Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My situation...may be selling both of my VW's
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: My situation...may be selling both of my VW's Reply with quote

Ok here it is...Been married a year and have a baby due in December. On top of that we are having a house built, they are supposed to break ground in mid-October. And if all of that wasn't enough I just got word that my job could be going away in the next two years. I am a civilian federal fire fighter at our local Air Force Base. I thought that job stability was something I wouldn't have to worry about.

My plan...sell my 85 Westie and my 65 Beetle. Buy a solid split camper and pay off my credit card which is my only debt. Or possibly trade one vehicle for an old camper and then sell the other to pay off the card. I am just trying to simplify things and this seems like the best solution. Niether VW are our daily drivers. What do you all think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join another fire department! Keep the cars. You might get, let's say $15K for the pair. Can you replace them for that? It is usually more expensive to replace nice cars than what you get to sell them. I have several VWs and I don't use them all. But, they are paid for and cheap to keep. So why sell them if they do not cost much to keep?

DON'T PANIC. You should well consider how much you will miss not having one or the other or both. With a child, I would keep the van. Our two kids LOVE our Westy. They have much fun with it. You will need a van. Since this is the Vanagon forum, of course, we'll tell you to ditch the Beetle if any of them.....

Do not do any thing rash. You have time. Good luck...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone loves a fire fighter. Lots of deserved respect. I would think that locating another job can be had...you said you have at least a year. Don't sell either VW until you absolutly have to. I commend you for putting your family first, but you have some time. Look around. Perhaps with your firefighting experience, you could get parametic (spelling) training and increase your job opertunities.
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote to keep the VWs...
(you like how we're making decisions for you???)

When my son was a youngin' our '80 Vanagon was a priceless part of our family. We were living in Panama and drove that ol' girl all over Central America.
We used it (and abused it) and the memories we made with the Pumpkin have outlasted any other vehicle we've owned.

james

klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe theres too many firefighters. The current social and political climate makes me think we should be careful about reducing emergency workers. (sorry for using the 'p' word) I know a guy who became a S.F./Oakland firefighter after being EMT for a few years, says he loves it. Those are some nice dubs. I suggest building a larger garage.
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if you must sell something, sell the '65 and keep the Westy. Trading for an older car will cost more in the long run. Your kid will grow up to LOVE the Westy. What's your daily driver? Sell that, instead. My '83 Westy makes a great daily driver.
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it myself. Apparantly there are only too many first responders protecting our own military bases and airports! Shocked
We are going from three man airport crash trucks to two man, and same with heavy rescue...three man to two man. Water tanker manning...gone. Our department might lose as many as 22 people!

I will have a camper...super important for the wife and I and our son to be. I love the comfort of the Vanagon but might be willing to sacrafice some of that for the simplicity of a split.

The bug on the other hand doesn't have alot of practical purpose for us right now. I love both of my VW's, but might need to downsize to one.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea yea, everyone loves a hero...especially one with pepperoni, peppers and cheese that you eat while watching a big screen TV from your Lazyboy at the firehouse. Yea, we tease our firefighters quite a bit here.

I wish my only debt was one credit card. Damn. You are in good financial shape. Don't dump either VWs. Our Westy has become my primary kid transport. Sure beats cuff'n and stuff'n them into the back of my Super Vert. Also, you'll have no problem getting a new job. Seems agencies are always looking for more pole-sliders and hose-draggers. Wink

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
vansmack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the house... keep the vanagon and the bug! Its all about priorities. Wink

Tim

'86 Westy
'03 Passat Wagon Turbo
'03 Ford F150 4x4
'91 Volvo 740 Turbo SOLD
'79 Ford F150 Ranger SOLD
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for "keep the westy" Your Westy looks well cared for (I would love to have those 15" rims!) Do a search, usually people who have sold their Westy's end up totally regreting it Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for keeping the Westy. Sell the 65 pay off as much of the credit card as you can. if you buy a older camper you will end up putting money into it. That money could be used to pay off the remaining debt on the credit card. Your westy looks like it is in great shape, and a comparable condition split is not going to be cheap.
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a civilian federal fire fighter

so why not try for the state / city fire service .

keep both .been there done that. i had a a few vws that i sold for credit card pay off. it didn't work of course. al i did was lower the princable (sp) not the a.p.r . so i was only able to finish paying sooner . with no vw in the driveway.

Sad Sad
bacwmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out SFFD -they are looking for people right now. check out the job posting on the city website (you can take the furture train between the two cities to save gas)
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I had heard that Santa Fe is hiring but the commute would kill me. We are building a house in the S.E. part of Albq...no good way to get to Santa Fe from there.

I am looking into AFD. I don't want to start at the bottom but I might have to. It sure would suck to be a "rookie" again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: