Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installed New Pop Top Canvas - My thoughts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so pleased to finally see that link. I've forgotten their site.. and its good timing for me to make an inquiry.

I'd asked if they can enlarge and square up the front window, side window, and add in removable clear, bug, and solid panels for the windows.

What can I say, I love options..

Your van really looks sharp, and that is the best fitting tent I've seen.

Far cry from the cheapie I ordered, received and sent back to Busdepot, which didn't even match the color on their website.

I cant wait to get one of these tents!

Smile
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunbrella canvas Reply with quote

tom power wrote:
I paid a auto top place to do the install, Nice job. Sometimes it makes no sense getting into a project like this where you really need the outcome to be perfect.

Did the place have prior experience doing Westy tops?

also, what year is your Van? I've seen posts that the later years are easier to do.
DrTwee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunbrella canvas Reply with quote

tom power wrote:
I paid a auto top place to do the install, Nice job. Sometimes it makes no sense getting into a project like this where you really need the outcome to be perfect.

Agreed! When the time comes, I'm going with the professional installation. Some jobs on the Westy are just too much of a PITA and I've wasted plenty of $$$ getting in over my head on projects where I often end up spending as much, if not more, than if I had it professionally done in the first place. I'd rather pay someone who does this type of thing for a living than trust me to do it right the first and (hopefully) only time.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh by the way, if your original canvas is in good shape, try to remove the canvas with care so you could re-sell it.

i was tempted to just tear the old canvas and rush the job, but since my canvas was in pretty good shape, i took my time removing it. i placed the used canvas on the classifieds on the samba and i think i could've sold it at least 5 times over. i sold it $50 plus shipping. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are clearly 2 schools of thought here: those who remove and invert the top and those who replace the canvas with the top in situ.

I took the latter approach simply because I was alone in the middle of almost nowhere. The replacement with the top is place was really pretty easy.

I got to do it twice because the first canvas was totally incorrect and would not come close to fitting. After that I measured before installing and when I got to the 4th canvas I found one that was correct.

Both methods are no doubt fine, but no that if you must try this solo it can be done. Pics on request.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was under the impression they are suppose to be tight on the initial install because they will "loosen" up over time...if you start loose she will be flapping in the wind after a couple years ...its a fine line , definately a PITA job but very gratifying every time you pop the top and marvel at your work and can say "yeah i installed that" Wink
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the most expensive one from GoWesty and although it is well made, it did not fit.

I removed and reinstalled several times but it just wouldn't work on the bottom part. I had to fudge it a little by cutting the aluminum strips.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westylife, Fantastic write-up! Now to find 3 guys. Fortunately, my top is OK, but figure I need this at some point for my 86, also happy to have an 86 without staples.

With our nomadic lifestyle the 3 other guys, if I find them, I am probably best off just geting the canvas while they are near!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to do this on my '81. From the photos and comments I can't see if folks left the rear hinges attached to the top or left them on the van or if it doesn't matter. Any tips would be appreciated. (I'm going to remove & invert the top to do the job)
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used www.atelierspk.com Very happy with it. Made in Canada. I paid $485 shipped to California in 8 days.( 2 years ago) Acrylic with three windows.

I heard of horror stories of how fitment can be a issue on cheaper tents so I made sure I went with the best company.

Ben, reputable restorer in Canada recommended which was good enough for me, knowing how many Westy's he restores.

I installed it myself with no help in 8 hours with the top on. (first time) Fitment was like Armani suit or Hugo Boss suit. near perfect.

honestly it was not that hard installing it, bit time consuming but not hard at all. having a few handy tools will definitely help

I'm glad I went with this company because they are not a middle man like gowesty or bus depot or van cafe. they make it themselves.

these are some useful tools to have. The speaker stand you can buy and return at SAM ASh or Guitar Center.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow as a prospective buyer looking for our first Westy I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. No more looking at ripped, stained, moldy tents and saying "they can be replaced and aren't too expensive" Now it will be "they can be replaced and aren't too expensive but someonelse is doing it because I will end up in fits of rage" (because I AM just that type). I can totally relate to the comments here on some of the work and getting pissed off - and as such I had to laugh!

Either that or after we borrow our friend's Westy to confirm we want to buy one, we'll then have them over for a tent replacement "party" on our new purchase. Hey, what are friends for?
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudar wrote:
Would it be possible/ advisable to ``upgrade'' from the staple system to one using screws if and when I get around to replacing the canvas? All one would need, it seems, is a rail with some grip to it and holes for the screws; I'd imagine something from the insulation section of the hardware store could be pressed into duty...

My question precisely. I was chatting with Peter at Van-Cafe today and he suggested I ask on TheSamba ... did my search and am now 'quoting' an almost five year old post.

I have an '82 and before I go tearing into this job; does anyone have any experience as to whether the wooden strips can be replaced with a salvaged set of the aluminum rails and appropriate screws.

Hopefully someone has been through this and successfully atempted this 'upgrade'.

Thanks,

John
1982 intercooled 1.9TD Westy with JX pump
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penttila4 wrote:
What is a good website for instructions on how to install the new canvas for the pop top?

http://www.limbobus.org/poptop.htm

Hope you didn't buy the one from Just Krapers!
Penttila4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a good website for instructions on how to install the new canvas for the pop top?
mcbrydem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Westy pop top Reply with quote

It does have a hem, so it's not just plain fabric. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that when I get back from vacation.
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot top trouble Reply with quote

mcbrydem wrote:
Should I try another approach? Bus Depot says this isn't too hard to do, but I don't want to keep tearig the top. Happy for any suggestions.

Does it not have any sort of edging or seamed edge? Just fabric that is cut and nothing else? If that is the case, i would definitely return it. Otherwise, it will just fray and come apart. The one i bought from bus depot years ago had a grey fabric edging to prevent fraying.

Assuming you have some sort of anti-fray thing, try just tacking it up along the top edge every third screw or so, working your way out from the middle, going all the way around. You don't need to pull hard - just take out the slack.
This will hold the canvas in place as you install the top/canvas combo. Then you can do the more cosmetically obvious work of the bead along the inside of the van and get that right. Then you switch back to the top and take all the slack out, starting in the middle working your way out to the sides (alternating L/R) with the top up.

This is what i did, and am very happy with the install (despite the cheap material), but it also sounds like mine was bigger than the average canvas, so YMMV.
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
mcbrydem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Bus Depot top trouble Reply with quote

I've just tried installing one of those less-expsnsive Bus Depot tops on my '84, which has the screw-on top. Unlike the original, the top lacks a bead. I started by anchoring the top (top off and upside down) at the midpoint of each side (four screws) and then pulling it into the corners. At the first stretch, the first screw just ripped out. Should I try another approach? Bus Depot says this isn't too hard to do, but I don't want to keep tearig the top. Happy for any suggestions.
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aircooledchris

I dont think there is any great benefit to the visor on my friends Van, just breacks up the whiteness of the van. I know that over 60ish he complains of it wobbing about a bit, but on these beasts we dont find dragb to be a major issue!!
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamalemon, You bring it to my house in coquitlam and we'll have a go. Mine's in great shape so no need to futz with it but I'm always willing to have a go with anything Vanagon/Westy. Always happy to meet another local. PM me if you're interested. Bring loads of beer.

Cheers
Scott.
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife and I are going to do our canvas, ours screws in i believe. it's an 89 and i saw screws.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: