Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4wd option for Thing?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: 4wd option for Thing? Reply with quote

No tj it's not an all wheel drive, but it does put power to both rear wheels instead of just one wheel like a standard differential. The advantage to this is when one wheel looses it's grip the other rear wheel still has power to it, on a standard differential when this happens the other wheel does not turn and you stop. It allows for turning by having a clutch pack so after so many foot pounds of pressure it slips a bit allowing the wheel on the outside of the turn to rotate faster than the wheel on the inside of the turn. Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: 4wd option for Thing? Reply with quote

So does this LSD come stock in Things or is there an aftermarket kit that can still be purchased to upgrade the stock Thing to this LSD?

Just curious if anyone here has drove a Thing in snow and how it performed. I want to get a Thing but need to make sure it can get me to work and back home during snowy Winter. I have a 4x4 Isuzu now but want to sell that and buy a Thing but need to make sure a two wheel drive Thing can handle the snow. If you have drive a Thing in snow, does your Thing have this LSD or just stock?

tj
Capn Skully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: 4wd option for Thing? Reply with quote

Put the Thing body onto a regular 4WD that would be easier.

Like an Isuzu Trooper. The Trooper is only 6 inches longer than a Super Beetle and I know where you can get one pretty cheap, it only needs a good rebuild on the engine.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: 4wd option for Thing? Reply with quote

A torque-biasing differential is best for snowy or wet roads. Just as you wouldn't drive at higher speeds with your diff lock on, you wouldn't want an LSD on anything other than dry pavement --- at least not an LSD with a high locking ratio. The torque-biasing differential is quite transparent in operation, with progressive lock-up on acceleration and zero lock-up on deceleration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: 4wd option for Thing? Reply with quote

Has anybody looked at the 4 wheel drive system for the Kubelwagen? I found some photos a while back on the web. They look like swing axle trailing arms up front, and the differetial resides where the front of the pan normally lives (the torsion bars bolt to it). Also, if one was to search diligently, you would find a web page with a beetle that the owner converted to 4WD. He used a nissan differential and CV joints to make it work. I'd love to have a 4WD thing. I'd post links, but I'm not on my home computer.

Ok, I found one. Down the page (this is the front diff)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/9040/articles/Kommandeur/Kommandeur.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does a Thing drive in snow? Don't know, but, I have driven Beetles in snow county from the Swiss Alps to Fairbanks Alaska. Lotsa dang snow!!! An aircooled VW is surefooted in the extreme with snow tires only. Stud em or use chains, and I think you can climb the walls, just about. the only problem a Beetle has is ground clearance, and that is not an issue with the Thing, unless you get into serious heavy snow pack. Wher you live, trips to the Sierra Nevada on hwy 49 or hwy 20 should be a snap (as long as your gas heater is working properly). The LSD is a nice thing to have, but if you have traction devices like chains or studs. You aren't gonna spin a wheel easily and as long as you build up good snow driving skills, TJ you are king of the road. Save your money, don't by a LSD or Torsen type device (probably cost ya a grand, less installaiion and tranny setup) and get a good sound system, good snow tires and chains and motor in style. Put a survival kit in the back too!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven my ZF LSD equipped Bug in the snow many times. With its low profile tires (225/50s) I was almost able to accelerate on the snow as fast as a stocker on dry pavement. The traction is unbelievable in a straight line. Same goes for the rain.
The ZF LSD was an option on the Thing, but VWoA never offered this in the USA. Don't bother digging through piles of trans cores, you will never find one.
If anyone is interested in buying a ZF LSD, shoot me an e-mail, I have them for sale. They are a lot less than WMT thinks, no where near "a grand".
wmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce

Cool, didn't know ZF ever made one!!! Thought we had to use something like a Quaife or other Torsen-type device... those are pricey for sure. I am building a Thing for some rough country driving. Will stay in touch. I stand re-informed. Thanks for the courteous correction.

I'm sure you will agree, though, a well set up 2wd Thing is a very capable off road machine, regardless the season. Certainly as capable as most traditional 4wd machines in the incaple hands of the average street driver.

Thanks

wmt
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just posted a couple of pics of ZFs for VWs. IRS and swing axle. I haven't taken any pics of the Bus 091 ZF yet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/index.php?view+41
vw68autobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Limited Slip Differential = LSD Reply with quote

A Limitd Slip Differential, simply locks the differential in the gearbox most of the time so that both rear wheels Drive All the time, even in snow & ice... & mud etc... where normal differentials don't...
It Would make the world of difference.... No slipping rear wheels... they both just drive over anything... a rear wheel drive car with a rear engine with a limited slip differential will go just about anywhere...
I wish I had one although I don't go in snow & ice etc...or even mud... or sand...
VW Things or type 182's (RHD thing) were never sold in Australia, although a limited number of 182's were sold in the UK.
There is one type 182 in Australia with a LSD. It was tested by the Australian Armed Forces and is now owned privately.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Limited Slip Differential = LSD Reply with quote

vw68autobug wrote:
A Limitd Slip Differential, simply locks the differential in the gearbox most of the time so that both rear wheels Drive All the time,

Not quite. That would accurately describe a spool or a locker. A ZF is variable between almost an open diff and almost locked depending on how much power is applied. The more power applied, the more it locks.
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Four Wheel Drive Bug Reply with quote

All,

Check out this site. 4 wheel drive Rally Bug

http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/old_bug.html

Enjoy

RF
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: