Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine for the 67
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: New engine for the 67 Reply with quote

The stock engine in the 67 I just bought 3 weeks ago seized cruising back from the Bugs by Bay show.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've decided to put my money into quality parts rather than trying to go faster. Engine will be a stock H-case 1500 single-port (really 1600),stock carb, heads and exhaust. Here are the changes I'm considering and some questions.

-doghouse fan/cooler
Can I still use my generator?
-case tapped for full-flow with Berg kit, also case savers
The oil pump studs are different on the 1500, will that berg pump cover fit? Also, what size oil pump should I use? Can the stock one handle the full-flow?
-counterweighted 69mm crank from DPR or DMS
-Very mild cam like a webcam 119 (.422 lift, 242 duration @.050)
Am I waisting my time with this? Short of ceramic what lifters should I use with this or the stock cam?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
www.norcalaircooledgroup.com
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine for the 67 Reply with quote

BirdLives wrote:
The stock engine in the 67 I just bought 3 weeks ago seized cruising back from the Bugs by Bay show.

I've decided to put my money into quality parts rather than trying to go faster. Engine will be a stock H-case 1500 single-port (really 1600),stock carb, heads and exhaust. Here are the changes I'm considering and some questions.

-doghouse fan/cooler
Can I still use my generator?
-case tapped for full-flow with Berg kit, also case savers
The oil pump studs are different on the 1500, will that berg pump cover fit? Also, what size oil pump should I use? Can the stock one handle the full-flow?
-counterweighted 69mm crank from DPR or DMS
-Very mild cam like a webcam 119 (.422 lift, 242 duration @.050)
Am I waisting my time with this? Short of ceramic what lifters should I use with this or the stock cam?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Doghouse cooler would work... and you can keep the gen...

BUT... IMHO you should get a late model dual relief case and not spend the money on that H case.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61572&highlight=savers

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78104&highlight=case
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that! If you want a more bulletproof engine, use a modern case.
die schwarzen Schafe #666
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is what you guys recommend?
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ECA0001&cartid=0924200659734977
I don't even know if the existing case is salvagable yet. Thanks for the links Keifer, didn't realize H-cases were so bad.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Those cases are as good as you can get! John has made many 2332's out of that style case with no probs.
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is silly to skimp on the case, that would also solve my compatability problems with the oil cooler and pump cover. I kinda like the idea of having that "H" on there for originality sake, but I can let it go to avoid seeing the tow-truck man again.

I know it's really controversial, but what do you guys think about the cam/lifters? SLR'd scats with that webcam?
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use Engle cams and stock German lifters.SLR covered lifters are bulletproof,but are you building a high horse engine?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your new case can be stamped with anything as they are not stamped. pump can be installed with washers-per gene berg tech articles. the berg articles are worth the $35 they cost. the combo of the the berg tech articles and the bentley manual for 66-69 beetle will give you correct info to do this build once. i would use a engle 100 or 110 cam thou'

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip. Start adding up all the bits for doing your build correctly....then consider the factory crate longblock from a reputable vendor. Some nice details on the new mexizillian blocks. Long reach spark plugs, larger valve adjusters, REAL VALVE GUIDE SEALS. All new..factory built.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
the berg articles are worth the $35 they cost. the combo of the the berg tech articles and the bentley manual for 66-69 beetle will give you correct info to do this build once. i would use a engle 100 or 110 cam thou'

Glad you chimed in Bill, I was trying to lure you in by putting '67' in the title. I've got the Bently, I'll order the Berg articles along with the full-flow kit. Anything else I should absolutely order from Berg?

I'm under the impression that even the Engle 100 would be too much cam for the single-port heads and stock exhaust. I do a lot more hill driving in 3rd than freeway driving so I want a good powerband in the 2-4k rpm range. Will the engle give me that? Do you agree with Alan that VW lifters are the way to go? I'm really freaked out by all the flattened cams I've read about.

Volksfiend-
I am still considering it. I agree, when you add up the cost of all the parts you don't save all that much. One big thing turning me off from the pro builders is the 3-month turn-around times for most of them. Also, I'm just a real "do-it-yourself" kind of person. I plan to own acvw's for the rest of my life, so the learning experience is worth a lot. This would be my second engine build (though the first one still isn't running right Confused) Also, I'm now lucky enough to be part of a local club with some very knowledgeble guys to help me out, something I didn't have on the first one.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your still wanting to retain the single port heads i would just build the engine up stock. if you go with dual ports, you could throw ina mild cam and some kads...but id use a counterweighted crank for sure.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. made a badass single port engine (with the help of Jason Lauffer I think) If memory serves it was either a 1915 0r 1904? I remember it made good hp, but great torque for its size;a real sleeper!
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opened the case today with Mikes help -thanks Mike- Thought you guys might like to see a taste of the carnage.

The cam was broken into 4 pieces and the case mushroomed out around the cam bearings.

Anybody need a boat anchor Question Shocked
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked

too bad you wernt able to enjoy the car longer before she gave up the ghost. btw i spoke to my dad a few weeks ago and i inquired if you had contacted him about an engine, he said he couldnt place your name, and could not recall an email from you. he did however have some computer problems, so your info could have gotten lost. he is coming out here soon and i hope his itenerary includes a NAG meet day so he can meet you and everyone else.

how are the rebuild plans going?
dog_jr911
Swamp Donkey Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to rebuild the engine, you should go get a 500 $$ case. you can still get used new model cases for cheap.
60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to diss you, but do you have a 10,000 watt sound system? Turned to 11?

That rod must have been banging for a quite a while to get that blue. Were you on 680 doing 75, to keep up with traffic? You could have fragged it in 30 seconds or so there.

Build two engines, a stocker and a 2276 with your choice of goodies. You can swap them out in a couple of hours.

If you can afford to live in the Bay Area, you can buy two engines. Smile Smile
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your engine mishap; your car looks very nice. I know your pain; a mild 1600 dual-port that I built from scratch, though with many good/serviceable used parts, blew up on me after less than 300 miles. Have not investigated yet what happened. My success is way down building VW engines, even mild ones.

I'd also recommend Berg's dipstick oil temperature warning "stick" which flickers the oil warning light in the speedo (the one on the right) when the oil temp gets above about 220F. This may not prevent a situation like you just experienced, but certainly is another visual clue for prevention.

I see no reason why a well tuned stock 1500/1600 cannot maintain "75mph", and would not hesitate to do so.

Have you notified your engine builder of this damage?

The GoldenGate chapter of the vintage VW Club of America is very active in the Bay area; actually down in the San Jose area. They meet monthly and have several people who are excellent in building dependable, stock engines. That is the club which puts on the Kelley Park meet in San Jose mid-April.
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for all the advice guys. I think at this point I'm just going to build it back to stock but with a dual-relief case, cw crank and full-flow. It will have to be as the budget allows which at this point may mean after I sell the ghia.

60's Burnout wrote:
Not to diss you, but do you have a 10,000 watt sound system? Turned to 11?

That rod must have been banging for a quite a while to get that blue. Were you on 680 doing 75, to keep up with traffic? You could have fragged it in 30 seconds or so there.

Build two engines, a stocker and a 2276 with your choice of goodies. You can swap them out in a couple of hours.

If you can afford to live in the Bay Area, you can buy two engines. Smile Smile

It was about 20 seconds total from the first unusual sound to the enigine seizing. For the first 4 seconds or so I thought the sound was coming from a neigboring car since I was in traffic with the windows open and the radio on. Before that it was performing great and I am confident I didn't ask more of it than a stock 1500 should be capable of. It happened cruising at 60 on flat ground, it was just it's time to go. About a week before it shredded a fan belt at a stop light and I had to drive about 1/2 block to pull over, it did get pretty hot I suppose it could have contributed.

Laughing I would love to have 2 engines, but with no garage I don't think my wife will let me keep the spare in the bathtub. As for living in the Bay Area, I rent a condo that my Grandfather bought in '73, if not for that I couldn't afford to live here.
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Have you notified your engine builder of this damage?

The GoldenGate chapter of the vintage VW Club of America is very active in the Bay area; actually down in the San Jose area. They meet monthly and have several people who are excellent in building dependable, stock engines. That is the club which puts on the Kelley Park meet in San Jose mid-April.

The engine was built for the previous owner by a garage in San Rafael. I hadn't really thought of contacting them, maybe I'll look through the stack of receipts that came with the car and see how many miles it had on it.

Ya, Kelly Park is the best show of the year in Nor Cal in my opinion. One of their members, Jim Kikuchi is also a member of my east-bay club NAG (Norcal Aircooled Group). There are a lot of really knowledgeable people there too. In fact, when I get all the parts together I'm thinking engine building party - pizza, beer, setting end-play - well, maybe not in that order. Jason, Jim, Regis, Mike, what do guys think? Maybe when the weather gets a little warmer...
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bill on stamping a new case with your numbers if you want to be "purist". While it is all apart and you are building from scratch I would build it a 1776cc, have a set of single port heads opened up to 041 specs and ported, use an Engle 100 cam ( due to single carb) and run a counter weighted crank. Everything will work fine with a late model doghouse oil cooler & fan housing, you'll need a late front breastplate tin & the various bits of ducting. I have a customer running this spec 1776 that I built 15 years and 150,000 miles ago and aside from a valve job with guides and new rings for good measure at 115,000 miles it is still going strong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: