Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

Can anyone fill me in on the proper latches for the Fiberjet Hardtop?
I was told that the soft top type latches would be incompatible. How does the rear hook down?

Thanks!
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

I've got a stock hard top, and as far as I know, there's no difference between securing it to the body, versus a Fiberjet top. The rear bolts in place. If you look inside the rear upper compartment of your thing, you should notice 3 bold holes on each side, and 3 or 4 in back. The hard top has metal tabs which align with those holes, and the whole thing just bolts into place. Moving forward, it has two metal tube supports, which extend down from the hard top, and bolt into the two holes on the door posts on either side of the car. The front latches on my hard top appear to be the same as those on my soft top. The hooks on the windshield work for both tops. Hope this is of some help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

Hello CHINARIDER,

Thanks for the reply. This FiberJet hardtop has absolutley no hardware on it. I do have an email into the company tho.. I think the VW Stock HARD TOP and the FIBERJET do differ because there are no posts, no metal tabs...JUST fiberglass. I did look at another in town that was tied down with rubber latches in rear interior carriage and outer front windshild.... I would rather have a cleaner method, especially on the windshield.

I was told by a guy at the THING SHOP that standard Thing latches wont work for the fiberjet... Anyone have them working?

THANKS
LISA

Thank YOU!
LISA
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

Lisa,

I have a FiberJet top on my thing and it does not secure like the factory top. The latches on the windshield frame are mounted next to the factory latches and appear to be of hardware store quality. The back of the hard top is secured using what I believe is the hinge pin used by the factory soft top frame. Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words and I will photogragh these securing points and post them in the gallery. It may take me a day or two, but I will post another reply after these pictures are in the gallery.

Basilio
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

Dear Basilio,

Thank You...
and Bless You!

I will await the photos.

LISA
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

OK LISA,

I uploaded 4 photos that should give you a good view of how FiberJet secured their hardtops to the THING. The photos are of a 73 THING and I can only imagine that they used the same method for securing on all model years. If you need photos taken from different angles or if you have more questions, feel free to ask. You can find the photos in the THING / accessories section of the gallery.

Basilio
LISA O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: FIBERJET HARD TOP LATCHES Reply with quote

THANKS BASILIO,
Your photos are very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to help out.
Sincerely,
LISA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: