I sucked up a can through the brake booster vacuum line, let it sit for 20 minutes and restarted. Warn your neighbors! It fogged out the hood. It made a big difference. I am assuming there had to have been plenty of build up. I tried it again on my oldest daughters 79 volvo. Its a tank but keeps on running. Last time I just eked by a smog (CA) test and worried it may fail this time around. Will test this week and see? I would not hesitate to use some on an air cooled especially if you suspect a rich mix has been going on. Remember what your heads looked like the last time you pulled them?
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your fuel lines are in good condition Shocked
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used SeaFoam on my 1966 Bug. Used it down the carburetor and it made quite a bit of smoke. Didn't feel a huge difference, but it couldn't have hurt.

I will run the rest of the can next time I fill up with gas.

I'd use it again.

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok-i put 1/3 SeaFoam in 8 gallons and now I have a severe gas leak - I suppose it works - maybe too well - now I have to find the leak Rolling Eyes
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PabloCentro wrote:
So you just take the air cleaner off and dump the sea foam right down into the carb?

yep. make sure the engine is warmed up and pour it in slowly or you'll choke it out. after about a 1/3 can goes in, turn off the engine and let it sit for a few minutes. then start it up and run it around. that's it! I also put a can into the tank

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PabloCentro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just take the air cleaner off and dump the sea foam right down into the carb?
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdwman wrote:
Used Seafoam this weekend. I removed the air cleaner, added 1/3 can down the carb and put the rest in the gas tank per directions. I was expecting all kinds of smoke but just got a minute or two of white smoke. The car was running well before so there was not a huge difference. Don't know if it's my imagination but I think there is an improvement in starting; seems to fire up more readily when I turn the key.

I'll second that. Used it yesterday, had exactly the same results. It DOES idle more smoothly though.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdwman wrote:

I also installed new plugs. #3 was a bear to remove! After spraying Kroil down there I finally got it turning and out. That plug had some debris on the threads and the Muir book says in that case take out the engine, etc., etc. Great!! I just reinstalled the new plug and the car is running very smooth. Should I expect metal grinding sounds and big problems?

no, you shouldn't expect metal grinding sounds....worst case scenario with damaged threads is for the engine to blow the sparkplug out...this, as i said, is worst case....and that is assuming you have real damage to the threads from the plug being seized....its more likely you wont have to worry about it....next time you need to remove that plug i recommend running a thread chase through the hole, and you should always use some lube(engine oil is fine) or metalic based(usually copper) anti-seize on the plug's threads....(that last statement is my opinion and opinion of many others....then there are folks that have never used anti-seize and been okay too....)
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdwman wrote:
Used Seafoam this weekend. I removed the air cleaner, added 1/3 can down the carb and put the rest in the gas tank per directions. I was expecting all kinds of smoke but just got a minute or two of white smoke. The car was running well before so there was not a huge difference. Don't know if it's my imagination but I think there is an improvement in starting; seems to fire up more readily when I turn the key.

I also installed new plugs. #3 was a bear to remove! After spraying Kroil down there I finally got it turning and out. That plug had some debris on the threads and the Muir book says in that case take out the engine, etc., etc. Great!! I just reinstalled the new plug and the car is running very smooth. Should I expect metal grinding sounds and big problems?

This stuff apparently works if you have an issue that needs resolution (eg: varnishing of old gas, carbon buildup, etc.) If you didnt notice an appreciable difference, you already have finely tuned car sans these issues. Mine are not daily drivers and may sit for long spells between outings. This product is ideal for folks like me Wink .

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car runs good, and no noises or smoke now, then I wouldn't worry
mdwman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!!
chocolatetoothpaste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
chocolatetoothpaste: What's up with your signature? I'm trying to decipher what it is!

Sorry. If you use a monospace font, it is the back of an oval beetle.
Hmm, looks like it got screwed up in posting. I'll see if I can fix it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. Last night I tried it on a non-believers friends car. added a long hose off the intake where the brake booster line goes. used my thumb over the line and sucked it in the engine carefully. Smoke for dayz and a very happy friend. He was amazed and then went and bought some to add to his work truck.

That must be a great job, the shit sells itself
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you SEAFOAM works, as I rep the product and have worked personally with the owner of the company for weeks out in the field.
Demos on everything fom diesel dump trucks to weedeaters always come out the same......it works!!!

For those who are just sticking a vacuum line into the can be cautious....many engines have been ruined like this. YOU MUST METER the fluid intake into the engine. I just use my thumb and gently let the engine suck it in through the brake booster line on most cars. The key is to do it to a fully warmed engine and after the "ingestion" let the car sit with the engine off for 20 minutes or more then drive it.

On a VW you might just want to trickle it in through the carb. I usually trickle about half a can and then dump the rest in the tank.

As for stabilizing fuel and preventing gumming up the carbs....how about four years??? Seafoam has done independent tests to prove this, although they only claim two years.

Snake oil??? Hardly, try some and you will swear by it. Do it to your daily driver first because I want you to really feel the difference. It works.

When I demo this stuff to mechanics, I always sell a case of it.

MURZ
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolatetoothpaste: What's up with your signature? I'm trying to decipher what it is!
chocolatetoothpaste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, depends on how long it soaks I guess! Some of my friends and I that have used Empruv have had to change our fuel filters several times until all the junk was out of the system, then it was unbelievable. My friend who drives a tractor cleaned a handful of dirt out of his fuel filter bowl.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: