Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

buy thing in mexico & bring back to CA?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: buy thing in mexico & bring back to CA? Reply with quote

I live in the San Diego area and want a Thing. I have heard that Things/Safaris are still manufactured in Mexico. Anybody know if that is true? Could I go buy one in Mexico and bring it back into the US and register it in California? Where do they sell them in Mexico? And how about old Safaris... where in Mexico can I look for those, and can I bring one of those back into the US? If anybody has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them. Thanks SO much! -kim [email protected]
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: buy thing in mexico & bring back to CA? Reply with quote

I have heard they were made up to 1980 or so,but they are no longer produced. I live on the border and believe me Mexico is not the place to look for any decent car. Somebody recently posted an extremely rough project Thing from Mexico in the gallery and it is what a 20 year old car usually looks like down there. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: buy thing in mexico & bring back to CA? Reply with quote

Type-181's went out of production in 1980, in fact the last Safari built is owned by a member on www.shoptalkforums.com (Thing Forum) There are many cars left in Mexico, but not in the border areas, and they bring a good price, plus the price of bringing them back to the states. Several years ago, in Monterrey, Mexico, I saw a very nice 1978 Safari in a VW dealers for about $2800, but then, as now, you can't register it in CA.

Although you can now bring cars into the U.S. that are 25 years old without safety inspection requirements, the newest Type-181 you can legally register in CA is a 1974, without getting the car smog approved.

Good Luck
Bob Miller, Riverside, CA
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: buy thing in mexico & bring back to CA? Reply with quote

so that explains why i saw a few Things on a recent trip to Cancun!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: buy thing in mexico & bring back to CA? Reply with quote

Most of the Things you sow in Can Cun were taken there by a guy who buys them in Mexico City, refurbish them and sales them in Can Cun. This worked fine for the first truck load of 18 cars. After this he had a hard time finding some more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: