Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO-42 metal edge protector stuff--source?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: SO-42 metal edge protector stuff--source? Reply with quote

I am looking for a source of some thin white plastic-like material that Westfalia used to protect the top edge of the poptop lip as well as the passenger side raingutter where the tent rail clamps on. It appears to be just folded-over plastic stuff.

Anyone who has had their poptop off knows the stuff I am talking about. Mine was intact and just fine on the poptop, but on the tent rail it was completely disintegrated. I need something there.

Anyone know either a source of a similar product, or have good ideas for what to use on the raingutter to protect it from the tent rail/clamps?

Thanks!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woody
can you post some pics of the strips you are refering to? my top does not have this.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a source for the correct stuff, but the first thought that comes to mind for a functional replacement is some door edge guard - you know, the kind of crap they sell at Kragen...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barnabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody,

I think the stuff you are looking for is called "Pinchwelt".

McMasterCarr stocks it.

-O
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinchwelt is way way too thick.
This stuff is the thickness of a double layer of friction tape.
I will get some photos up soon.
I am thinking of going with outdoor grade polyurethane racer's tape, 14 mil. A roll is $30 though. I don't need 60 yards.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are referring to the "U" shaped piece of white plastic beading that fits on the perimeter of th flared metal on thepop top hole and prevents the canvas from being torn by the sheet metal flaring? Am I correct??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummm what about a junk westy? you may find it from someone who is parting one out in the classified's... my 66 has the stuff. is the pop top hole surround long enough for the tent strip as well?
wile on the subject ....anybody got a sorce for the "Y" shaped trim that fits the seam where the top cabinet fit's against the roof? the stuff that is stapled to the cabinet top edge?
Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tape solution has worked just fine for me. I took the rails off a few weeks ago and everything still looks good underneath (5 years or so)....

Annie Dillard

55 Rag Top
67 Westy
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike and Velvetgreen, that is the stuff.
I will watch for a junk westy. The stuff is super brittle, it would have to be local pickup. Nice to know that I could use tape if need be.

While on the subject, what do people use on the bottoms of their rack supports to protect the gutters? PO used foam tape, which disintegrated right away. I was going to dip the bottom half inch of mine in black Plasti-Dip--the kind you use on plier handles and the like.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Yes Mike and Velvetgreen, that is the stuff.
I will watch for a junk westy. The stuff is super brittle, it would have to be local pickup. Nice to know that I could use tape if need be.

While on the subject, what do people use on the bottoms of their rack supports to protect the gutters? PO used foam tape, which disintegrated right away. I was going to dip the bottom half inch of mine in black Plasti-Dip--the kind you use on plier handles and the like.

My westy came with rubber/vinyl pieces that folded over the gutter but I've thought about doung the plastic-dip stuff as well.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try out the plasti-dip and see how it works on the racks. It's pretty soft, might not stand up too well on the rack hoop bases but should be ok on the clamps. It doesn't really stick, it just sort of forms around whatever gets dipped into it.

You know what would be really good, would be spray-on bedliner, just on the surfaces that touch the bus. Have it sprayed on (would they even charge you, if you showed up with the pieces all masked?) and then sand down the lumps before installing? Done right, you wouldn't even be able to see it.
Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use small pieces of cut inner tube from a bike which I place under each leg, it folds around the gutter really well. I also dipped the ends of each leg and coated the inside of each clamp with limited success.

Annie Dillard

55 Rag Top
67 Westy
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
I use small pieces of cut inner tube from a bike which I place under each leg, it folds around the gutter really well. I also dipped the ends of each leg and coated the inside of each clamp with limited success.

There you go, that's exactly what I'll do. Better than Plasti-Dip, and much easier too.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats the original stuff even though he has it on wrong.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inner tube, thats what i was thinking too. that should work good.
what about some cloth electrical tape. really tough stuff and about as thick as the white edging. cheaper than any 30 dollars too, about 5.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abeed wrote:
inner tube, thats what i was thinking too. that should work good.
what about some cloth electrical tape. really tough stuff and about as thick as the white edging. cheaper than any 30 dollars too, about 5.

It's fabric. i was concerned about it holding water against the paint and also there is no way it would stand up to the UV.
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this thread. Didn't know about this stuff. My poptop still has it on there but the tent rail one is LONG GONE. I guess this is something I'll be needing when I redo my bus. Thanks again.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use leather from an old leather belt. I crushes but won't punch through. It dries when gotten wet, too.
turbo_g
Father of Samba Cookie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:

Major,

Are you talking about the underside of the clamp or the bottom of the rack support (foot) that fit's INTO your gutter. For the former, just some rectangular pieces of thin rubber (bike innertube works) and for the latter, I used cut pieces of clear tubing with a hole notched in them, then stretch them over the foot.
SV2s Member #425
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo_g wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Major,

Are you talking about the underside of the clamp or the bottom of the rack support (foot) that fit's INTO your gutter. For the former, just some rectangular pieces of thin rubber (bike innertube works) and for the latter, I used cut pieces of clear tubing with a hole notched in them, then stretch them over the foot.

Good ideas, all! Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: