Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's got a wood floor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
Did mine...

Now that is cool. I dig the log cabin/sauna vibe. I wish Westfalia would have continued longer with the wood veneer finish, or at least made it an option for later vans.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
MichaelCampingInVA wrote:
Did mine...

Now that is cool. I dig the log cabin/sauna vibe. I wish Westfalia would have continued longer with the wood veneer finish, or at least made it an option for later vans.

Thanks joe, I'm pretty happy with it..
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Installed this today
Cost $35 for the wood and calk from HD
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:

I really should take some new shots.

I want to do something like this above and below, but I have a couple of questions...

I plan on doing a wood sidewall on the left hand side, along with a panel just aft of the seats like the bay above.

1. Do I do the floor first, then the left side wall? Or should I do the sidewall first?

2. I'd like to use a nice plywood for it. What type and thickness would you recommend?

Thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezmass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Installed my wood floor last weekend. I needed 2 x 24sqft boxes (well, 1 box + about 1 plank) for weekender/multivan passenger area. Product is TrafficMaster Teak Luxury Vinyl Plank from HD. Replaced my rear heater core & valve and installed sound dampening while I had the bench out. Turned out nice, kid loves the new "dance floor"

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

ooh i really like the darker tint of that!

ill throw ours in for posterity

i wanted to float it, but it needed a little bit of screw assistance to really fit perfect, and ended up mounting the fridge slide in through it anyway.
it was a single box of cheap pergo.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket - that's really nice. It looks bright in there. Is it from the camera flash, or do you have led lights on the ceiling?

I want to do something similar, but put a heater where you have your cooler.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I was asked by a sambanite to post how I did the pergo on top of the seat tracks. These pics explain what I did. Basically I made it so I could remove the center section and expose the seat tracks for when I install the single or double seat. The pergo is laid directly on the stock grey floor. The outer two sections are held in place by one flush screw each.

I like how you did the hidden removable panel to expose the seat tracks.

Great idea
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Been watching this thread literally for years, and excited to finally be putting a wood floor in my 87 Westie next weekend with the help of a handy friend Very Happy

Some things still aren't clear though...

First, it seems like a lot of folks put insulation strips in the grooves in the body under the floor. Is that standard practice, and recommended?

Do folks typically add a subfloor on top of this? Looks like valvecovergasket used plywood. Does that work out ok in hot climates? (I'm in Southern California). Are there other recommendations? And if subfloor, how thick? I'm guessing it would have to be pretty thin, around 1/4". We're installing an engineered hardwood that is 3/8". Are there other subfloors folks use besides plywood that work well? ezmass looks like some kind of corkboard.

If you use a subfloor, do you attach the subfloor and then just float the flooring on top? And what do you use to attach it? I'm thinking glue might not be best due to varying weather conditions in a bus. So do you repurpose the holes from the original flooring and screw in the subfloor? Do you glue the flooring to the subfloor?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
bobblebeauty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Cedar fence boards finished with beeswax

CptRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got wood? Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
avernon82 wrote:
I got wood!

Hey!

How did you do the headliner? What thickness of plywood did you use and did you need to do any steam bending to get it to work?

Thanks,

I'm also interested.
I might try to do this next
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

elliottlemberger wrote:
Been watching this thread literally for years, and excited to finally be putting a wood floor in my 87 Westie next weekend with the help of a handy friend Very Happy

Some things still aren't clear though...

I think there is quite the range... from little prep/planning to a deliberate plan with sound deadening, insulation, specific geometry, etc.

If you want to keep it simple, prep the floor and put down a few plants to see how strong it is by itself. If there is too much flex, you need to build up the sub floor. If not, maybe consider insulation and you’re done. My planks were a bit thinner so I was more concerned with sub floor.

My experience is that I could have done less, or rather, differently with the same results. Anyway, here are some pointers that address most of your comments:

-Strips of insulation or sound deadening will also reduce flex in sub floor. I used an insulated underlayment across the entire metal floor.
-sub floor of plywood is popular, i wonder how it holds up in 5 years with moisture, so would consider alternates here. I used the thinnest backer board I could find and I am embarrassed to think of the unnecessary weight... the idea was to avoid plywood with a mold-resistant material. Don’t know the best solution, it all sounds heavy and I am probably overthinking it.
-for me, all 4 layers are floating (insulation, sub floor, underlayment, planks)
-floating cont...I have room for expansion lengthwise under the rear bench, and trim on the other 3 edges to clean up the ends.
-Strongly suggest removing the rear bench, not sure about the Westy kitchen (I have a ton too, so no direct experience)

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

That's helpful...thanks for that.

As for alternatives to plywood subfloor, anyone have any pointers on pros and cons of cork vs rubber (the other two alternatives I seem to have seen browsing the forums).
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

After years of watching this thread, finally joined the club this weekend!

I took a bunch of photos throughout and will post with notes to help answer some of the questions I had before going through this for others when I have a moment.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

^^^ Very nice!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Here are some pics from my install in hopes that they can help some other folks going through this process.

Note, we removed the rear bench, but not the kitchen cabinetry. In order to get the existing floor out from under the kitchen cabinetry, first we sawed it in half, but eventually found we were able to tug it out when we pulled the vinyl layer off the wood. It gave us more wiggle room to work with as the existing subfloor goes about half an inch under the cabinets but there are nails holding it in place that need to be worked loose.

After removing the existing flooring we laid down reflectix insulation, cutting strips to put in the grooves, then a Silicon Vaper Shield on top of that, then a thin subfloor. I believe it was 1/16".

Through some very meticulous and careful measuring, we were able to locate the holes where the original floor was screwed in, and drilled the subfloor into these same holes.

Then we glue the hardwood to the subfloor.

Including a few shots of the brackets we had to remove to get the bench seat out. This step wasn't as painful as I feared it might be just took some time, and took lots of photos to make sure we were able to match every screw and bracket back up to where it came from.

We also only installed the new flooring about an inch or two past the edge of the bench seat which is where the original flooring was.

And I'd purchased 2 boxes of wood 20sq ft per box, but only ended up needing one. Though might be best to get two in case you want to mix and match pieces. This is the wood we used.

joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my gray westy factory carpet rug with an equal-dimension faux wood vinyl flooring mat. Not looking to remove any of the factory flooring or cut anything up, just create a removable vinyl mat.

I've been searching on VOG and in the search bar.

What do I need to do this? A thin sheet of plywood to lay the vinyl on and that's it? Or should I use some sort of foam material also?

Thanks!
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

hey valve,

Your floor looks great.
Yesterday, I took my interior space completely bare like you did. Plan on finishing Saturday and had a couple questions. Did you run the plywood under the sink/cabinet and did you remove the bottom of the bench seat when installing it over the plywood? And finally what thickness plywood did you use?

Thanks

valvecovergasket wrote:
ooh i really like the darker tint of that!

ill throw ours in for posterity

i wanted to float it, but it needed a little bit of screw assistance to really fit perfect, and ended up mounting the fridge slide in through it anyway.
it was a single box of cheap pergo.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Taoseno wrote:
hey valve,

Your floor looks great.
Yesterday, I took my interior space completely bare like you did. Plan on finishing Saturday and had a couple questions. Did you run the plywood under the sink/cabinet and did you remove the bottom of the bench seat when installing it over the plywood? And finally what thickness plywood did you use?

Thanks

i forget the thickness, but it was matching whatever came out - theres individual sheets mimicing the shape of the original bits under the sink and rear cabinet. then the main sheet that runs the length of the floor goes in tight next to that. i think the only reason for this is the width of available sheeting.
the wood floor itself just buts up against the rear bench. then theres a little half round trim piece i lightly glued to the wood floor (but not the cabinets) where it meets the sink and rear cabinet so in theory the whole wood floor could be replaced without pulling any benches.
the trim piece at the slider keeps everything in place on that end and the smll couple screws i mentioned keep the rest put. the fridge lock helps as well.

my thinking was that since it was cheapo pergo itd eventually get water damaged or scratched to bits and id want to replace it without a major interior tear down.

tjet wrote:
valvecovergasket - that's really nice. It looks bright in there. Is it from the camera flash, or do you have led lights on the ceiling?

I want to do something similar, but put a heater where you have your cooler.

Thanks

sorry missed this earlier... where it was in the shop has a ton of lights above. the only interior light on in that pic was the led strip you can see above the stove.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

About to tackle this myself.

What's the advantage of adding a plywood subfloor vs. putting it right over what's there?

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: